Turbo goes boom...maybe

BobTDI

The Car: 2000 Jetta TDI automatic -60k miles- Stock with Vag-com EGR Mod a few weeks ago together with TB and water pump change and a new MAF (thanx Danix).

The Situation: cruising uphill on a medium grade incline (not driving hard with 20 mo kid in back seat) on Hwy17, b/w Los Gatos and Santa Cruz (for those who know the area) in the Mountains, but NOT high-altitude.

The Sound: It sounded like I blew a tire. Popping sound followed by a huge rush of air (hiss).

The Result: fantastic cloud of smoke behind the car and loud whine of the turbo spinning (the turbine is definitely still spinning, which gives me some hope), and great loss of power. Engine idles fine with no hint of any problems.

My Reaction: stopped the car, checked the oil level (full) restarted the car, pointed it downhill towards my home and cruised it downhill until I got home. Logged into tdiclub.com and researched turbo threads for 2 hours.

Probably not the smartest move to drive back, but 20mo old son in the back, stuck on a mountain road w/o cell phone to call tow truck....oil in the oil pan and it was idling fine, but would jerk and stumble as the turbo kicked in.

My diagnosis:(I am not mechanically inclined, but just guessing)

After researching this site, I think one of two things may have happenned:

1) Boost hose has blown off or torn. (something is still spinning smothly as the turbo kicks in, and all of my oil is in the the oilpan) I am hoping the loss of power is from the lack of a vacuum in the turbo system.

2) Turbos got blown up real good and needs to be replaced.

The Question: What do I do next????

How do I know if it was simply a boost hose, how do I check it, and what should I do next?

Can I replace myself? Do I need to have it towed to a mechanic?

If the turbo went bye bye, should I go to a dealer?

Does it need to be towed from my home?

Is this covered under the powertrain warranty at 65k miles?

I don't think that the TB change or EGR mod is connected with this, but could the TB change or EGR mod be connected with this?

btw for those of you in the bay area- Tim Tomas (http://www.tomassporttuning.com) did a great job with the TB Change, brought all parts from dieselgeek.com and he charged a really fair price for labor with exceptional service. Car ran fantastic afterwards, but I'll save the rest for another thread.

I would appreciate any advice for what to do next, thank you.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If I were going to guess, I would say that one of the intake hose clamps popped off, the hose between the turbo and the egr (between turbo and intercooler and between ic and egr). Should't be a big deal to trak down and fix. Unless the IC cracked...

I mean, it sounds like an 'oh sh!t' moment, but it isn't that bad at all.

BobTDI

Yes..Yes.. Yes..

Took the day off work today, said my baby was sick (its true!!), and crawled allover my engine.

Found a hose that was disconected, but it was a ***** to get to.

I finally took off the fromt right wheel to get to it and was able to remove the clip,pop the hose back on and replace the clip.

The clip that keeps it in place is a tiny flimsy wire type. I will take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

But since putting the hose back in place the car works fine!!!

It was the tube that leads to the hard plastic pipe that leads to a small mini-radiator type device under the front right bumper grill. I ma guessing this is the intercooler.

I will post some pics with a few questions once I figure out how.

Thanks for your help Weedeater and cage!!!

Guys like you make this forum really great for non-technical guys like me who still love their TDI's.

cage

Top Post Dawg
I am amazed that hose doesn't pop off on all TDI's. I took mine off a few weeks ago to clean the intercooler and 1/2 cup of oil came dumping out. With all that lubrication I am surprised they stay on at all.