The time has come... out with the old, in with a new Passat.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I was NOT amused. :mad:
I'm not amused either. And I have read the manual several times.

A smart phone with a dumb old man behind the wheel pushing buttons trying to drive is a bad combination. One day I may figure it out, but for now, I prefer to drive more and talk on the phone less.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just uploaded a demonstration of the rain-sensing auto-close feature for the windows and sunroof. Note: It's a lot more sensitive if you use a spray bottle rather than pouring water over the sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csex2ceKyqE

edit: linked the wrong video originally

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Fixed the link! I blame youtube's auto-play for the original incorrect link. ;)

Niner

OK boys... no cheating... time to show some TomB worthy mileage... MPG Consumption2 pics. I know you two were out joy riding this weekend in your new toy.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How many miles on MFA2? Just gotta check because it can be reset independently of the trip odometer. :)

Yeah we were out cruising around. MFA2 is showing ~38 mpg for the tank. Almost time for its first fill-up!

Niner

How many miles on MFA2? Just gotta check because it can be reset independently of the trip odometer. :)

Yeah we were out cruising around. MFA2 is showing ~38 mpg for the tank. Almost time for its first fill-up!
Route 2 was reset when I last filled up, at the same time. As was regular trip odometer with the push button on the cluster.

Some observations... it takes me 2 gallons of usage of fuel from fully topped off and burped to get the needle to move off of full. Each tick mark represents a gallon of fuel until you get to the reserve section, where it is worth 2.5 gallons. I am showing about 9 to 9 1/4 gallons of fuel used. 465.3 miles traveled on this tank.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Very good! That puts you on track for a 900 mile tank. :cool:

Niner

Very good! That puts you on track for a 900 mile tank. :cool:

Not even gonna try that gamble, but I may head to Vegas anyway for some loose slot action, though I know the mtn bike on the back rack will pinch me 3 mpg for that portion of the tank, if I get out to ride the Blue Diamond/Red Rock area west of town. I had 228 miles on the beginning of this tank doing Beverly Hills trips moving furniture, plus the Coldwater canyon /Sunset Blvd Action /Bel Air romp, dragging the beginning of the tank down to an overall average of 46.5 MPG before the trip up to Matt98ville /Santa Ynez for the Kenda Cup races.

I really think that temps in the mid 70's F crank the MPG up rather effortlessly.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Niner, why aren't you using that huge trunk you've got there for the bike???

Niner

Niner, why aren't you using that huge trunk you've got there for the bike???
I use that huuuuuge trunk and rear seats for all my camping gear, since I can't afford to fuel a motor home. Sometimes,, this trunk doesn't feel that deep, top to bottom in the height dept, and sometimes the hinges do get in the way when I have bulky stuff in there.

It's pointless to risk pulling wheels, or bending brake rotors, or hydraulic brakes on mtn bikes leaking going up and down over mountain passes while in route, so I installed a trailer hitch for a hitch mounted bicycle rack, and just leave the bike completely assembled.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How much did the hitch for the Passat set you back?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Hey Niner, those numbers look very much like what I am getting these days, one thing I noticed is you have 465 miles and have not reached the 1/2 tank mark(looks like you will get 500ish), I can't quit get that much mileage on a 1/2 tank as I just can't get 18.5 gallons in there. I can get to around 430-440 at 1/2 tank(averaging 50-51mpg's) so I'm guessing you have approx 1.5 gallons more than I can get.

Niner

Hey Niner, those numbers look very much like what I am getting these days, one thing I noticed is you have 465 miles and have not reached the 1/2 tank mark(looks like you will get 500ish), I can't quit get that much mileage on a 1/2 tank as I just can't get 18.5 gallons in there. I can get to around 430-440 at 1/2 tank(averaging 50-51mpg's) so I'm guessing you have approx 1.5 gallons more than I can get.
I put the pump on automatic... drop a deuce.... put the pump on again, wash the front and rear windows, put the pump on again, and that pretty much burps all the foam out for a full tank to the brim. And if the Ahole that's in a hurry behind me doesn't like it, because he's late for work, he should have gotten there before me, as it's common knowledge that the early bird gets the worm, er fuel. Better yet, either leave early, or fill up on your drive home from work.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
LOL!

The point is that #1 trip reading can be skewed, set, or rigged to get the "optimal" reading for MPG. Even #2 is suspect if reset frequently.

I personally set #2 every tank and it is about 1 mpg optimistic over actual miles driven/gallons pumped per tank.

That #1 reading of 199 MPG was for 20 miles of driving, so it is accurate for that tiny slice of the whole picture. That slice happened to be the DOWN HILL side of a trip Westbound I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State to North Bend Washington, so going from 3,400 feet to 500 foot elevation over the whole distance. This car definitely freewheels/coasts in the D setting.

My point was that the #1 setting is NOT a valid representation of actual OVERALL MPG, merely snapshots or MAXIMUM POTENTIAL values.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
#1 will give an accurate and valid reading for the period that it is allowed to read. Of course you can reset it whenever, wherever to give a very narrow reading.

#1 gives you a very good idea of what your economy is on your current TRIP, while #2 is for the current TANK. Of course that depends on you, the driver, to reset them accordingly.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I forgot to mention that our Passat won't freewheel... Need to do some investigating with VCDS to see if there's an adaptation to turn it on.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I forgot to mention that our Passat won't freewheel... Need to do some investigating with VCDS to see if there's an adaptation to turn it on.
Are you driving in S or D mode? Freewheeling only works in D mode.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It doesn't do it in D either.

Considering buying a VCDS today... I'd love to compare soft coding with someone who has an early car.

-J

Niner

I'm wondering if Vw started a reflash of a new version of software /firmware for the e coast feature being removed?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I drive in D normally. I am aware of how freewheeling is supposed to function, but our car just doesn't do it.

I suspect that VW turned off the freewheeling function due to complaints from owners who are used to conventional automatics. If you read previous freewheeling posts/threads, you'll notice a cutoff point in time (manufacturing dates) where people have stopped referencing the freewheeling function. Before that point in time, several people were making comments about it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't recall freewheeling in the Passat we had here last August. And I would have noticed.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wasn't the freewheeling added after the initial introduction? Like in Decmeber or January?

BeetleGo

TDI
Pardon me, but what exactly is free wheeling?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pardon me, but what exactly is free wheeling?
The trans "neutrals" itself when no input is detected on either pedal. Nothing new, lots of American cars do this, and VAG had an ill-fated autobox some decades ago called the "E-mode" that did it as well. It is a feature that is intended to reduce fuel consumption. Some find it quite annoying.

BeetleGo

TDI
I knew there was a reason that I liked standard transmissions better!