What did you do to your car today?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I gave Brian a hard time about the 357s when he put them in, but from the way the car sounds and how he reports it drives he's getting plenty of fuel. Impressive work on Jeff's part.

On the TDI race car we got 170 WHP out of Sprint 520s. It's all in the tune.

X2 on what Peter is saying

and Mech44 I really put the 357's in for an experment in fuel economy. and because when I took the head off, there was A LOT of carbon on the tops of the pistons.

I really think that most tdi clubbers have a hard time understanding my commute. I go from Boston to Boston. . . every day. Its ALL city driving now. so my old nozzles and tune were wasted in traffic.

I knew I was taking a big step down. . so I saved the 502's. but with this new tune. I have set of nozzles for sale.:D

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Brian's becoming an old man....that's the real story...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just said good-bye to the B4V. It's headed to Montana. Now I'm down to two registered cars. And a few projects.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I gave Brian a hard time about the 357s when he put them in, but from the way the car sounds and how he reports it drives he's getting plenty of fuel. Impressive work on Jeff's part.

On the TDI race car we got 170 WHP out of Sprint 520s. It's all in the tune.
But... some sprints flow like race nozzles LOL.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Just said good-bye to the B4V. It's headed to Montana. Now I'm down to two registered cars. And a few projects.
Don't worry you'll get visitation rights on Saturday if you want with the Mk 5;)

jwweatherman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, ALH
btcost said:
I blew the head gasget

So when I rebuilt to defer the cost I sold my 11mm pump.

and these day I tend to only drive the car in the city. so no need for the 11mm, PP502's, and a 6k RPM tune. .

car and tune now perfectly match the driving conditions I am in 90% of the time
City driving... my absolute least favorite part of DC. I just got the 17/22 kit from IDparts and am heading the other direction, going from RC3 to RC5 (I think). As long as I can keep my outbound commute I think I'll be alright.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
jwweatherman said:
City driving... my absolute least favorite part of DC. I just got the 17/22 kit from IDparts and am heading the other direction, going from RC3 to RC5 (I think). As long as I can keep my outbound commute I think I'll be alright.

you will be fine. I also now have a 2nd car a 1987 M-B 300D. Which I really love, and drive on the weekends. So these days I am barely ever on the highway with the Jetta. and when I am its in traffic!

go for stage 5, but maybe keep the nozzles to pp520's , if you do a lot of city driving the 502's/764's will just make you soot up!

you will love the 17/22

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Today I installed new lifters/Colt cam/bearings/tb/water pump, and newly balanced injectors with race nozzles. First thing, the darn PD150 crank pulley isn't shaped like a BEW like I had thought, it's more akin to a BRM style. That, and the "fancy" hydraulic dampened tensioner setup made things interesting! This was my 2nd TB job and my 1st PD motor, the belt is a very snug fit. I was about to fire it up and break in the cam for 20 minutes at 2k rpm until I realized it was 11:30PM. I don't think my neighbors want to listen to my 3" straight exhaust this late so I gotta wait until after work tomorrow to test it out. I hope everything works out well.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Farfromovin said:
Today I installed new lifters/Colt cam/bearings/tb/water pump, and newly balanced injectors with race nozzles. First thing, the darn PD150 crank pulley isn't shaped like a BEW like I had thought, it's more akin to a BRM style. That, and the "fancy" hydraulic dampened tensioner setup made things interesting! This was my 2nd TB job and my 1st PD motor, the belt is a very snug fit. I was about to fire it up and break in the cam for 20 minutes at 2k rpm until I realized it was 11:30PM. I don't think my neighbors want to listen to my 3" straight exhaust this late so I gotta wait until after work tomorrow to test it out. I hope everything works out well.

I bow to you...I wish I was doing that to my BEW!!! :p

warden_nd85

TDI
2006 Jetta
Finally fixed the washer fluid hose! I dare not post the pics of my original quick fix.... There was lots of duct tape and it sure wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
btcost said:
... I also now have a 2nd car a 1987 M-B 300D. Which I really love, and drive on the weekends. ...
Brian, you've been infected with Peter-itis, grabbing up an old Benz. Or is it something in Boston's water supply? I guess I'll know something is really amiss if MrChill shows up in a Benz.:p

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
> What did you do to your car today?

Um.... nothing. Day's not done yet... but I'm pretty sure it'll still be nothing.

<sigh>

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Powder Hound said:
Brian, you've been infected with Peter-itis, grabbing up an old Benz. Or is it something in Boston's water supply? I guess I'll know something is really amiss if MrChill shows up in a Benz.:p
Other way 'round. Brian got me to pay attention to these cars. Wanted one when they were new, could in no way afford one.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
Chill does have one!

He has the BIG Benz. A 1992 w140

It's the s300. It does not run very well at this time however.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Woohoo! Broke my cam in and did some test drivin'. The cam just gives a little bit more "readiness" to jump once the go pedal goes down. It's just a little more on edge now.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Farfromovin said:
Woohoo! Broke my cam in and did some test drivin'. The cam just gives a little bit more "readiness" to jump once the go pedal goes down. It's just a little more on edge now.
And what about those new fancy injectors?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
oldpoopie said:
And what about those new fancy injectors?
They are wonderful thanks to DBW!!! :) Couldn't do a smoke test because it was pretty rainy out. All I know is the car is smooth, but a little snappier than before. I have the worlds worse butt dyno, I'll admit it. Planning on dyno time this month.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
warden_nd85 said:
Finally fixed the washer fluid hose! I dare not post the pics of my original quick fix.... There was lots of duct tape and it sure wasn't pretty.

Well as long as it does the job...and that does look better than duct tape. I fixed mine a couple years ago with a spare piece of silicone vacuum line. No clamps required and its still working great.

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
2005 Passat GLS

disabled DRL - after having spent several weeks with VAG-COM, I simply used Scotch tape on the pins B, 56D and TFL of the euroswitch (sold here by Capo-GTI). No more DRL, but can use parking lights (city lights), low beams, high beams and/or fogs.

Using VAG-COM - turned off seat belt chime and warning light, made the cluster to display temperature in Celcius (I don't like Fahrenheits) and display time in 24 hr format, as in 23:00 aka 11:00 PM). Also forced the ECU to do double chirp while unlocking with the remote.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
delvi__acevedo said:
what a beautiful car!!
Tnx delvi, all I need now is a nice R32 interior and I'll be able to keep up with the Joneses ;-)

Last edited: