BFG Traction TA V's OR Bridgestone Potenza g009

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
BFG Traction TA V\'s OR Bridgestone Potenza g009

Hey Gang,

I need new tires badly. I had a set of Potenza RE950's on my contour and loved them, except they where barf in the snow. I hear the G009's are better, but wonder how much wet and dry traction I lose. Then I've heard great things about the new BFG Traction TA V's.

I drive fast highway, corner like I'm autocrossing, and like hard lauches, yet I don't want to die in the snow and rain.

Any one have any feelings either way on these two?

Thanks,

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Ok I didn't specify a time for the poll, So I have no idea why it's off by 12 hours. Doesn't allow me to edit it, just the post. Grrr...

Sorry,

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver

If you do alot of driving in the snow and really want great traction in the winter (assuming that you have a convenient place to store a set of tires) I would recomend looking on Ebay for an extra set of rims (alot of people get the wider low profile tires and sell their OEM rims on Ebay). I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeilita II's for the winter and they are awesome in the snow (like to go skiing in VT.). I think it is tough for any tire to be really great year round if you need good performance in snow.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Re: BFG Traction TA V\'s OR Bridgestone Potenza g00

Agreed, snow tires are a wonderful thing. I have Green Diamond Ultra Trac's for the winter on my stock 15" rims and have a set of 16" rims for the summer.

This works well because the smaller rim is great in the winter and the 16" gives you lots of tire options.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

I live in Mi but don't drive too much in the snow actually. We normally get hit about 5 times hard, I just need to be able to get to work, don't matter if it takes a while, I just don't want the problem I had with the 950's where I couldn't get moving at stop lights. If it was on an up hill, with only about an inch I'd slide sideways off the crown of the road in my contour.

So I'm lookking for a great dry wet all season, that can still move the car in the snow. Most of my winter driving is in the wet anyways since they salt the heck out of our roads here.

Unfortunitly I live in an apartment with no place to store an extra set of rims

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver

Gotcha. If you want to do some reading on people's opinions of various tire options "www.tirerack.com" is a good source of information. Many people rate their tires and post their opinion of them on there. I find that you are always going to have an occasional complaint against any tire; but when you see an unusually high percentage then it is a pretty good indicator of a poor performer.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Re: BFG Traction TA V\'s OR Bridgestone Potenza g009

I had the BFG's on my previous car, a BMW 3 series, and absolutely loved them, they had fantastic wet and dry traction. I even autocrossed with them with great results.

Codger

TDI
deciding to purchase

Had Bridgestones. Out of balance issues within 10k. Turned out to be tread separation and the dealer gave me grief about it. Enough said. 30k on the BFG and have worked very well even driving through the heavy downpours that we had earlier thjis summer.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS

Funny you are asking this question, I am at the same point for tires and will be buying very soon. I was also looking at both these tires and have heard very good things about the traction T/A. I have had BFG before and liked them.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black

I have had great success with BFG's on my truck in the past so I put a pair of the Traction T/A's on the Golf. The wet/dry/performance is very good, but I am very dissapointed with the treadwear. I have 23K on them right now and am not real sure they will go any further than 30K. They are wearing very rapidly.

WAZ

TDI
2003 golf black

I have traction ta on my wifes passat and g009 on my golf tdi. They are both great in wet or dry conditions and both good in snow for an all season tire. The only real difference is the g009's show very little wear after over 20,000 miles and appear as if they may go 60,000 or more. The traction ta's are showing more wear about 14,000 on them. could be just the difference between the cars though

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Gotcha. If you want to do some reading on people's opinions of various tire options "www.tirerack.com" is a good source of information. Many people rate their tires and post their opinion of them on there. I find that you are always going to have an occasional complaint against any tire; but when you see an unusually high percentage then it is a pretty good indicator of a poor performer.
Funny you should mention tirerack.com the whole reason I started this post is because tirerack doesn't list the traction T/A's anymore. Even if I pick an 05 mustang v6, where they were OEM on.

I got a set of BFG's for the wife since they were best bang for the buck, and either one is overbuying for her slow focus.

If Anyone figures out how to get tirerack to show the BFG's let me know.

Thanks,

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Hi CGR,

Sounds simular to my 950's I had, held like mad in the corners, (I had a full suspension kit on my contour) I need more rear bar, the tires were not the limit. However after 20k I was over 60% through them. Do you drive like an autocrosser on the highway ramps? I do.

Curious if our driving style has a lot to do with it.

Thanks,

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Hmm this seems to be a pattern, though the have a 60k treadwear warranty everyone seems to get 30k out of them.

Wish I could get the treadwear rating on the BFG's.

From the sounds of my driving style I'll be happy with the BFG's. so far.

Hey WAZ how your wife drive that 3500lb car? If she drives like me, I'm not surprised, if not then I'd be worried.

Thanks for all the info so far gang,

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black

I drive somewhat aggressively at times, but for the most part I do not. I have a Neuspeed RSB installed along with the sport springs and the Bilstein TC's. I do not drive the car beyond the limit of the tire where they are sliding or sqeeling. For the most part I just have the suspension done to minimize body roll and increse the responsiveness, not so much for going faster all the time. I would say I am conservative the majority of the time. I will not replace my current set of BFG's with another set. I am pretty dissapointed with them. Their rain performance has dropped off a bit as well in the last couple of thousand miles. The alignment is good and I am running 40 psi all around.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Alright to add more confusion, talked to my guy at Belle, (does our fleet vehicals), he is raving about the goodyear assurance triple edge. Actually recommended them when I said I drive autocross style on exit ramps.

Anyone use them? A search found nothing.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI

Ok I had to bite the bullet. My "good" front tire picked up a screw and won't hold air, while the bald one is fine. Go figure.

Getting BFG Traction TA H's for ~419 out the door with 4 wheel alignment. Bridgestone were going to run ~445 and wouldn't be able to get them for 4 days. Goodyear A TT's ~490.

Came down to price, My wife has the same tires, and I have a huge problem buying a B temp rated tire that is only an all season. Not a high performance all season. If you wonder why read my original post on my driving style

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll let you know how they do in the snow.