Hertz To Offer Jetta TDI

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
In California, try Capo VW.

Something just occurred to me . . there's a fairly large Ford dealer near me that for years has
rented Fords and the operation isn't just connected to their service dept/body shop
and isn't run by Enterprise of anything like that.
It is,essentially, a stand alone rental agency.
I'm wondering if any VW dealers are known to do that kind of thing?
I'd *love* to be able to rent a 4 cylinder VW (or Audi) TDI for a day or two
in anticipation of my MB being stolen and not recovered, totaled, etc. :eek:
:)

Don't know of any in your area, but out here, Capistrano VW used to. Don't know whether they still do or not.

I believe that they are probably selling all the TDIs vehicles that they can get!

:D

DHG

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Finally! Maybe now I'll stop mis-fueling their Jettas with Diesel since that's all I've driven for the last 6 years... (and likely all I will drive for the next 6 years). :)

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Prediction #42

MPBsr: > Had to sign a waiver that I was responsible for any
> damage if gas was pumped into the system.
> I could just imagine what's going to happen with the TDI rentals.

My guess is that they'll have a similar waiver requirement,
and mention nothing about the actual costs (in part
because the counter clerk will have no clue). This will
sting about one driver per month, until it happens to
the first renting lawyer ...

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Rented Golf and Passat Tdis in Europe when ever I get a chance.

In England, they don't just drive on the other side of the road, they put the gearstick on your left side as well.

Takes a little adjusting....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Rented Golf and Passat Tdis in Europe when ever I get a chance.

In England, they don't just drive on the other side of the road, they put the gearstick on your left side as well.

Takes a little adjusting....
Do the wipers park on the right and sweep to the left?

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
No, but, the wiper switch is where the wiper is on our cars, and when the wipers get switched on by accident, it says "dumb american, dumb american". At least that is what I heard when driving in New Zealand. Shifting with the left hand was easier than remembering where that turn signal switch was, at least for me...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
No, but, the wiper switch is where the turn signal is on our cars, and when the wipers get switched on by accident, it says "dumb american, dumb american". At least that is what I heard when driving in New Zealand. Shifting with the left hand was easier than remembering where that turn signal switch was, at least for me...
I have run into a similar situation with a forklift and a truck. Turning around the truck, I couldn't figure out why I kept turning on the turn signals until I realized on the forklift the FNR lever is there.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
My Peugeot 504D wagon had the headlight on/off lever one the left side of the steering column and the turn signal lever on the right side. I made more than one left turn at night with the headlights off as I went back and forth between different vehicles.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I searched Hertz at the airports I sometimes go to: LEX, SDF, DEN, SLC & SFO - the "Green Traveller Collection" option produced NO Jettas at all, least of all TDIs. Can't misfuel what is not there. The choices in the Green Traveller Collection are not very green, IMO.
They don't offer them at their airport locations, just their "Local Edition" locations. I saw that a place in southern Georgia had them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They don't offer them at their airport locations, just their "Local Edition" locations. I saw that a place in southern Georgia had them.
More likely to get the chance to tell the renter "If you put gas in it, you own it!".

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The problem with that,in the US at least (if not in Canada),is that the typical renter will say "what's diesel?"
I know, I was posting that for fun (FWIW, it was the keys to our rental on a brief UK holiday back in '04, and the car was a B5.5 Passat, 1.9 TDI PD, manual:
)

I saw a local VW dealer use a Jetta TDI as a garage courtesy car. I thought that was pretty gutsy. They did put a bright yellow and red "diesel only" label over the fuel cap that was big enough to go at least half the length of the quarter panel :eek:

Pretty hard to miss!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
My dealer has 2 tdi loaners with big "diesel fuel only" stickers on the fuel doors!!!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
My dealer has 2 tdi loaners with big "diesel fuel only" stickers on the fuel doors!!!
I also have received a diesel loaner from my dealer. I think they would only let someone have it if they already drove a diesel, not a customer with a gas rig. Of course, I imagine if someone specificly requested it they would allow it. If they ask, that should mean they know what it is! :D

tompa99

TDI
Golf Wagon
I think this is a good marketing move. It will expose people to diesels who might otherwise not experience them.
Yup, that's my experience exactly: I rented a TDI from Enterprise in Scotland five years ago, was totally impressed with both fuel economy and performance, and determined to buy one when I needed to replace my Subaru Outback. Which I just did. BTW, there did not seem to be any great concern on the part of Enterprise regarding the correct fuel, but maybe people are more used to diesels in that part of the world.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I just got back from the UK where my rental was a Golf TSI.

I rented from Europcar. They indicate the fuel type, in this case premium unleaded, on the key fob. Like you say people over there are fuel-alert.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I have a friend who works for Hertz. He says he can get a break on the rental price. I may have to take one out for a FLOG ;):p

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
I rented a BMW 320D last year in Germany and the lady at the counter was very specific that I (a stupid American) understand that I was to use Diesel ONLY. She was shocked when I requested a Diesel Wagon with a Manual trans as most American tourist prefer the Gas SUV option.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
She was shocked when I requested a Diesel Wagon with a Manual trans as most American tourist prefer the Gas SUV option.
Which German rental agency has gas powered SUVs in the fleet? Typically, rentals buy what has good resale value. SUV without diesel -> impossible to resell.
Good choice on the 320d though. How did you like it?

TDI
05.5 DSG, 10 DSG
Bringing back an old Thread.

But to confirm TDI's are out there at Hertz.

I stumbled upon a Jetta TDI rental from Hertz in Kissimmee Florida.

When I landed at the airport I had no idea Hertz even had TDI's. Work takes me out of town two weeks a month so I end up renting a ton of cars, all from Hertz. I landed my plane at Kissimmee airport and across the ramp there were multiple VW Jettas sitting there. The guys at the FBO(airplane gas station) asked me which one I would like and picked the one with the alloy wheels. Jumped in started it up and thought the starter sounded an awful lot like my 2010 TDI. Still had no idea it was a TDI at this point. Push the go pedal and notice the turbo whine. I pushed the go pedal further and confirmed it. Biggest treat I've ever had during a work week. I'm usually stuck driving some mind numbing Japanese or American blah box that you have to mash throttle down to find meager torque. But this week Oil Burner beauty.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
...there's a fairly large Ford dealer near me that for years has rented Fords and the operation isn't just connected to their service dept/body shop and isn't run by Enterprise of anything like that.It is,essentially,a stand alone rental agency.I'm wondering if any VW dealers are known to do that kind of thing.
In Germany they have "Euromobil", which is a rental service operated by the VW dealer network.
http://euromobil.de/en/en_index.html

The prices look either good or bad, depending on the dealership - apparently they all have different ideas what the various models are worth. But a weekend in a convertible can be had for a very reasonable price in my area:

Q7 4.2 TDI anyone?

Tiguan TDI? Passat wagon TDI?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

When I landed at the airport I had no idea Hertz even had TDI's. Work takes me out of town two weeks a month so I end up renting a ton of cars, all from Hertz. I landed my plane at Kissimmee airport and across the ramp there were multiple VW Jettas sitting there. The guys at the FBO(airplane gas station) asked me which one I would like and picked the one with the alloy wheels. Jumped in started it up and thought the starter sounded an awful lot like my 2010 TDI. Still had no idea it was a TDI at this point. Push the go pedal and notice the turbo whine. I pushed the go pedal further and confirmed it. Biggest treat I've ever had during a work week. I'm usually stuck driving some mind numbing Japanese or American blah box that you have to mash throttle down to find meager torque. But this week Oil Burner beauty.
From coast to coast, I've yet to find a diesel. I mostly rent from Hertz and have had a couple of Jetta and Passat gassers in the last several months. The major airport Hertz places have never heard of Diesel engines.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Holy misfuel, Batman!

Can you imagine inattentive American tourists on vacation driving an insanely quiet Diesel car for the first time? With their head up somewhere where it doesn't belong at the "gas" station?

Although I did read that the 2013 models have idiot-proof fuel filler necks.......

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Although I did read that the 2013 models have idiot-proof fuel filler necks.......
Yep they do. My wife's new 2013 has it. Pretty slick. My 2011 has that ugly yellow DIESEL ONLY GAZOLE SEULEMENT rosette on it instead.

Every single self-propelled vehicle in our yard is diesel so not much chance of a mis-fuel (in addition to the 3 TDI, a Kubota diesel lawn tractor). Only our push mower, weed eater and chainsaw are gas powered. Then there's my plane, at $80 an hour for fuel ($2 per liter and 226 liter capacity :eek: ) I wish it were diesel powered...