DSG Longevity

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
Trying to find a 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 6sp manual is like searching for a unicorn. I see 20:1 DSG to manual. I'm not new to the DSG since I had a 12 Passat SEL DSG that was sold back to VW previously @ 90K miles and currently drive a 06 Jetta DSG with 155K miles. I was hoping to avoid the $300 DSG service every 40K miles. Plan on running a Malone 2.0 tune on the car as I've done with the last 2 cars and I understand that the DSG tune is not required for the 15 TDI. I'm just concerned about the long term reliability of the DSG transmission as I expect this car to get 200K+ miles in the next 6-7 years. I'll likely be towing small trailer with race bike to tracks up to 1K miles away.
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I despise self-shifting transmissions, but in the VAG world the 02E DSG seems to hold up reasonably well.

My experience with servicing them since they came about in 2004 is that they rarely ever up and "fail", but they all seem to eventually need a DMF replacement, which can be as soon as 100k miles but many go much longer. If they need one, and get neglected, they will strip the splines out and in rare cases mangle the input shaft which is part of the clutch assembly as well as mangle the pilot bearing in the end of the crank. Both of which can be pricey to fix, depending on how bad (I have had to R&R a BRM's crankshaft once to have our machine shop drill out and sleeve for a new pilot bearing, it was so mangled).

The other issue is if pretty much anything electronically fails, the M-unit gets replaced. Not very common, but it happens, and it is a somewhat expensive part.

They seem to be well matched to the CR TDI engines, though. And their shift mapping has improved with every generation, so they are actually really quite good now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
buy it and send it. DIY DGS fluid change isn't that hard, ($100 for parts) if you got "race bikes", it'll be a piece of cake for you.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
09-14 dsg software is fairly different, 15s are fine without it but it does liven things up a bit. DSGs are a fair bit tougher than the manuals, they seem to be able to take some abuse

https://youtu.be/gHX57EERaOE?t=164 (car was on stock clutches for awhile too)

https://youtu.be/JBkF2IX3r_o?t=405

There's a lot of people that would be very excited to get these transmissions working in older cars, nothing really off the shelf currently.