Passat TDI Automatic Transmission Gurgling

badgervwman

TDI
[2003 Jetta] [2004 Passat]
Passat TDI Automatic Transmission Gushing Noise Shifting

Hello, I have a 2004 VW Passat with an automatic transmission (tiptronic) that has 187,000 miles on it. I'm hearing a gurgling noise coming from the transmission when I shift gears in reverse and into drive. I started hearing this sound after I had a water pump replaced a second time. I'd like to know if this is normal for them too drop in trans fluid and just need a top up. :confused: :eek:

What is the best thing to do should I refill it and top it off or drain everything and drop the pan and replace the filter? I've read on other forums that replacing the original fluid and with fresh fluid will cause more damage and slippage. It's been shifting fine until I noticed this gushing noise just recently.
I'm stuck in a spot if I should do the service myself or take it took a local shop. I parked it for now and been driving my Jetta.

Thank you for your help,
Brandon

Last edited:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Likely the gurgling your hearing is related to the waterpump. Sound like you have air in your cooling system. You need to bleed the system of air. If you slide the clamps back on the two core hoses and slide the hoses back you'll notice bleed holes. Air trapped will do that. Gurgling from your trans is way less likely

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Gurgle noises in the dash from coolant through the heater core is somewhat common on the B5s, especially the TDIs, I suspect due to the extra path from the EGR cooler which has no bleed port on it (like the ALH has). It is I think a bit of a red herring, as many of them do it (mine did since it was new).

You can access the bleed port on the heater hose and maybe burp a little more air out of the system if it is already remaining at the full mark in the bottle. Sometimes this helps.

It isn't your transmission.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
A note on the bleed port - this is a hole in the metal pipe going into the heater core. You pull the hose back to uncover it.

Depending on how much air is trapped in there it might take a long time to burp out.

-J

badgervwman

TDI
I can hear it outside underneath my car I swear it's the transmission. It only does it when I shift into reverse and drive I know it's not my heater core inside the dash.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hmmmm.... I've never listened to my Passats like that, maybe they do it too.

Obviously if you are sure it is from the transmission and it is an unusual noise, then I would check the fluid level.

You may ask whomever did the water pump if when they pulled the lock carrier into service position if they removed the ATF cooler connections, because if they did that BOTH times, then the unit may be low on fluid. I admit I do not know what one of these sounds like with low fluid.

badgervwman

TDI
That's what I was thinking, it's under warranty service for the water pump. I'll have a talk with them at the shop and take it in. Thank you

Last edited: