rear wheel bearing removal

sycofiend71

TDI
2006 blue graphite 55,000 miles, average 44mpg. Sold :( 2014 Passat TDI (Wife)
Pass side on 06 jetta, rear wheel bearing removal. I have an exploded view of rotor,dust cap, bolt, and cover plate. What kind of puller do I use to remove bearing. Any thing else I need to know would be a great help. Thanks!!!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No puller is needed once you have the center bolt off, but you may encounter difficulty getting that bolt out in the first place. The exposed threads on the inside corrode and make it next to impossible to get out. I paid someone else to do mine, and it took him more than an hour of cussing and swearing (and plenty of really big tools and heat from a torch) to get it apart.

sycofiend71

TDI
2006 blue graphite 55,000 miles, average 44mpg. Sold :( 2014 Passat TDI (Wife)
Unfourtunatly I dont have the money to pay someone to do it.....

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
It's not unheard of, but 55K seems like premature death for a wheel bearing. Just from the experience standpoint I removed two perfectly good wheel bearings thinking the noise was a flat spot in the bearing.
Several others who listened to the noise thought it was a flat spot in the bearing. NTB (National Tire & Battery) technicians thought it was a bad bearing. It was not.

A co-worker with uncanny mechanical instincts reached into the wheel well and felt the inner edge of the tire. "It's scalloped. That's your thump."
And he was right! New tires, noise gone. I failed to rotate my tires which caused the wear. Lesson learned.