We walked Away

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Saturday, on our way to Cape Breton we hit a torrential downpour and hydroplaned, spun around several times and went into the median backwords. Everyone got out of the Golf with only scratches.

The first glance the car looks great. All the doors open and close, no broken glass, cracked front and rear bumper, three tires off the rims. Now the bad news, car is totally twisted, hatch opens and closes but has 3 inch gap at bottom, front of left rear seat is 1 inch behind back of right seat. All three tow truck drivers said car is write off. Conatcting Insurance this morning to start claims procedure. Wish me luck.

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Galatic Blue
Yes, glad everyone is ok, but you gotta like the "toughness" of VW's and the passenger compartments for sure. Hopefully they will let you "buy back" your car cheap (after they right it off) so you have a parts car.......

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Whoa! Glad you and your family are OK, Kevin. I too hit one of those just north of Montreal and had to do a pretty quick brake and avoidance to miss some goon that thinks locking up the car is a smart move on a four lane. We got lucky and managed to stay on the road.

I'm sure this will work out fine for you. As a rule the insurance companies are pretty good to get you back on the road. You weren't some punk kid in a tuner and they realize that.

I'll be home in a couple weeks and well be having an afternoon gtg shortly after... you get the podium first!

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Glad to hear you're all ok - scary thing that, spining off the road.
On the birght side, you probably don't need to reset the CEL now...:eek:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
SCary stuff, shame about the car but glad to hear of no serious injuries. Rear facing is actually one of the best ways to hit something if you have to hit something.

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Insurance company told my wife they want to fix it in New Glasgow. They refuse to ship the car to Halifax. Wolf tells me even if it is a mild twist it can't be done there, there are only about a dozen laser frame straighteners in the province and none in New Glasgow. They said the car doesn't sound good, but they would have to see it first.

I guess I have a fight on my hands. I may just flatbed the car to Halifax myself.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
If the frame is twisted, fight to get it wrote off. Even if the frame gets straigthened it will never drive the same because there is only so much that can be done. The metal has been weakened from the stress of the twisting and the next time anything happens it will most likely break.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Kevin showed me pics of the car today, and you can clearly see the results of a twisted frame.
I hope that the insurance company settles it as a write-off.

Thanks again for the fuel filter how-to, Kevin!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya, once you crumple a crumple zone or twist the frame, it will never ever be as strong if you pull it back out.

-Jason

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
compu_85 said:
Ya, once you crumple a crumple zone or twist the frame, it will never ever be as strong if you pull it back out.

-Jason
It's called work hardening. The metal actually becomes stronger (slope of elastic region (modulus of elasticity) goes up, but doesn't extend out as far; therefore the metal loses toughness (resistance to fatigue stresses.) IOW: it gets strong but brittle. It can't be repaired short of taking the body completely off and annealing and heat treating it. IOW: totally impractical.

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
They are writing the car off. Unfortunatly they are not giving me what the car is worth. For what they offered I can only get a 00 or 01 base model. Not a 2003 full load with leather like I had. I guess I have another fight on my hands.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Show them autotrader and the like, they are worth quite a bit more when the prices of fuel dictate the market value. Hopefully they listen to reason. If not you might be able to part it out after a buy-back to recoup the losses :(

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Said goodbye to my baby today. It's going to maritime auto salvage in Truro will be held there until we get thru arbitration. I managed to salvage my marinco plug, monster mats, tuning box, stubby antenna, and TDI Club licence plate frame. :D With those parts and the koni's and springs I am ready to start moding my next car.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Excellent news on the parts you kept. Hope things go smoothly on the fight to determine actual value, though.

What's the point of insurance if it's doesn't give you back what you had? Oh, had an accident? Car's busted? No worries, we'll just replace that 2001 Golf with a 1976 Pinto - freshly painted!

THAT stinks...

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'll put it plainly... ARE THEY NUTZ!! That is a total job... The frame is bent and they want to FIX IT??

Get other estimates.