6 speed manual shift kit?

Rjamesohio

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I just bought a 2015 Golf TDI with the 6 speed. Love the car.

Since it’s a CPO car I won’t likely change much for a few years but I did take it into the dealer and had them look into why it was so difficult to get the car into second gear when downshifting in particular.

They adjusted the linkage and it seemed much better. However - I had a credit with Ecs Tuning and decided to go ahead and order their short shifter kit which has arrived and is now sitting in the box.

Just wondered if anybody has installed a short shifter in their Mark 7 6 speed and if so do you think it improved the shifting or would you stick with the OEM shift linkage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I've changed to the following parts to improve the shifting.

1. European Short Shift Kit (8J0711046E)
2. Torque Solutions Shifter Cable Bushings
3. 42 Draft Designs Shifter Mounting Bracket Bushing Upgrade Kit

I've also done the following too.

1. Clutch Assist Spring Removal
2. Clutch Delay Valve Removal
3. DIY Clutch Stop

There's a lot of good instructions at this post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37719

Overall I've found these things to help improve the shifting of my manual car. FYI if you upgrade to the short shifter, you'll have to realign your linkage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When I had a 6spd, I always had a soft spot for Diesel geeks short shifter, looks like it covers all aspects of the weak design, bushings and mounting brackets.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I haven't had anything to compare other than the DG to stock, but have been running the DG one for over 2 years. It is really nice and makes me want to drive the car. I'd say anything you do will make it better but agree with 740GLE the DG is mostly all in one.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
I've changed to the following parts to improve the shifting.

1. European Short Shift Kit (8J0711046E)
2. Torque Solutions Shifter Cable Bushings
3. 42 Draft Designs Shifter Mounting Bracket Bushing Upgrade Kit

I've also done the following too.

1. Clutch Assist Spring Removal - free
2. Clutch Delay Valve Removal - free
3. DIY Clutch Stop - $2-3 of bits from Home Depot

There's a lot of good instructions at this post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37719

Overall I've found these things to help improve the shifting of my manual car. FYI if you upgrade to the short shifter, you'll have to realign your linkage.

I did a lot of these on our Sportwagen, and my wife loves the way it shifts now. The 2nd trio above (Assist Spring, CDV and DIY Stop) are free, or really cheap and make a nice difference. I used the 42DD Shifter Cable Bushing Kit, but I haven't seen any bad reviews of any brand of bushing kit. I'll also second that Diesel Geek makes well designed & quality stuff!