a/c problems

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
my 20015 vw passat 38,000 miles and the a/c does not go on for a period of time , thinking low freon ?? any help Tdan :mad:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Do an advanced search for RCV replacement. It's a very common problem with VAG products, even your futuristic "20015" Passat!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
pfft, we got another 4 months before you need AC worry about it then, ha!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Seriously??? He's got another 18,000 years before he even GETS the car, and the A/C is already failing????!!!! Way to go, VW!

PLC Geek

TDI
2015 TDI SE 6MT
Last year my A/C started acting up like that too. It would take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to turn on. Then towards the end of last summer it would never turn off and started freezing over the evaporator. When it froze over the the air would quit blowing out of the vents!
Last week I replaced the RCV with one I purchased from Polar Bear Inc - http://rcvvalves.com/
I attended You-Tube University, borrowed an A/C service setup from a buddy, and went at it. The valve was easily accessible from underneath. It did take a little persuasion to pop the old one out. A/C is working properly again for less than $100!

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I have had warranty work on mine 4 times. I am almost to the point of claiming a lemon on it. I have had it since new and we had issues starting about 35k miles. I have had the coolant system flushed umpteen times, the radiator and heater cores replaced maybe a total of 7 times (sometimes it was changed multiple times per service), and the freon charged as many times.

It is just an issue with the flux in the coolant lines causing a chemical reaction with the coolant that gums everything up. And when that happens... the heater core is used to keep the A/C from freezing up. When the A/C runs it will build up condensation and freeze it... and that causes all sorts of issues. (I actually had similar happening on my home HVAC around the first time we had this with the car).

There is a bulletin and it should be covered under warranty.