The realistic what did you pay for your jetta thread

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
So many people have been posting that they are getting these cars for well below invoice. I do not believe it, so please post your actual payment. What the sales price of the car was, what you put down and what the cost of your trade in was. I'd be willing to bet a few of you think you are paying a lot less for your cars than you really are... For example my dealer told me at first oh we will sell you the car for 24,400 and came out with a monthly payment that would be if I bought the car at $25,514. Just because the dealer says you are getting a payment for the lower price doesn't mean they are telling the truth... Often times dealers "screw up" their math... My guess is a lot of people who bought the cars with such low prices also have payments for a higher dollar amount.

I'll go first

Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2011 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG Appearance package tempest Blue Metallic\black interior

Sticker Price: $25,514.00
Vehicle Sale Price:
$24,400.00
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.5% tax and aprox $200-300 in fees and I got 2.9% financing which is the incentive going on now.

Amount Down+ trade in value: $10,000
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $292 \ 60 months 44870

We need the zip to calculate the tax.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
You are never going to get any data from this thread if trades are involved. Dealers can offer you less on the trade and then give you a better price on the car. Or give you a better deal on the trade and less of a discount on the car price. There is no way for you to clean up that math.

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Trades can be muddy the water some, but Not everyone has a trade. Needless to say the dealer will still give you a value for the trade, which we can factor in and see what they actually did.

I'm more so trying to spread awareness that dealers often take advantage of people. They give you a great "deal" but when you calculate out the monthly payment my guess is in a lot of cases that deal isn't nearly as good.

My first quote was for 309 dollars a month, and the dealer said he was selling me the car for $24,400... I had no trade, just cash... Then I questioned him on it, the quote went down to 301 a month... And then I pulled out the print out of what my payment should be... and he said sorry we made a mistake on our math...

Yeah a mistake on their math twice... I doubt... This is a very common dealer tactic, and many people get taken advantage of it. Just trying to make it so others don't...

Not sure if people will be able to go back to their dealers and complain if they were taken advantage of, but I thought I'd try to spread the word some for at least those looking at cars still.

baggsgt

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT
I believe that I am one of those people you are speaking about whose price you didn't believe in the previous thread. I know it seems ridiculous to get a car for so far below invoice (especially in my case since it was a 2012), but it apparantly does happen. I'm having trouble posting the scan of my invoice, but if anyone is in doubt, send me a PM and I'll email a copy.

Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2012 Jetta Sedan TDI w/Premium 6sp MNL Appearance package Platinum Gray Metallic\black interior

Sticker Price: $25,384

Invoice (Truecar.com): $24,276
Vehicle Sale Price: $22,270.00
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.35% tax and $355in fees, no finaning incentives for 2012s, but I got 2.96% for 60 months through normal bank financing

Amount Down+ trade in value: $0 down, $3500 trade on 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T w/146K and CEL and airbag lights on
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $365 \ 60 months 06357

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I believe that I am one of those people you are speaking about whose price you didn't believe in the previous thread. I know it seems ridiculous to get a car for so far below invoice (especially in my case since it was a 2012), but it apparantly does happen. I'm having trouble posting the scan of my invoice, but if anyone is in doubt, send me a PM and I'll email a copy.

Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2012 Jetta Sedan TDI w/Premium 6sp MNL Appearance package Platinum Gray Metallic\black interior

Sticker Price: $25,384

Invoice (Truecar.com): $24,276
Vehicle Sale Price: $22,270.00
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.35% tax and $355in fees, no finaning incentives for 2012s, but I got 2.96% for 60 months through normal bank financing

Amount Down+ trade in value: $0 down, $3500 trade on 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T w/146K and CEL and airbag lights on
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $365 \ 60 months 06357
Man how did you do this... Will you help me buy my next car for me... I believe you... It's just... From what I've read dealer hold back is only 2%... So isn't the dealer going to lose money on this sale??? I don't get it...

Edit, I really believe you by you posting your payments... no need to scan. But I'm not joking, will you help me buy my next car???

Last edited:

baggsgt

TDI
Man how did you do this... Will you help me buy my next car for me... I believe you... It's just... From what I've read dealer hold back is only 2%... So isn't the dealer going to lose money on this sale??? I don't get it...
I don't get it either. I was waiting for the catch as I signed the paperwork. My only guess is that they needed a sale to put them over some milestone since they're obviously not in the business to lose money. I worked four dealers against eachother and actually had a deposit down on a 2011 LE at another dealer for 20,500 + destination. I had previously been at the dealer who sold me the 2012, looking for 2011s since I figured that was my best bet at getting a great deal but went elsewhere since they didn't have the color I wanted. When they called me back they asked what they could do to get my business and I basically told them they didn't have what I was looking for so I had put down a deposit elsewhere. They disagreed that they didn't have a car for me since they had a 2012 that perfectly fit. I made them an offer of 21,500 + destination and said take it or leave completely expecting them to tell me "thanks but no thanks" since $1000 extra for a 2012 premium w/appearance vs. an already good deal on a 2011 LE was a no brainer. To my surprise, they took it and stayed true to their word throughout the process. Maybe they were so willing since they knew me "walking out the door" wasn't just a play since I already had a deposit elsewhere. In full disclosure though, I did lose my $300 deposit at the other dealer.

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I don't get it either. I was waiting for the catch as I signed the paperwork. My only guess is that they needed a sale to put them over some milestone since they're obviously not in the business to lose money. I worked four dealers against eachother and actually had a deposit down on a 2011 LE at another dealer for 20,500 + destination. I had previously been at the dealer who sold me the 2012, looking for 2011s since I figured that was my best bet at getting a great deal but went elsewhere since they didn't have the color I wanted. When they called me back they asked what they could do to get my business and I basically told them they didn't have what I was looking for so I had put down a deposit elsewhere. They disagreed that they didn't have a car for me since they had a 2012 that perfectly fit. I made them an offer of 21,500 + destination and said take it or leave completely expecting them to tell me "thanks but no thanks" since $1000 extra for a 2012 premium w/appearance vs. an already good deal on a 2011 LE was a no brainer. To my surprise, they took it and stayed true to their word throughout the process. Maybe they were so willing since they knew me "walking out the door" wasn't just a play since I already had a deposit elsewhere. In full disclosure though, I did lose my $300 deposit at the other dealer.

My hat is off to you... My guess is working four dealers off one and other really did help. I only had two to work off one and other... Kinda wished I had you to do my negotiating though haha.

I wonder if a higher volume dealership gets more holdback or something... Or gets extra incentives if they hit a specific number like you said..

edit, it could also have been because of your trade. Because of Cash for clunkers there are a lot fewer used cars... So I wonder if the dealer took a bit of a hit on the trade in, to get your used car...

Last edited:

baggsgt

TDI
My hat is off to you... My guess is working four dealers off one and other really did help. I only had two to work off one and other... Kinda wished I had you to do my negotiating though haha.

I wonder if a higher volume dealership gets more holdback or something... Or gets extra incentives if they hit a specific number like you said..

edit, it could also have been because of your trade. Because of Cash for clunkers there are a lot fewer used cars... So I wonder if the dealer took a bit of a hit on the trade in, to get your used car...
Maybe I should start a negotiating service for TDIclub members...:)

You are right, the trade could have had something to do with it I think I got a fair amount, but definitely not anything amazing. The car looked great and would have been an easy sell as a used car. Without the CEL and airbag lights on I could have gotten about $5K+ for it on autotrader, but I'd already changed out all of the cheap sensors trying to fix the issue to no avail. so I was happy to get $3500 for it and not have to deal with the hassel.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2011 Jetta TDI W/ Appearnce. 6sp manual.
Sticker Price: $24,414
Invoice (Truecar.com): $23,344
Vehicle Sale Price: $23,000
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.5% tax and $600 in fees, 3.49%
Amount Down+ trade in value: $1500 down
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $438 \ 60 months 34994

I had to drive 200 miles to get this, the local dealer wouldnt go less then 500 over invoice and tried to tell me thats what they paid for it even tho I knew what dealer costs are. Shop/call around its well worth it.

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2011 Jetta TDI W/ Appearnce. 6sp manual.
Sticker Price: $24,414
Invoice (Truecar.com): $23,344
Vehicle Sale Price: $23,000
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.5% tax and $600 in fees, 3.49%
Amount Down+ trade in value: $1500 down
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $438 \ 60 months 34994

I had to drive 200 miles to get this, the local dealer wouldnt go less then 500 over invoice and tried to tell me thats what they paid for it even tho I knew what dealer costs are. Shop/call around its well worth it.
Assuming you didn't buy any type of extended warranty here is an example of the dealer taking advantage of you, and what I am trying to warn people about... Your monthly payment should have been $429... And unless you have a credit issue, they should have given you the ~2.99% financing (which is the current incentive). Which would have your payment be $424. I know you might think this isn't much difference a month... but it adds up to $840 over the 60 months.

profet

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm not really sure how people are failing at this.

Forget monthly payments. Never negotiate on those terms. In fact, if you are bringing up monthly payments with the dealer, you are doing something wrong.

I got pre-qualified through chase for 2.39% over 63 months

Only numbers I discussed with dealer:
Sale Price
Tax
DMV Fees (like $50 because I transferred plates from my previous vehicle)
Tire recycling charge (like $13)

All of the above totaled minus your down payment is the amount you need to finance. Your monthly payment is between you and your bank. Not between you and your dealer.

profet

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
FYI:

Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2011 Jetta TDI DSG + Monster (Rubber) Mat Kit
Sticker Price: $25,100
Invoice (Truecar.com): $24,086
Vehicle Sale Price: $23,200 + $1859 extended warranty (6 year/100k mile platinum, probably could have done better here, but whatever)
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 8.625% tax 2.39% (paid like $70 fee in cash)
Amount Down+ trade in value: $13,700.00 down
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $228.57 \ 63 months

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Assuming you didn't buy any type of extended warranty here is an example of the dealer taking advantage of you, and what I am trying to warn people about... Your monthly payment should have been $429... And unless you have a credit issue, they should have given you the ~2.99% financing (which is the current incentive). Which would have your payment be $424. I know you might think this isn't much difference a month... but it adds up to $840 over the 60 months.
I did buy in May so its different interest. I did also go through a bank. I dont have bad credit, never late or any problems but I am fresh out of college so my "lack of credit" didnt help any.

Where did you get the $429? was that with a different rate? I ran my numbers and it came out to my 438 a month.

Last edited:

RLWSNOOK

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm not really sure how people are failing at this.

Forget monthly payments. Never negotiate on those terms. In fact, if you are bringing up monthly payments with the dealer, you are doing something wrong.

I got pre-qualified through chase for 2.39% over 63 months

Only numbers I discussed with dealer:
Sale Price
Tax
DMV Fees (like $50 because I transferred plates from my previous vehicle)
Tire recycling charge (like $13)

All of the above totaled minus your down payment is the amount you need to finance. Your monthly payment is between you and your bank. Not between you and your dealer.
I agree this is your best way to do things, however the only bank in my area that had a better rate was at 2.75% for 60 months. vs 2.9 I got through VW. The amount of hoops I had to go through to get this rate though was absurd. I had to open an account, and have an automatic withdraw for my payment from that account. Let alone they could not get me financing that day it was going to take 3 days for them to give me an answer, and I had to send in my tax returns from 2 years prior. All of this was not worth the hassle to save roughly 60 bucks...

While I agree with you that you should normally only discuss sales price, in some cases that isn't an option. Which is why I'm trying to warn people about the payment tricks dealers play on you...

iefstath

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Model/Options/Add-Ons: 2011 Jetta Sedan TDI 6M w/ Sunroof, Appearance package and protection package, Platinum Gray\black interior

Sticker Price: Unknown
Vehicle Sale Price: $22,045
Taxes and Fees Price\ interest rate: 6.35% tax 3.8% finance(July 11, 2011)
Amount Down+ trade in value: $500
Monthly Payment\months financed + zip: $420 \ 60 months 06076

I may attempt to refinance or trade up to the 2012 Passat, I just got through a drawn out mortgage fight so I didn't feel like pushing the issue on this

Last edited:

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Car : 2012 Jetta TDI sedan DSG with Premium package and Navigation, Appearance kit, Monster Mat kit, 21 miles on odometer.

MSRP--> $27,575
Invoice --> $26,392

actual price paid --> $ 24,392, + tax and license .

In some areas , dealers are willing to go low due to reaching 20 or 30 cars sold , and the quotas will help you if they are just a few short of the dealer incentives.