Cant hear my Turbo

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
just got my first 2000 Jetta TDI. "man... does this fuel gauge ever move ?" anyway, just a simple question.

shouldn't i be able to hear the turbo wind up ?

i dont hear a thing even when i get on it.

Monica

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, Platinum Gray
I had a hard time hearing mine at first. I had to drive alongside a wall with all my windows down before I recognized the sound.

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
ok, will try it. you dont think there is anyway that it could be siezed up and not spinning at all ?

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
i dont think its running slow. its my first diesel. so i dont know if its slow or not. i was just surprised that i could not hear the turbo. i have been on the highway with it and it gets up to 100mph i think i good time. what impressed me the most is that @ 90mph when i step on the accelorator the car still pulls...

Monica

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, Platinum Gray
That's why I suggested going alongside a wall. You'll have to determine if it's actually making noise and you just can't hear it or don't recognize it, or if it's not making noise at all. If it's not making noise at all then there's a problem somewhere.

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
You won't hear it in the cabin beyond a few mph, if at all. Windows down, I can hear mine upto about 15mph when accelerating. I was walking down the sidewalk the other day and a TDI turned in front me me and I could barely hear his turbo. Maybe mine is noisier because I've got a power box, I dunno. Maybe his wasn't working right. Mine is quite obvious at low speed accelerations, but still barely audible with the windows up.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
I can only hear mine on our little side street when I first start out in the morning with the window down and I go by the center islands with the 10" curbs. Other than that one time, I have to drive next to a building and go very slowly to hear it at all. (Shhhhh, be vary-vary qwiet, I am hunting wabbits.) I know it's working because when I push the go-pedal above 60mph it keeps pulling until I let go of the pedal, and pulls hard too.

Just my $0.02 worth. It sounds like it's working just fine. Mine must have been working this morning as the moron in the mini-van tried to outrun me......I took him to about 20mph over the posted speed limit, then backed off right quick...no use both of us whizzing by the speed trap.
(I am such a mean person.)

YMMV

Mike

Robble

TDI
Golf GL TDI, 1995, Red
Sometimes I can hear mine, sometimes I can't. No difference in peformance or boost pressure between the two cases. I think that if I potter around town slowly going back and forth to work then its quiet, maybe soot in the system dampens the noise????? After I give it a good blast down the motorway then i can hear it again!

Rob

gotta_jett

Veteran Member
I love the sound of my TDI engine!!...the turbo whistle can be heard pretty much only with the windows down in 1st and 2nd gear in my experience...

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I agree with MaxThrust - if it weren't working, you'd be way down on the power.

However, I can always hear the turbo in my car when I have a window down. I don't see why this would differ from car to car (unlike how some TDI engines are quiet and others sounds like Cummins!)

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
Yes i do,

duno why i love that sound, i just do. i think i might be crazy but they should make an alarm clock with that sound i'd wake up for sure!

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
I love the sound of my turbo, too. I can hear mine quite well at any speed. It's not an overpowering, obvious sound. I didn't used to hear it at first. However, once I knew what to start listening for, it became easy to hear it. It's easier to hear it spooling up and down : pfffvvttt !! pffvvhheewww !!

I drive a New Beetle. A friend of mine has a TDI Beetle and hers was very easy to hear as well. Perhaps the New Beetle's design makes it easier to hear.

Teejay

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Platinum Grey
I used to drive a semi-truck, LOVE that turbo whine (very loud in almost any big rig) I can hear my turbo at any speed so long as the passenger window is open and there's a curb on the street I'm driving down (even on an interstate/expressway if there's a guard rail) also helps when I'm in traffic, whenever that turbo whine has something to bounce off of I can hear it anyway.. I wish there was a way to really amplify that sound though.. hmmm.. any way to get twin turbos on a TDI? LOL