EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
It should last a good long while. Honda has oil-runner belts in some small engines for over a decade now.

"As an alternative to camshafts or oil pump chain drives, timing belts also significantly reduce CO2emissions. The CONTI® OIL RUNNER Zahnriemen. timing belt is a ContiTech Power Transmission Group innovation offering extended service life. Thanks to a fabric-reinforced HNBR compound and a specially treated tensile member as well as a media-resistant reinforcement fabric made of aramid fibers, this timing belt safely and reliably transmits drive forces, even in oily environments. This ideally suits the timing belt for driving oil pumps or camshaft timing assemblies, where it offers significant advantages over toothed chains. Compared to its metal competitors, this high-tech belt offers a host of advantages: It reduces frictional loss by 30 percent, thereby reducing fuel consumption and lowering emissions. Noise is also minimized and there is much less elongation of the drive belt. Since the oil pump drive is often a basic two-pulley setup with short center distances, a drive solution involving a Conti Oil Runner timing belt does not require an additional tensioning rail as a chain drive would. The timing belt system solution can thus actually turn out to be much less expensive than a chain-drive system. What is more, optimized noise control makes driving more pleasant for the driver. This explains why carmakers are increasingly turning to timing belts in place of chains in the interest of more fuel-efficient, eco-friendly and climate-neutral engine designs."

sourced from Continental's website
Aramid is the generic word for kevlar.

paco74

TDI
1983 240d 4-speed manual 232k, 1984 300sd 195k
oil pump belt change interval

It should last a good long while. Honda has oil-runner belts in some small engines for over a decade now.

"As an alternative to camshafts or oil pump chain drives, timing belts also significantly reduce CO2emissions. The CONTI® OIL RUNNER Zahnriemen. timing belt is a ContiTech Power Transmission Group innovation offering extended service life. Thanks to a fabric-reinforced HNBR compound and a specially treated tensile member as well as a media-resistant reinforcement fabric made of aramid fibers, this timing belt safely and reliably transmits drive forces, even in oily environments. This ideally suits the timing belt for driving oil pumps or camshaft timing assemblies, where it offers significant advantages over toothed chains. Compared to its metal competitors, this high-tech belt offers a host of advantages: It reduces frictional loss by 30 percent, thereby reducing fuel consumption and lowering emissions. Noise is also minimized and there is much less elongation of the drive belt. Since the oil pump drive is often a basic two-pulley setup with short center distances, a drive solution involving a Conti Oil Runner timing belt does not require an additional tensioning rail as a chain drive would. The timing belt system solution can thus actually turn out to be much less expensive than a chain-drive system. What is more, optimized noise control makes driving more pleasant for the driver. This explains why carmakers are increasingly turning to timing belts in place of chains in the interest of more fuel-efficient, eco-friendly and climate-neutral engine designs."

sourced from Continental's website
Thank You so much for the info!! This helps me on my choice in 3 years to buy a VW diesel car.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Back to the original title of this thread: where's the "across the board" diesels for VW? They keep claiming that every model will have a diesel "soon". I want my TDI Tiguan!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Across the board here means replacing the CJAA and CKRA 4 cylinder diesels. Obviously doesn't refer to the Touareg. Whether or not we get diesels in other VWs remains to be seen. My dealer tells me the next gen Tiquan will have one, but I'll believe it when I can put my hand on one at a dealer (not an auto show).

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Across the board here means replacing the CJAA and CKRA 4 cylinder diesels. Obviously doesn't refer to the Touareg. Whether or not we get diesels in other VWs remains to be seen. My dealer tells me the next gen Tiquan will have one, but I'll believe it when I can put my hand on one at a dealer (not an auto show).
After owning the CKRA for about a year and a half, and then going back to the CJAA (2014 JSW), the turbo lag and sluggishness at the low end of the curve is certainly noticeable in the CJAA. Ambivalent feelings about the urea system and yes, the smaller turbo is also somewhat of a risk in the Passat, but we'd prefer Passat variant with either engine over JSW. CKRA might prove to be more nimble lower in the power curve than the new EA288 engine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This is all about tuning. The CJAA Golf is significantly more responsive than the JSW. I believe it's because the JSW is right on the ragged edge of meeting emissions without urea, and engineers have reduced fueling at tip-in to make sure it's compliant. The Golf is several hundred pounds lighter and I think can get away with more aggressive fueling. They certainly drive differently. And talking with my local guru the other night we were speculating that the small turbo is the cause of the Passat having a speed limiter. Don't want to over work it, perhaps.

Although neither engine likes to rev, if you look at dyno plots the CKRA is done by 3800 RPM. The CJAA pulls until 4500. That's where the bigger turbo in the CJAA pays off. That and durability, apparently.

And CKRA engine codes will be gone in Passats in 2015. New EA288 engine in the Passat is either a CFFB or CVCA.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Overall I'd say yes, our Golf hatch is a bit sprightlier than our wagon. But oddly the wagon is getting better FE at the moment (could be the tires). The other oddity is that the hatch has had all sorts of problems with intercooler condensate build-up, even with the IC TSB setup installed, and the wagon, which doesn't have the IC TSB, has never had an issue with condensate buildup in both winters 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.

So that does suggest that something is different with the tuning. The wagon is therefore more reliable, but the hatch is definitely the more entertaining drive.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Overall I'd say yes, our Golf hatch is a bit sprightlier than our wagon. But oddly the wagon is getting better FE at the moment (could be the tires). The other oddity is that the hatch has had all sorts of problems with intercooler condensate build-up, even with the IC TSB setup installed, and the wagon, which doesn't have the IC TSB, has never had an issue with condensate buildup in both winters 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.

So that does suggest that something is different with the tuning. The wagon is therefore more reliable, but the hatch is definitely the more entertaining drive.
Our 2014 CJAA JSW 6MT pulls very strongly once turbo has kicked in and rpm above 1600-1700 rpm, but I already see better FE numbers than my 2010 JSW (had DSG). I just could not get that one much over 40mpg even on the highway, and 36mpg was my average... so I look forward to better FE in the CJAA with 6MT. The DSG became annoying in the long run for me-that and the HPFP spectre were the reasons why we switched to the NMS Passat. But we decided the wagon fits us better, ad got one of the last of the CJAA equipped JSWs. Like many here, we'd prefer to have a NMS variant, but doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

I'll wait for a couple of years to go by and break the new JSW in before doing anything, but tuning is in it's future.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I see slightly better mileage in my 10 JSW than in the 11 golf. I attribute to two things: one, the JSW has twice the mileage, and two, the golf sees more commuter miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's on the Europen version, which is different from the NA version.

wait4TDIPD

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4
That's on the Europen version, which is different from the NA version.
...said Mark McNabb, chief operating officer, Volkswagen of America. “With the updated 2015 Jetta hitting dealer showrooms this month, offering more driver assistance features and a NHTSA five-star rating, we are confident our refreshed lineup will spark more consumer demand for the brand.” .....that one. http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-america-reports-august-2014-sales/ however, does NOT say TDI, so will probably be the 1.8 TSI gasser first and the TDI, as usual, -> (the dreaded word) later. Please, no transverse bar rear suspension like the Golf; Jetta should have more space for that urea tank somewhere else. Does anyone have a link for detailed specs?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As an aside, that's once crappy set of sales numbers. I know they didn't have Golfs or Rs, but Beetle sales down? Passat? Yikes.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Ain't no Justice!

TURD-yota, Datsun, and the Chrysler CRAP-oration posted the 3 largest increases in sales for August, proving again the "Idiocracy" of the American people...:eek:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
TURD-yota, Datsun, and the Chrysler CRAP-oration posted the 3 largest increases in sales for August, proving again the "Idiocracy" of the American people...:eek:
Truer words never printed. Just how are they selling in the numbers that they do? And some of them come back for mo.. mericanz.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, what's ridiculous is he top three selling vehicles last month. F150, C1500, and D1500.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
This is getting more than just a bit off topic.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Whats wrong with that?
Exactly. People in a lot of cases are buying ONE replacement car and holding onto what they have or replacing with one that does everything they need. Just because you live in a city and have nowhere to park or don't own a home that needs maintenance does not give you the right to criticize what someone buys. :rolleyes:

FWIW a new RAM1500 V6 with 305hp and a ZF 8spd will do 25-27 highway and 20 in town. Have friends with them. And what does that make me? I have a 22 ft long QUAD CAB, LONG BED, 4X4, 2500 DIESEL 7600lb truck. Don't need it? I beg to differ.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
FWIW a new RAM1500 V6 with 305hp and a ZF 8spd will do 25-27 highway and 20 in town. Have friends with them. And what does that make me? I have a 22 ft long QUAD CAB, LONG BED, 4X4, 2500 DIESEL 7600lb truck. Don't need it? I beg to differ.[/QUOTE]

Is it cummins? auto or manual? I love those trucks.... you should post a picture of it here.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
Trying to get back on track here, I am closely watching fuel economy on this new engine. Car and Driver managed 39 mpg with an automatic Passat. They tested an automatic Golf and came in at 34 mpg. More recently, they tested a manual and racked up 32 mpg. Granted that they drive things hard, and only drove the manual Golf 240 miles, but the EA288 doesn't seem to be rewriting any history books when it's put up against the CKRA engine at this point.

Waiting for more data, but preliminary info is not hugely encouraging.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
To what year emission standards does the EA288 meet? When might the emission systems be changed to meet stricter emissions? aka, I'd like to buy before this happens. It seems like there is a sacrifice in performance and mpg's when this happens.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
C&D don't drive for economy, they drive to maximize 0-60 times, etc.

Put one in my hands for a week (manual preferably) and I'll see what I come up with :D
I realize that is low on their priority list. It's just the last three Jetta TDIs that they tested came in at 40 mpg twice and 39 mpg once. Passat came in at 39 mpg. None were driven with a penchant for fuel economy. So the first two tests of an EA288 struck me as low, even by their standards.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
EA388 Engine arrival on american shores / possibly to canada

No, what's ridiculous is he top three selling vehicles last month. F150, C1500, and D1500.
You do realize, one of the things that happen in the fall is that there is the season's harvest and that means that some commercial sectors have an increased need for new equipment before the winter sets in.

The sales figures for a pick-up trucks throw off the rest of the market because of the type of vehicle it is.

If there was a separate category for "Work related" vehicles, then it would be a levelling out of the types produced.

If you are a self employed farm operation, a pick-up is easier to expense against income from the farm(or business), vs a passenger car that is great on fuel, and is easy to maintain (but is pure expense; after income-tax dollars pay for it).

You can't stuff too many bales of hay in a Golf.:D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Trying to get back on track here, I am closely watching fuel economy on this new engine. Car and Driver managed 39 mpg with an automatic Passat. They tested an automatic Golf and came in at 34 mpg. More recently, they tested a manual and racked up 32 mpg. Granted that they drive things hard, and only drove the manual Golf 240 miles, but the EA288 doesn't seem to be rewriting any history books when it's put up against the CKRA engine at this point.
Waiting for more data, but preliminary info is not hugely encouraging.
Saw a commercial for the 2015 golf the other day. They were citing EPA ratings of 45 mpg highway. Most of us should be able to easily turn that into 50+.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You do realize, one of the things that happen in the fall is that there is the season's harvest and that means that some commercial sectors have an increased need for new equipment before the winter sets in.

The sales figures for a pick-up trucks throw off the rest of the market because of the type of vehicle it is.

If there was a separate category for "Work related" vehicles, then it would be a levelling out of the types produced.

If you are a self employed farm operation, a pick-up is easier to expense against income from the farm(or business), vs a passenger car that is great on fuel, and is easy to maintain (but is pure expense; after income-tax dollars pay for it).

You can't stuff too many bales of hay in a Golf.:D
I grew up in a farm state and had relatives that farmed. (Still have a couple of cousins turning the earth) I know about farm trucks versus city trucks. Most of the farm trucks I've seen purchased were either after harvest, and therefore, money in hand, or after the farmers figured out what their taxes were going to be. Can't say I've seen many farmers buying a new truck prior to or during harvest. To many other things to work on.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Saw a commercial for the 2015 golf the other day. They were citing EPA ratings of 45 mpg highway. Most of us should be able to easily turn that into 50+.
Back in the old days, yes, but the newer cars seem different. I had a hard time hitting hiway number, once in a while I would get 40, and once 43 in my 2012 NMS Passat SEL. alot of times it would be 37.