what do i need for DIY oil change?

oj1111

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
i am going to watch the video before i attempt this, but i am going to be out near the dealer today and was going to pick up the oil filter while i am out. do i need anything else from the dealer other than the oil filter? also, how many bottles of motor oil do i need to get from the autoparts store?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Car will take about 4.2 litre's.. Make sure along with the oil filter that you get the 2 rubber o-rings, along with a new crush washer for the drain plug..

Other then that is pretty simple, make sure the oil cap is off before you start so it drains quicker. Try to get as much oil out of the resevoir where the oil filter is (not a big deal if you don't get it all out). Let it drain for 15mins or so.. Put plug back in with new crush washer, put new oil filter in, tighten everything down.(Don't over tighten, snug up the drain plug and then another 1/8th of a turn at most) Put your oil in... Bring the car off the ramps, start car for 10 seconds or so. Turn off car, check the oil and top up is necessary...

Good luck.

oj1111

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
my car is a 2000 jetta. is the video of an oil change done from the top using an oil extractor? i bought a pella oil extractor and plan on doing it from the top.

oj1111

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
i just watched the video. this website is such an incredible resource for all things TDI. cant wait to give it a shot.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Ok, if you're going to use a Pella, then you go through the dipstick tube.

From my experience, I take the cap off the oil filter first. This lets the oil in the filter housing drain into the sump. Then I put the Pella hose down into the dipstick, pump it up and let it do its thing. While this is happening, I get the oil filter ready.

You'll probably find that when the Pella gets to the bottom of the sump and starts making that 'empty soda straw' sound you should move the tube around to get the last few drops of oil. Then put the tube into the bottom of the oil filter housing, there's about a half pint in there.

I pour the new oil into the oil filter housing (before putting the filter inside). Bigger target. You're going to need around 4.5 quarts. You should start with 4, start and run it, then top it off.

oj1111

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
mparker326 said:
What oil are you planning on putting in?
i went to autozone on the way home but couldnt find anything that i had read about on here. i did see Mobil 1 5w30 but i couldnt find 505.01 or anything on the bottle.

exactly what do i need to put in?

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Your car doesn't need 505.01 it needs 505.00. Autozone carries Castrol Syntec 5w40 that is 505.00 approved. Same oil that the dealer would put in it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
you need a good quality sythetic. Try doing a search, there's no end to the threads about oil. I use Rotella T synthetic

oj1111

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
BobnOH said:
you need a good quality sythetic. Try doing a search, there's no end to the threads about oil. I use Rotella T synthetic
i just got home from wally world and ended up getting the Rotella T synth 5w-40.

thanks again to everyone for all your help.

ibrickey

TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS Black Auto Trans
Do'nt get any filters from napa auto parts!.. i got a fuel filter from them & it was made in "CHINA" $26.50 & No O rings...So i took it back & ordered one from tdiparts.com...$16.00 & Made in"GERMANY" :)
***RICK*************