Oil light blinking after change of oil type

BrianW

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS TDI
I have an '03 Jetta TDI with 45k miles. Yesterday I changed the oil in my car. I went from Delvac 1 5w40 to Elf CRV 0w30 oil. After the change I drove the car around with no problem. This morning when my wife started off she noticed the oil light blinking. I had her check the oil level and it was fine. After she started it back up she has been running fine with no light.

I live in Austin, TX so it is crazy hot right now. Would changed the oil to a different weight like that cause this? I will know tomorrow morning if it is something that only happens on a cold start.

Thanks for any help or advice,
Brian

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
BrianW said:
I have an '03 Jetta TDI with 45k miles. Yesterday I changed the oil in my car. I went from Delvac 1 5w40 to Elf CRV 0w30 oil. After the change I drove the car around with no problem. This morning when my wife started off she noticed the oil light blinking. I had her check the oil level and it was fine. After she started it back up she has been running fine with no light.

I live in Austin, TX so it is crazy hot right now. Would changed the oil to a different weight like that cause this? I will know tomorrow morning if it is something that only happens on a cold start.

Thanks for any help or advice,
Brian
A shot in the dark, but an oil filter element with a bad or no back flow valve/flap... Might allow all the oil to flow back to the pan from the filter when sitting for a long time...so when you start up cold in the am, the oil has to pump to the filter (just like the first start after the oil change)... See if it happens again in tomorrow am.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Also members have experienced the same thing when the oil filter is installed upsidedown. This commonly occurs when you use a Napa Gold or other filter where "Up" isn't marked.

BrianW

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS TDI
Thanks for the replies. This morning everything was fine. I haven't seen the oil light come on again. I triple checked that I had the oil filter right side up but that doesn't mean much. I think I'll check that this evening.
Brian

Jldemers1

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Speed
Could the thinner oil cause a lower pressure, and possibly a warning. The light is a pressure indicator, no or low pressure would cause it to light.
Just my thoughts.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
On my 06 Jetta if you turn on the ignition but do not start the motor the oil light starts blinking eventually. First it's solid goes out and then it starts blinking after so much time.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
you might see lower oil pressure at idle with thinner oil but not enough to trip the light