Infamous Mileage Question

aburchell44

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon For Sale
OK, I used to have a VR6, and have a Race car so Yes I do drive with a heavey foot /images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is also healthy for the TDIs to drive this way. I have NEVER got more then 900kms on a tank in the year since I have bought it. I have used additives, changed the fuel filter, had the timing belt, tensioner done and is bang on and in the range witht he VAG comm.
I mean over the winter I was towing my Skidoos around which of course does not help much...
I do a mixture of highway and city, whihc does not help either. And now I roll on 17s which hinders mileage.
Any suggestions?

I put in 56.7 Litres of diesel the other day and I only got 912kms. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

aburchell44

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon For Sale
Fuel consumption seems high:
- Consumption normally increases noticeably in cold weather, both due to efficiency loss in cold weather, and due to lower energy content of winterized fuel.
- Incorrect use of manual transmission - unnecessary high engine revs, jack-rabbit starts, and so forth affect fuel consumption of any vehicle.

- High proportion of city driving or short trips affect fuel consumption adversely in any vehicle.

- New engine not broken in. The TDI engine seems to take longer to break in than gasoline engines.

- Automatic transmission models have about 20% to 25% higher fuel consumption than those with manual transmission.

- Brakes dragging.

- Low tire pressure.

- Clogged injectors, if older vehicle.

- General lack of maintenance. Dirty air filters, clogged exhaust system, etc.

- Improper modifications to the turbo and/or boost control system in an attempt to get more performance, which result in excessively high boost pressure under light load conditions (and thus, excessively high exhaust back-pressure, and hence the drag on the engine).

I know I do alot of "jack-rabbit" starts /images/graemlins/cool.gif

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
- Improper modifications to the turbo and/or boost control system in an attempt to get more performance, which result in excessively high boost pressure under light load conditions (and thus, excessively high exhaust back-pressure, and hence the drag on the engine).

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.. I'm pretty sure my turbo is shot which is causing my overboost problems, but it also would explain why my mileage has never been "great". I've only had the car since last November, but I've yet to break 800km on a tank..

The turbo's being replaced tomorrow though, hopefully it will help. Also, summer is coming, so I'm expecting an increase in mileage due to shorter warm-up time and summer fuel.

I filled up with Shell Ultra Diesel down in New Minas on the weekend and so far I've put 225km on the tank and the fuel gauge is still slightly above the 1/4 mark! WOOHOO! I really should try venting the tank sometime though..

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
A few months ago someone posted a link to a "Canadian Mileage Spreadsheet" which I saved and have been using. After one panicked post I realized that the constants used for the calculations were not, in fact, Imperial, but US. I changed the constants and resaved. I'm still running a little under 50 MPG hwy and it bothers me that I can't resolve this to a higher number. Anyway, it may be worth doing a search for this sheet. I find it useful, once you get it working in Imp. Someone did a good job creating this.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
If you want more than 50 mpg, you have to go slower.

Simple, heh?

I have a lifetime average of 58.148 IMP mpg going 90 kph at most times (except when I'm late for work /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

My last tank got me 1835 km for 5.08l/100km or 55.63 IMP mpg.

Lots of "late for work type of scenario"... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sat2825

Veteran Member
How's that possible?? You must be running a larger tank than the rest of us?? Or are you referring to a Passat? They have larger Fuel Tanks..
In a 2001 VW Jetta TDI, the MOST - and I mean very MOST (driving 100kms after the Low Fuel Light has come on) wI get is 1200kms!!! My car has 80,000kms on it..and I've even had the Injection Quality REDUCED to help improve fuel economy by injecting less fuel into the cylinders, head the intake and intercooler cleaned so it's spotless, running Powerservice Cetane Boost....what else can I do??
The car is pretty much 100% stock with the 15" Michelin Energy Tires..and no mods..

Fes up you guys, what are you doing to get this exceptional mileage!?!!!

Thanks..
Joe

nephilim

TDI
2000 midnight blue
that all sounds about the same as I'm getting. On a tank (vented) highways kms i can swing around 1200. On a usual tank of heading to work and back city/hwy is get around 900. I have fun while i drive but not super conservative or super heavy. I thought my numbers sounded lower than alot of the posts going but maybe thats kind of in line. (i threw on my 17s for the sumemr already so I've noticeda drop of 50-80kms on a tank)

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Rammstein's got a Passat.. :p

Dammit I wanna hit 900kms, I haven't even seen 800km on my trip odometer yet. I've gotta slow down a bit, and I can't wait for summer fuel.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Yeap, the Passat Variant has a 95 liters tank and driven like I do, it equates to no less than 1600 km in winter and up to my own best of 2154.7km during summer.

Can't beat a B4V! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MWM

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant, 2003, Reflex Silver
Hey, that was me. You can see the original spreadsheet thread here. The download link still works.

sat2825

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Yeap, the Passat Variant has a 95 liters tank and driven like I do, it equates to no less than 1600 km in winter and up to my own best of 2154.7km during summer.

Can't beat a B4V! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm SOLD! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I want one.. none of this having to fill up every 1200kms crap in the Jetta.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
What's the last year they made Passat TDI's?

Thanks,
Joe

BrianHarrison

TDIClub Enthusiast, Registered Vendor , w/Business
TDI
Golf GLS TDI 2005, Touareg V10 TDI 2004
Check out this link TDI Fuel Economy to posting 272369 by HowardZ. The MPG seems to be in imperial gallons and I have found it runs close to what I can get. There seems to be a distinct relationship between how good your fuel economy is vs how fast your are travelling. So if you want to break the 1000km barrier keep you maximum speed no more than 100kmph and follow some of the hints there.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Passat Variant TDI were produced in 1996 and 1997 only.

There were less than 1500 of them sold, they're rare.

Good luck finding one, it took me 2 months to find my baby, and she's not for sale... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Black Variant of Death forever... /images/graemlins/cool.gif