Replaced Fuel Pump - Now Won't Start

linden510

TDI
96 Passat (200k)
I've had my 96 Passat TDI for over 8 years with no problems until the fuel pump started leaking oil and fuel. Until I started reading this forum, I thought the best place to take the car was to the dealer because everyone else I talked to didn't seem to know anything about the car. Well, the dealer replaced the pump and timing belt (it took 4 days not including the time to get the parts) and now the car won't start and blows alot of white smoke. He wants me to buy a new ECM -- but if the car started fine before I took it in why would I need a new computer. I brought the car home. Any other options for me?

I live close to Raleigh, NC.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
They need to retime the valve train and pump. Do that and make sure its right and it will start. ECU rarely go bad.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hopefully they didn't bend too many valves either.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Maybe they stuck a gasser ECU in there just to see how much fun they could have with you. Get someone w/ VAG-COM to check the timing. When it shows way off, print the output and take the car back to the dealer... Also, unbelievable that the dealer wouldn't use the tools, but check for paint marks.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If the car won't start, vagcom won't say anything.

but the white smoke is a sign of unburned fuel, usually meaning severely screwed up pump timing.

linden510

TDI
96 Passat (200k)
I took the car to Chris Dale, Import Auto Werks in Raleigh and he had it running fine in a few hours. The pump timing was messed up. I'm glad I didn't take it back to the dealer - all done with them for good. Thanks for your help.

Jetta4Jeff

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta PD M5
No, sorry, you're not done yet...

linden510 said:
I took the car to Chris Dale, Import Auto Werks in Raleigh and he had it running fine in a few hours. The pump timing was messed up. I'm glad I didn't take it back to the dealer - all done with them for good. Thanks for your help.
In my opinion, you got screwed over by a dealer that: (a). wanted to take you for a ride, or (b). did lousy work. If I were put through all that frustration, I would head back to the dealership and, politely but firmly, confront the Service manager and fully explain this issue. At the end of your explanation, present him with the bill for the repairs and tell him that you'll wait for him to cut a cheque payable to you for full reimbursement. If he refuses, remember he has a boss, and the dealership has a public image to uphold. Don't allow this dealership to get away with either (a), or (b) above by not speaking up for yourself and your car.
Best of Luck. and let us know how your visit turns out...