Biodiesel at 2005 TDIFest

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
As some of you may be aware, the 2005 TDIFest will be held in Wisconsin. 2005 TDIFest Details

As part of the Fest, I'd like to have as big of biodiesel contingent as possible as I have strong feelings that they are very inter-related amongst the tdiclub community. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in leading/participating in the quest to bring a substantial biodiesel presence to the Fest?

Ideally, I'd like to at a miminum have biodiesel available for sale at the Fest. I have no idea what the demand would be, if it should be b20 or b100. The Jefferson Coop is only 10 minutes from where the Fest will be held, but am open to other distributors. I'd like to see some biodiesel production presence at the Fest to discuss the current biodiesel situation. It might be nice to have a homebrew seminar or just have people currently homebreweing their to answer questions, etc. And last, I'd love to get a gas station owner involved who might consider putting in a biodiesel pump in WI. I have contact info for the gas station owner of the only E85 pump in the state, and I thought he might be a good contact to get involved. I'm open to any suggestions about how biodiesel could be included in the Fest.

If nothing else, it will be a great opportunity to help unite the biodiesel community in the area.

I would prefer to have someone fairly local to organize this event. I would like one dedicated person to lead the planning process and to organize any events. This person would organize the biodiesel component of the Fest with minimal input from the Fest planners (myself and bluenb1).

If anyone is interested in participating, please PM or email me.

Thanks,
Edward

wheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
This sounds great. Not sure I am qualified to do any teaching/presenting but like the idea of forging new and wider links. Maybe I can help organize an Ottawa contingent...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
About 400 gallons of B100 were sold at the '04 fest, but I took 100 of that for myself. I wouldn't be bringing my fuel drums to Madison so don't count on me buying a similar amount.
We didn't have a B20 presence on site but there is a retail location for B20 not too far away.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I'd be willing to give a lecture on biodiesel and the basics of making it yourself.

We just had Maria "Mark" Alovert come thru Iowa City on her Midwest biodiesel home brew tour and give a 2-day lecture on home brewing including building a working processor.

If she plans a tour again next year, maybe we could have her do a lecture at that time. One thing though, her lecture is "in-depth" and easily consumed two 7-hour days. You might not want to only see a 2-day lecture at the TDI Fest.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Ed,

Congrats on the TDI Fest. Let me know if you need to bounce any ideas off of me regarding the fest.

I wold contact the State of Wisconsin Ag dept and the Wisconsin State Farm Bureau for some assistance with Bio Diesel Lectures and Bio Diesel production. If they are no help then contact me via PM or use my hotmail account.
My cousin is the predident of the IL Farm Bureau and he has plenty of contacts. Also, Iowa State University just held a huge Bio-Diesel Conference and the refinery is in Iowa.
I have contacts at Iowa State that may be helpful as well. I would give the University of Wisconsin Madison a shout as well before contacting a rival out of state schoool for assistance.

Most people seem to want either B100, B20 or B50.
You can get B100 and then cut it with the appropriate percentage of BP Premier Low Sulfur or FS Diesel X Gold.
Contact your local Farm Service facility or oil distributor.

Let me know if you need help. I am more of a B20 guy this time of year.

Deming

Lug_Nut

TDI
I forgot to mention another reason we had only B100, and no blends, at the '04 fest: regulatory approval. Petroleum diesel blends would have opened up a whole new set of restrictions due to the hazardous substance rating of diesel.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Good info Jon. I think we can get around it. Part of the Fest will be housed at a repair garage that used to have a station, and they still sell racing fuel. So I think we can bend the rules.

I'm still looking for someone willing to take the lead on the biodiesel portion of the Fest.

E

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
Most people seem to want either B100...
I definitely will be wanting B100!

That time of the year, B100 is all that I use.
I will be happy to lecture on any aspect of B100. In fact, if there are special topics people would like to see covered...spell them out and I will make sure it gets covered.

Like...

Energy balance of B100 vs. E85
Emissions of B100
Quality tests for homebrew B100 (something I plan to research)

...what else?

Lug_Nut

TDI
B100 is also easier to turn into B20, than the other way 'round.
Someone wants B20? It is as easy to sell them 1/5 as much B100 and let them blend their own. OK, So they'd need a jug to take the B100 to the diesel service station for the other 80% of their blend, but still....