Diesel fuel usage. LSD vs. ULSD

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have a 2015 Passat TDI which I drive to Mexico every fall and back home in the spring. I drive it very rarely in Mexico because as far as I know the Diesel is still LSD here ! When I do, each time I drive at highway speeds in 4th gear for example to try and burn some crap off!

I drive because flying limits what you can bring with you!

A friend had a 2013 Passat TDI and drove it down to here and while here drove it everywhere including very short trips. He knows nothing about forcing a regen cycle.

I know the 2013 engine is a different engine from the 2015, but would Low Sulfor Diesel affect the two engines differently? Is it more the emissions system that is affected by LSD in one engine over the other?

He traded his in on a 2015 because he had some issues with the car but none were engine related. He does not drive to Mexico any longer.

Just for what it's worth, the pump jockeys here don't know their but from a hole in the ground. I even wrote the head office of Pemex, the Mexican fuel supplier and they could not give me an answer where or if ULSD is available.
I've read that on the corridor toward Laredo ULSD may be available, but that is a very long way away.

Thx
There are now Mobil, BP, and other filling stations in Mexico, but none of them in my area, just the old Pemex stations.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
FYI driving in 4th for a long time doesn't "force a regen" it just allows a regen to happen if need be. If the ECU doesn't say a regen needs to happen it wont happen. Only using VCDS can you force a regen , even then it can do a full regen at idle parked.

Needless to say AFAIK running LSD vs ULSD will eventually run into long term issues with DPF and "ash" build up, issues in the first wont be noticed except maybe regens more frequent and then eventually the DPF will register as "full" and need of replacement, almost similar as not running 507 oil but "high ash diesel oil".

Either way if you have a DPF delete (as a Malone Stg 2 would indicate) then there's no issues with running LSD as you have no emissions systems to worry about.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
740GLE, no I do not have a DPF delete. I may have to look into that to see what is required to do so. Are there any pieces of "material" required for that?
Until recently we had mandatory emissions testing for any cars though light duty Diesels were much simpler than gassers.
There are certain things I'll still tackle on the car, but the DPF may be out of my league.
Having said that, I wonder if a VW dealer here in Mexico could do that?
Maybe if you don't mind you could enlighten me?