RNS510 to Discover Media PQ Retrofit DIY

zeoalex

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium TDI
So I just got my 2014 Passat TDI SEL and I'm in love with pretty much all of it. My biggest issue, at this point, is the horrible RNS510 system. Since I got an SEL, mine's got nav and the fender system, which is pretty neat. I've been doing as much research as I can on an MIB2 retrofit, which seems pretty straightforward, buy the 3 pieces, have someone in Poland unlock and update app-connect, and plug it all in and go. What I'm not entirely understanding is in our cars, how do you retrofit the headunit to the glove box? I assume that the quadlock wiring harness doesn't stretch to the glove box?

The wiring conundrum has sort of been what lead me to the idea of an MIB2 discover media PQ retrofit. I know EZT has a kit, but its *very* expensive, and also sold out. The PN 5C0035684 units aren't too horribly expensive on ebay, plus the 300-ish for the CP removal/app-connect stuff, and then the USB harness, ODIS wiring, RVC adapter and quadlock adapter. At the end of the day, it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but when I search for info, it's from a few years back where people just say "can't remove CP, sorry bye"

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
NMS was never designed for the MIB1 or 2 system so wiring is going to be all either fabbed or swapped.

MIB does interface with the canbus for multiple car features, so no idea of the cross compatibility of the HVAC or TPMS features under the "Car" button.

The PQ model is prob your best bet or trying to source something from a 2016+ Passat as a possible direct retrofit.

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
I'm picking up my 14 SEL on Thursday coming from a 17 Hyundai. The info screen and Android Auto are going to be severely missed and old/outdated. I've read the RCD330 noname unit swaps in but haven't seen much in regards to the swap with the Fender audio. Love the look of the MediaPQ but I can't afford that swap.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Just bought an RCD360 PRO NONAME to retrofit in my 2015 Passat. I will let you guys know, but it should be plug and play.

In the past I did an RCD330+ with camera retrofit into a 2006 Jetta. The CANBUS battery drain was a PITA, but the retrofit was breeze, generally speaking.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, just received the new headunit. It does need a main harness adapter, which was included.

The install was plug and play, no Component Protection. I still need to wait for the camera harness adapter, but everything else works perfectly. The unit is fast and brand new indeed.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Last update: the camera converter (converts from RGB signal to Component/RCA connector) showed up.

This converter needs constant ground and +12V which I just split from the new main harness: there was a +12v not used by the new radio, and just split the ground.

Also needed is a backup light +12v connector, which I decided to not run all the way to the trunk. Instead, I just tapped the switched +12v at the cig lighter using a short run of wire and opening up the cubby and the top of the central console, that just unclips upwards.

Overall, extremely happy with my conversion. I was able to retain my camera with minimal effort. Headunit has now Android Auto, Bluetooth, a USB connector (for Android Auto and media). No CD.