Can't figure out what this part is. Found it on the floor of the 2015.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Thats easy...the cover for the cabin air filter.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Give him a break, he's a newbie.
But that also means that he liner under the glove compartment is missing. So whoever changed the cabin filter did not put it back, otherwise the loose cover would have never fell on the floor.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just to add to this I replaced my cabin filter with a Permanent K&N filter, take it out, wash and spray K&N chemicals on and you're good to go again. Two filter changes and you just about break even costwise.
One thing came with the filter kit is a spongy self sticking gasket you attach to the little plastic cover. A tad harder to put on first time.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
The K&N filters are washable, but their shortcoming is that they do not have the activated charcoal layer as you cannot wash charcoal. The OEM filters come in two flavors, one is plain paper filter, the other one (only slightly more expensive) is the charcoal-filled one. The charcoal does a decent job of keeping objectionable odors from entering the passenger space, which the simple paper filter can not.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hate to tell you, regardless of what kind of filter you use, the smell of a skunk or new asphalt paving will enter the cabin!
The K&N filter adds a nice smell to the air!

LabGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Another option would be to buy your OE/OEM filters from FCPEuro. They have a lifetime warranty on them. Just purchase the new one and when it arrives ship back the old one in the same box and they credit your account!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another option would be to buy your OE/OEM filters from FCPEuro. They have a lifetime warranty on them. Just purchase the new one and when it arrives ship back the old one in the same box and they credit your account!
I cannot see that as a viable option, especially from where I live.
Shipping costs to the supplier and back would be horrendous!:eek:

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I cannot see that as a viable option, especially from where I live.
Shipping costs to the supplier and back would be horrendous!:eek:
2nd that. FCP Euro's lifetime warranty sounds like a great option on expensive parts where shipping is either free or only a small fraction of the part's cost. However, we are dealing here with a $6 part (Mann paper filter) or a $10 part (Mann activated charcoal), where the shipping may easily exceed the price of the part. In cases like these, the most sensible option may be the most counterintuitive one - dealer. The same Mann activated charcoal filter that RockAuto sells for $ 9.82 + shipping will cost you about $13 + tax at your local VW dealer.