Considering 2010 Treg TDI with flood damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I am looking at a 2010 Treg TDI that has "fresh water flood damage". I looked at it this morning but am not allowed to start it due to auction rules. The carpet is damp/wet but that appears to be as far as it got.

Frankly I am most concerned about the electrical modules that may need to be replaced, more than the motor.

My question is, what modules are under the carpet? I think the TCU is under the passenger seat and there are some convenience modules under the driver's seat. From my 2005 Treg (sold it), I recall there were some items in the battery box but cannot remember.

BTW, I tried posting on ClubTouareg but cannot log in for some reason.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Don't walk away from this, RUN AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

Never ever buy a Touareg with any known faults, and that applies 100 times over to one you can't even try to start.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you can't scan it with VCDS or at the very least, start it, don't buy it!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

If you could answer my question I would appreciate it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
From memory:

Under the passenger seat: transmission, all wheel drive, telematics
Under the driver's seat: starter circuit breaker, main fuses
On top of the trans tunnel: SRS

I wouldn't pay more than scrap value for this truck if I didn't know *exactly* how high the water went, what modules got damaged, and how much water got into the trans or differentials.

-J

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I would never knowingly purchase any flood damaged car. Even if they run perfectly when you buy it, they have a bad habit of becoming electrical nightmares as more and more of the parts that got wet start to corrode away. Unless you love troubleshooting weird electrical problems, you should avoid all flood damaged vehicles (IMHO).

Have Fun!

Don

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
To add: and if you know ANYTHING about Touareg electronics you already know they are IMMENSELY complicated from an electrical point of view. Electrical faults require hours of troubleshooting and are often not successful even then.

If you bid, you should start with negative bids and go lower from there.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys, nevermind, I just asked what was under the carpet on the 2010 Treg. I have owned earlier ones before so I knew what to expect.

Besides, it is a mute point, it sold for more than I was willing to pay.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Fair enough. I commented to 'dub after posting that, "Touaregs have enough electrical faults. I can only imagine the problems one with a wiring harness full of water would have!"

That said, parts of the harness in our 99.5 are still full of engine coolant, and have been since 2003...

-J

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Hey guys, nevermind, I just asked what was under the carpet on the 2010 Treg. I have owned earlier ones before so I knew what to expect.

Besides, it is a mute point, it sold for more than I was willing to pay.
Ahhh. Hydrolock.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Moderators, please lock this post!

Status
Not open for further replies.