Clutch options for the b5.5

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
Ok guys, chances are if you own a b5 passat the thought of swapping in a manual has come to mind. With this swap being a fairly new concept, resources are hard to come by. For me, the most frustrating piece of the puzzle has been sourcing a good clutch that is affordable and that can handle a bit of torque beyond a stock replacement.
For the past few days I have been scouring the net in search of some viable options. I have come up with a list ranging from mild to wild with a few curve balls thrown into the mix. The criteria consisted of affordability, value and real world feedback. If anyone has any useful input on this topic please feel free to entertain us.

First I want to start off with a DMF setup for those who want the ultimate in flexibility and smooth operation. Luk has a full kit that is priced very well at $499 usd but keep in mind that this is a stock replacement kit. If you plan to push the envelope I would move on to one of the single mass flywheel conversion kits.
http://gripforce.com/luk-clutch-kit-dmf-flywheel-97-99-audi-a4-quattro-1-8t-vw-passat-1-8l-turbo/

228mm smf conversion Options:

First off, the tried and true valeo smf conversion kit. List price is 389.XX which is very reasonable if you don't plan to do much more than a tune.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161027458656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Next in line is the Eurospec smf conversion kit (part number 124 198 CFS 28 RED). List price ranges from 475 to 495. Based on the reviews this a step up from the valeo yet it still retains the stock pedal feel. How much better I do not know atm. If anyone knows the torque rating please fill us in but I have found quotes in the 300-350 ft-lb range.
http://www.bsatuning.com/FlywheelClutch-Kit-Audi-A4-VW-Passat-18T-5V-_p_998.html

Eurospecsport offers a step up from the above kit in the way of a hd clutch disc, all else remains the same as far as I can tell (part number 124 198 CFS RPD). List price ranges from 695 to 745. Again I have not been able to find a power rating.
http://www.bsatuning.com/FlywheelClutch-Kit-Audi-A4-VW-Passat-18T-5V-_p_999.html

South Bend offers a billet steel solid flywheel that weighs in at 17lbs which is the lightest many say you can go before chatter becomes an issue. The chatter comes from the springs on the disc, not the gears and if you get a floating center disc than this is not an issue. List price for this flywheel alone is 475 usd. Link below shows all of the solid flywheel options at ringer racing.
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=61&categoryId=96

Southbend offers a full clutch kit using the above mentioned flywheel. They offer kits ranging from stock replacement to full race. Price starts at 900 usd and goes as high as 1175 usd. Torque ratings range from 280 to 425.
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=109&categoryId=96

IF you are ok with running a lightweight flywheel (15lbs) I have sourced the following options. Believe it or not I have found some really rave reviews for the much cheaper of the two options listed below. The more expensive clutch masters kit is a no brain-er when it comes to quality though.

Gripforce offers a lineup of clutch kits that are the most affordable I have found. Now whether it is money well spent, ill leave that up for debate but I have found some really positive reviews from real people driving real cars. From my own research and based on a phone call made to them, they use sachs pressure plates and discs, the flywheel is made by them. Based on outsider reports, the hardware they send leaves a bit to be desired so you might want to source your own if you decide to give them a shot.
These are the two kits I have looked into. The kevlar kit has a torque rating of 362 ft-lb. List price is $379 usd.
http://gripforce.com/f1-seg-kevlar-clutch-kit-chromoly-flywheel-audi-a4-quattro-b5-vw-passat-1-8t/

The stage 3 has a torque rating of 335 ft-lb and is a 6 puck disc. List price is $347 usd.
http://gripforce.com/f1-stage-3-clu...1997-20-audi-a4-quattro-vw-passat-1-8l-turbo/

Clutch Masters offers some of the best clutch kits on the market but they are also some of the most expensive. Price ranges from 875 to 1200usd. Torque ratings range from 280 ft-lbs to 495 ft-lbs.
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=260&categoryId=96

The next step up is to run a 240mm clutch kit. According to my research, moving up to a 240mm clutch allows you to run a stock replacement kit, retaining a completely stock pedal feel, all while enjoying much much higher torque handling capabilities. I know the 012 and 01E gear boxes will accept a 240mm clutch without any fuss but as for spacing i have no clue.
Clutchmasters is one of the few companies I have found through my limited efforts looking into the 240mm option. The fx100 which is the bottom line kit will hold a whopping 425 ft-lbs of torque. The reviews are rave, quiet operation, stock pedal feel, amazing grip. The fx450 holds 750 ft-lbs...:eek:

You can buy just the 240mm flywheel which weighs in at 19lbs for around $550 and then run your own disc and pp.
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=99&categoryId=96

Or you can go all out and buy the kit, starting at $1134 usd. This is the route you would want to go if you plan to set records imo.
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=99&categoryId=96

There you go, I have listed everything I could find but I am sure there are other options. I was shopping for something in the 5-600$ range that could hold some decent torque. It looks like the eurospec clutch might be the kit that best fits the bill here but that is for me.

I would like to make this a comprehensive thread that anyone can go to if they want to shop for a good clutch to complement their manual gearbox swap. Lets keep it real and informative...and lets show everyone their options!

Happy motoring...:cool:

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have been using the Valeo SMF kits with a Stage 2 tune with no issues. The one time I strayed looking for a HD option and used the Sachs version. It was completely undriveable. I took it out after 300 miles. It was about 5#'s lighter than the Valeo set up.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been using the Valeo SMF kits with a Stage 2 tune with no issues. The one time I strayed looking for a HD option and used the Sachs version. It was completely undriveable. I took it out after 300 miles. It was about 5#'s lighter than the Valeo set up.
This is part of the reason why I went on the hunt. Based on your experience with a lighter flywheel I first tried to source an affordable option that came with a stock weight single mass flywheel. The only kits I have found so far that come close are the valeo and the eurospec options. Actually the eurospec flywheel is the only single mass flywheel I have found that is a full 22lbs. The other reason I went on the hunt was because I have found several not-so-good reviews of the valeo kit. Their torque rating is optimistic, the various components are valeo specific...ie you cannot swap in a disc or pressure plate from a different manufacturer, and so far I have not been able to find where they sell just a disc and pressure plate...in the event that you dont need a new flywheel.

Bottom line, the valeo kit is a great option for most but if you are going to perform more than a re-tune then I think you need to look elsewhere.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I wanted to update this thread with some feedback on the Valeo single mass conversion kit. Shortly after starting this thread my transmission went out leaving me with little time to make a decision. I wound up going with the valeo kit since it was proven to work and it seemed to be holding up well for others. A couple of months ago I noticed that it was not holding in 5th gear under hard acceleration. It seemed that as soon as it lost grip in 5th I was loosing grip in 4th too so I started to baby it hoping it would bed in again. For a short time it did recover but after an incident on the highway demanding hard acceleration it lost grip in 4th and since then it has not recovered. In gears 3, 4, and 5 if I try to accelerate with anything but a smooth gentle approach it will slip.

There are a few guys I know of that are working on some other options atm. We have one member here who has ordered the tdi specific valeo kit from Europe. Our hopes are that it will hold a bit more torque than the 1.8t counterpart. If the pressure plate has a higher clamping load then you could simply reline the disc with a more aggressive lining to complete the package.

Looking back at the eorospec clutches I see that their hd clutch kit, which uses the valeo pressure plate, comes with a disk that is lined with steel on one side. This is exactly what I was told to do in order to beef up the 1.8t valeo kit. The torque rating quoted was near 400 wtq if you had this done, but I cannot say for sure if this would be a reality.

I am still on the hunt, lets hope the tdi spec valeo pressure plate is a heavier unit. If so you could order a kit from Europe and have the disc relined and be set. I am also curious what would have to happen in order to run a 240mm clutch with the 5 speed. If anyone knows please chime in. Lets keep this discussion going!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You will need the spacer to run the 240mm flywheel, and matching starter. My stock 240mm DMF setup will not hold more than 22psi. I've been taking it easy till I get around to putting in the SRE setup.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Imo000 tried to fit my spare 240mm stock setup in his 5spd bellhousing - it did not fit. Send him a PM, but I don't think you can run the 240mm in a 5spd.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Yes, the Windex's 240mm flywheel will not fit into the bellhousing of the FHN 5-speed. The flywheel is a few mm too big.

By the way, I'll drop off the clutch set in the few days.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I wanted to update this thread with some feedback on the Valeo single mass conversion kit. Shortly after starting this thread my transmission went out leaving me with little time to make a decision. I wound up going with the valeo kit since it was proven to work and it seemed to be holding up well for others. A couple of months ago I noticed that it was not holding in 5th gear under hard acceleration. It seemed that as soon as it lost grip in 5th I was loosing grip in 4th too so I started to baby it hoping it would bed in again. For a short time it did recover but after an incident on the highway demanding hard acceleration it lost grip in 4th and since then it has not recovered. In gears 3, 4, and 5 if I try to accelerate with anything but a smooth gentle approach it will slip.

There are a few guys I know of that are working on some other options atm. We have one member here who has ordered the tdi specific valeo kit from Europe. Our hopes are that it will hold a bit more torque than the 1.8t counterpart. If the pressure plate has a higher clamping load then you could simply reline the disc with a more aggressive lining to complete the package.

Looking back at the eorospec clutches I see that their hd clutch kit, which uses the valeo pressure plate, comes with a disk that is lined with steel on one side. This is exactly what I was told to do in order to beef up the 1.8t valeo kit. The torque rating quoted was near 400 wtq if you had this done, but I cannot say for sure if this would be a reality.

I am still on the hunt, lets hope the tdi spec valeo pressure plate is a heavier unit. If so you could order a kit from Europe and have the disc relined and be set. I am also curious what would have to happen in order to run a 240mm clutch with the 5 speed. If anyone knows please chime in. Lets keep this discussion going!
I'm having the same issues with my Valeo SMF setup. Slipping in 4th and 5th. :S I emailed South bend to see what they have. I need a solution soon too.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm having the same issues with my Valeo SMF setup. Slipping in 4th and 5th. :S I emailed South bend to see what they have. I need a solution soon too.
I may have found a decent solution through clutch masters but it is salty in price...north of 800. I found a company that offers the kit with their own 20lb single mass flywheel which should be ok. Its not a light weight flywheel but it is lighter than stock so there is a slight compromise. I am currently trying to find the torque rating of this clutch kit as well as the euro spec kit. I figure as long as it will hold around 400 wtq it should be good.

The search continues.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I just fired up my Passat yesterday with a Clutchmasters FX-400 8 puck ceramic. No chatter! I do have a 24.5lb flywheel however! You definitely don't want a ceramic disk for a daily driver :)

Whitbread is a dealer for them as well, otherwise Ringer Racing is also good people.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm working with Aaron @ Boraparts right now waiting for a DC clutch unit for the Passat. It's certainly pricey but I'm hoping it's worth the wait. He thinks it'll be a couple more weeks out yet before it's available from him.

JFettig...I wish I knew you were in Forest Lake sooner! I just got back from Car Craft in Minneapolis and would love to meet up sometime and see that monster you're building!

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
For what it's worth I spent nearly 2 months waiting for a DC clutch that I never got. It was always just a couple weeks away. I gave up and got a refund.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
While DC has been difficult to get the kits in from time to time, we do have a pallet of them being made up right now. He is working on a stage II Passat kit as well. They are all made in the USA and now go through a 5-step quality control process. You do get what you pay for, and when there are waits we let the customers know. He's in demand and thanks to the many Chinese units on the market he's not making a huge amount of profit on these to allow him to hire help.

We're about to release these with a billet made in USA flywheel option too. Some customers have got them as upgrades to try out and the results have been very positive.

Cheers,
-BB

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
While DC has been difficult to get the kits in from time to time, we do have a pallet of them being made up right now. He is working on a stage II Passat kit as well. They are all made in the USA and now go through a 5-step quality control process. You do get what you pay for, and when there are waits we let the customers know. He's in demand and thanks to the many Chinese units on the market he's not making a huge amount of profit on these to allow him to hire help.

We're about to release these with a billet made in USA flywheel option too. Some customers have got them as upgrades to try out and the results have been very positive.

Cheers,
-BB
Aaron, I'm assuming this is 228mm not 240?

Also, what torque is this rated for? Is it (somewhat) softly sprung (disc) so that it won't rattle when the fluid is warm? What's the weight on the flywheel?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm waiting for an update on the DC clutch. I noticed with the Valeo 1.8T version I had there was "chatter" around 1800-2000rpm if I tried to accelerate too hard. Is that possibly because of the flywheel? I'm hoping by changing out the clutch and flywheel to this DC system that will go away.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Those nice Clutchmaster setups ship pretty quick ;) I don't know how many 24lb flywheels they have left.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Valeo clutch /flywheel and Pressure plate 1.9 TDI England

Finally got my clutch from England via Ireland and a relative. Its all relative.
Flywheel weighs 23 lbs on my un scientific scales.

Flywheel and Pressure plate combined 32lbs

So Pressure plate is 9 lbs.
Everything combined , flywheel, PP, and clutch disc

Do i need to re install this little spacer disc when installing the flywheel?

Shoutout to Frans who came through with a gearbox, DUK code.
Very reasonable including super fast shipping Fedex Intl.
Www.dutchautoparts.com

I got the clutch line master and slave off a V6. That clutch lone was a pain in the Balls to get out. As matter of fact I broke connection behind servo to master.
I believe its where C goes into B, i may need a whole new master.

Is there some trick to getting the line under the servo and in through the firewall?

Picture below, Driver side mount. I took both mounting brackets off the V6 passat .

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I just wanted to update you guys, the Clutchmasters setup is super awesome that I got from Whitbread Performance - now he has an even heavier flywheel option that is just sweet. I have the 24.5lb flywheel - absolutely no chatter and its super nice.

I have the FX-400 which is way more than you guys need, the FX-100 would be more than enough for even heavily modified cars!

You don't need any gearbox spacers or anything, everything drops right in on a 5spd or 6spd trans.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I just wanted to update you guys, the Clutchmasters setup is super awesome that I got from Whitbread Performance - now he has an even heavier flywheel option that is just sweet. I have the 24.5lb flywheel - absolutely no chatter and its super nice.

I have the FX-400 which is way more than you guys need, the FX-100 would be more than enough for even heavily modified cars!

You don't need any gearbox spacers or anything, everything drops right in on a 5spd or 6spd trans.
Good to hear!

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI

This is great news! I have been looking at the fx-350 but now that you say the fx100 would be enough I was hoping you could fill us in on the info? When I first started this thread I remember reading that the 228mm fx 100 will only hold slightly more than stock but maybe my sources were incorrect! Also, is the 24.5 lb flywheel the new heavier version or are you saying there is an even heavier one available?

Thanks for your contributions!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
in a 228mm setup you might need the FX-350 but these are 240mm setups. My FX-400 should hold 600ft-lbs :D

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
The fx350 kit I found is going for 800ish depending on where you buy it. That includes the single mass flywheel. This might give you an idea of what to expect.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still on the hunt for a clutch/flywheel. I can't say I'd ever recommend the Valeo 1.8T for this application. I was more than upset that they wouldn't warranty the clutch because it's not in it's "designed application"...I guess that's all part of being a guinea pig. Anyways...JFettig, how's the clutchmasters setup holding out? (No pun intended)

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Clutch masters setup is awesome, I shouldnt have gone with the ceramic disk :)
Why shouldn't you have gone with the ceramic disc? Is the clutch peddle to heavy now?