Diagnosing your fan problem

Jamierara

TDI
2000 VW Beetle TDI (custom built) & 1982 VW Vanagon non turbo diesel & 2005 Jetta (MK4)
It has taken me 3 different people and 2 different problems, let's begin
I own a 2000 VW Beetle 1.9TDI, My fan stopped working on me. I would twist the knob for fan speed 1-4 and nothing worked. My A/C light turned on, but no fan. not any of the speed would work and what I have read was, if your blower resistor went out, fan speed 4 will still work while 1-3 won't. So I take apart my glove box and replace my fan motor. HA, problem solved. For my friend who has 2000 VW Beetle 1.8t, Her A/C light never came on on any of the speeds. went to a junkyard and bought the A/C Heater switch for $10. Put it in and it worked! The same thing happened to another friend and I was able to diagnose the same exact way.
So, If fan speed 1-3 is not working, but fan speed 4 is; that is your blower resistor
If fan speeds 1-4 is not working, but your A/C light still comes on, then it's your fan
If fan speeds 1-4 is not working and your A/C is not lighting up. It is the heater fan switch

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Excellent work!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou; now if this info can only become a stickie so as not to get lost in the archives.

Freeman4455

TDI
Mk4, 1.9, 66kW, 1999 (AGR)
I would twist the knob for fan speed 1-4 and nothing worked. My A/C light turned on, but no fan. not any of the speed would work and what I have read was, if your blower resistor went out, fan speed 4 will still work while 1-3 won't. So I take apart my glove box and replace my fan motor. HA, problem solved.
If fan speeds 1-4 is not working, but your A/C light still comes on, then it's your fan
So, if there is no life in motor in 1-4 positions, but you can see light when pressing round arrow below three knobs for vent control - that menas fan motor is dead? I tried to drive with left knob turned to red/heating, and it gives warm air but no blowing. SO, it could mean resistor is good, heater is good, fan motor dead?
Suggestion to replace fan motor and restistor too?

Thanks in advance.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
There are additional issues that can play if your A/C will not come on - radiator fans don't work - A/C will not come on.