The gasoline engine is NOT dead.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I know that of all the new cars I've purchased, the surveys mailed to me stopped after a short time, especially with regards to Ford. Which says to me that they really DON'T have good data in the real world, where many people keep new cars for a very long time, and of course no data on people who buy used cars.

I've never once gotten a letter in the mail that said "How has your first TEN YEARS been with your new Volkswagen?" :p That may be a little extreme, but you get the picture.

That's why I really don't take much stock in any of those numbers, because they can be viewed in such a subjective manner, because the data gathered is so narrow.

I did have to replace a license plate bulb in my 14 year old Golf this morning. Damn thing.... :mad: :p

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
This particular post has turned into a flame war. It kinda seemed like the OP was trying to entice the loyal TDI fan base into an argument. Look, we get it -- gasoline engines are become more efficient and there are a handful of very practical DDs that considering the fuel price, come out on top of the TDIs. We got that. Then when the TDI crowd turns back around and says that we enjoy being able to drive a car with the whole package -- some like having the stick option, torquey diesel engine, good fuel economy, fun to drive (compared to a Yaris, Corolloa, Prius, Civic, etc), then the people who have been soured by VW at some point come back with a counter point that VW is not reliable!

How about the bitter people just start a new topic called "Why I got rid of my TDI / VW and traded for something better"?

I really do love the 1.8T Jetta and might consider that when my wife needs to trade in her '09 Jetta 2.5S 5MT. I also think that Mazda's CX5 is a great option and she loves it too! So it's not that most of us disagree with you, but a lot of the people on this thread seem like they have an agenda with us people who are still loyal to our TDIs.

I bought my Jetta TDI last July for a few reasons. 1) I was driving 160 miles a day so needed something fuel efficient. I could have purchased a Yaris, Prius C, Civic, Civic Hybrid, Mazda 3, etc. Out of those, I would have considered the Mazda 3 as a close second, but that brings us to point 2) Fun factor. Yes, the Mazda 3 with it's 155 HP 2 liter and manual tranny was ok, but it didn't have the torque and sweet turbo diesel sound. I could have looked at the 184 HP 2.5 liter, but then I have to get a slushbox. Even then, it didn't "feel" as fast as the 140 HP Jetta with a 6MT. For work, I had a rental Mazda 3 with the 2 liter and auto. Even with my 150 mile round trip to our other office going only 5 over the speed limit, I averaged 37 mpg (80% highway). I have made that trip with my car and without trying for FE, gotten 48 mpg. So with me paying 3.80 a gal for diesel lately, I would have to find gas for consistently under $3/gal to break even. And I would be missing the engine I love so much. Which is point 3) The car is a blast to drive. I look for excuses to go drive. When I go on a coffee / Red Bull run, I purposely drive to the gas station 4 miles away instead of the one right on the corner because I love hearing the turbo spool, the engine grunt, and rowing gears.

(Yes, I emphasize the fun factor a lot. If you are going to drive a car every day, might has well enjoy it.)

Sorry. You are wrong. I NEVER tried to entice. But 800+ replies later lots of people had stuff to say and that was good. As I often say if the thread upsets YOU then don't read it. Just trying to have a frank discussion on comparables in the Gasoline world and maybe some gasoline vs diesel banter. and information. All in good fun. I kind of agree with OilH on the Lexus thing. Having spent some time at a Lexus store they do go to bat for their "guests" as they call them. VW will get there when they decide that things HAVE to change. As of now they build a solid product and have decent market share in NA and huge market share worldwide so why argue with success.? The most interesting point of comparison within this thread IMHO will be owners like me who compare costs and maintenance on top Gasoline competitors (resale included) vs Owners who compare the new CRs and 7s in Gasoline and Diesel. The new 1.8T is very compelling but as some have said it may be more of the same as it's architecture smacks of Mini 2.0T which according to some is a technically challenged engine long term as well. The manufacturers who WIN will be the ones who can simplify and "bulletproof" their powertrains and electronics while increasing FE on all fronts. Hybrid/Diesel/Gasoline. It's yet to be seen that many will be able to do that and offer the long life that most here expect. The market seems to have less interest in driving cars 10+ years anymore so maybe automobiles will actually become disposable like in Japan. After so many years and miles they are pulled off the road. It would be good for the economy but a colossal waste of resources and great vehicles.
So long answer...NO enticing TDI members into arguments was planned.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I have to disagree where pulling cars off of the road and people having to buy new ones would be good for the economy, inefficent allocation of resources. That money could have gone somewhere else to more productive. Don't believe me? Just start Reading Walter E. Williams and Thomas Sowell, not Robert B. Riechhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It's horrible for the economy, just ask Japan. No matter how much they manipulated the Yen, they couldn't prevent the crash.

But Japan is forbidden from building a giant military, and they are just now starting to get rolling in space exploration which is something in which I would think they would be capable of leading the world.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The manufacturers who WIN will be the ones who can simplify and "bulletproof" their powertrains and electronics while increasing FE on all fronts. Hybrid/Diesel/Gasoline.

You forgot the disrupting technology: Electric cars and plug-in hybrids. If Tesla can release a BMW 3-series competitor for the similar/on-par pricing and feature set, even with only 180 miles range, it will be a quantum leap forward, as electric does not have so many emissions hurdles to overcome and is cleaner well-to-wheel to boot. Especially where I live in southern Arizona. My roof could easily charge one of them.

Also, while not a direct substitution replacement for many of us, 3-wheeled "and" cars like the Elio (if it ever makes it to production) with simplified drive trains might put a dent in the low-cost commuter car sales, at least until the majors legislate them out of existance.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Really Cool gasoline powered stuff on How It's Made "Dream Cars" tonight

On discovery science tonight, channel 284 on direct tv "How it's made "Dream Cars"" is going to have the "Morgan 3-Wheeler" ep. @ 10pm eastern/8pm mountain. There are 6 episodes tonight, 8 & 8:30pm mountain are when the new episodes air.

All are new episodes from 2014 tonight. In the 6 episodes there will be the "Caterham Seven", Pagani Huayra", "Bugattii Veyron", "Ferrari FF", and the Rolls-Royce Phantom"...

Episodes start @ 8pm eastern/6pm mountain running to 11pm eastern/9pm mountain. When everything is repeated again starting @ 11pm eastern/9pm mountain. I have no idea what time these things show in pacific time zone......