www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:47   #1
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Default Jetta 10 were to lift it up?

Is it ok to use the sub frame to lift the car,using a floor jack with a block of wood?
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:37   #2
Perreault17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
Is it ok to use the sub frame to lift the car,using a floor jack with a block of wood?
Lift the car at the pinch welds. Front location is about 6 inches from the wheel well and at the rear its about 12 inches from the wheel well. You'll see a little arrow at the rear. Also, you can see the location on the pinch welds up front.

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
1998 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
Perreault17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:53   #3
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

I only use the subframe - not the pinch welds. Get a look at them after they've been used a couple of times and you'll see how bent and chipped they get. The subframe is stronger than the rest of the car.

The easiest spot I find is the big bolt that attaches the subframe to the car. Locks well into the jack 'pad' and prevents it from shifting.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:57   #4
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...-point-mk5.htm It's the same on our cars.

I use the pinch welds for jacking the car up, and then place jack stands under the subframe.
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:32   #5
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

That how I did the first time.I was a PITA the car sits so low I had to drive up on blocks wood to get the jack under the car.Is it possible tweak the body if you go to high using the pinch welds.I used the sub frame with a block on the jack to take the car down.
Old December 11th, 2010, 15:10   #6
Perreault17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
I only use the subframe - not the pinch welds. Get a look at them after they've been used a couple of times and you'll see how bent and chipped they get. The subframe is stronger than the rest of the car.

The easiest spot I find is the big bolt that attaches the subframe to the car. Locks well into the jack 'pad' and prevents it from shifting.
Do it correctly next time then. The pinch welds shouldn't ever get damaged if done properly and not with some shotty jagged lift platformed jack/stands. Unless its rusted or some sort of outside factor. Otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't label them as the proper lifting location.

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
1998 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
Perreault17 is offline   Reply With Quote