Leaky fuel tee

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
I already ordered a new tee since they are cheap, but any tricks when these guys leak at the fuel filter? I’ve read they can crack and I did lever it out of the old filter with a screwdriver underneath.

The first new filter was a Meyle which came with two black gaskets. The tee popped in with no resistance but my notes from last time said it was tough to get in. So I wasn’t surprised to get fuel pooling on top of the filter and assumed it was the gaskets.

I had another Mann filter so I tried the Blue(top) and black (bottom)gaskets from that on the tee with the Meyle filter. Leaked worse. So then I put the Mann filter in. Still leaked.

I also saw idparts sells a metal cover for the tee. Is that original equipment? I’m wondering I’m missing something below the butterfly clip that would push the tee further into the filter for a tighter seal.

xjfish

TDI
01 Golf
I installed a Meyle filter and "T" to replace the badly leaking whatever previous owner had going on stuff recently. No leaks. Likely your o-rings are not sealing for some reason. Probably a "T" or o-ring issue, possibly torn or not sized correctly. Just my 2c. They should fit tight and you should feel resistance going together. I like to lube with a light coat of engine oil but diesel should be fine.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly, I had made a note in my manual to use diesel in the filter opening to aid assembly and that wasn’t at all needed this time. I’ll see how the new tee works. Man that thing is $70 at the dealer and they don’t even stock it so went with the $20 delivered version from Cascade. I think you were smart to get the tee and filter from same manufacturer though.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I also saw idparts sells a metal cover for the tee. Is that original equipment? I’m wondering I’m missing something below the butterfly clip that would push the tee further into the filter for a tighter seal.
My quick search did not find anything other then the butterfly clip.
Did you happen to get the part#?

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to close the loop, new plastic tee fixed issue. Still plugged in kinda easy but didn’t leak.