Timing Belt Job... Timing Mark, Exact?

indysoto

Veteran Member
So my timing Belt is not off yet, and my engine is supposedly at TDC, Yet the timing mark appears to be 1/4" to the front of the car of the TDC bell housing Mark...I Figure the whole engine is aligned still....Question... do I want to adjust the flywheel to tdc after I get the timing belt off? Or secure it with a screw driver and lock down everything with the cam lock crank lock Pump Pin etc and forget I even saw that the mark was a skosh off...THX G

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
do you mean 1/4"? If so, that isn't very far off.
I would try to adjust both cam and crank to TDC and have the pump (assuming this is a VE and not PD) pinned before putting on the belt. It's somewhat difficult to do because things tend to move a bit when you put the tensioner in place.

Of course you need to do a Vag-Com timing check when complete.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Pin the pump and secure the cam. Then set the crank to TDC after old belt removed.

I personally use a 19mm 12 point socket to turn the crank bolt. Tiny movements go a long way. Then lock the crank with the Metalnerd tool.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
like medic said. Lock cam, pin pump. put new belt on. Dont tighten camshaft sprocket bolt all the way, allowing the pully to move on the cam still. Loosen 3 pump bolts. Tension belt.
NOW move the crankshaft just that little bit to align it perfectly. (it should have been close already)
Once the crank is perfect, tighten the 3 pump bolts, then the cam sprocket bolt.

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
Hey indysoto,
When I did my belt, the crank was 1/4" ahead...just as you described yours.
I too successfully put the crank timing mark dead-on, with the pump pinned and the cam locked. The metalnerd tool worked wonders in keeping the crank from moving while installing the new belt.
...just a sanity check...(mine)!

indysoto

Veteran Member
now it wont start how long does it take the fuel to get back into the injectors? Had a chevy blazer I kept turning over after disconnecting the fuel lines for a while and it took a whole battery before varoom....I want varoom...hope its not take off the tb belt again :(

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Did you loosen the fuel lines to the injectors or something? If all you did was take the fuel lines off the fuel filter, It should fire right off... If its just cranking over, I'd suspect that you had the injection pump pinned in the wrong position.

There is only one correct position to pin the pump. I've borrowed this diagram from herm showing the correct position.

This pic borrowed from TDI Nut shows the incorrect position.

It likely wont start at all if the pump is out of position. To check, remove the valve cover. Turn the motor to TDC. See if the pump pin lines up even close to where its supposed to be in Herm's pic. If it doesnt, then you'll have to lock everything down and re-index everything.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Wow... this guy's posted more places than a frat party flyer. Keep it to one forum please.

indysoto

Veteran Member
Still no start...Much faster r&r though... alighned the pin to divit after locking cam and crank at tdc... took pressure off using 3036 tool took out pin...What gives? it is now in the window so wondering Why it wont start...BTW was off exactly like herms wrong pic...Hmm I can see all my data blocks in my VW scan tool what should I look for in basic settings for Numeric values in all the blocks?

Last edited:

indysoto

Veteran Member
GRR. I have it all the way advanced or retarted and it only starts to run 5mm before the three bolts run into their adjustment limit clockwise...Runs Like a Dog! gets to 2000 rpm and then starts stumbling heavy...bucks in second etc.. What can I do to get it running like it did... can I take the three bolts out of the IP and advance or retard it another 30 degrees? any Sugg?
I turn the large center nut counter clockwise and the bolts go clockwise in relation to the gap seeemingly... Ok so I turn the big bolt on the pump counterclockwise so that would be advancing ? Confused... Below is the Position It runs in...Thx and sorry for the confusion trying to get out of town...

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Pump is one tooth off. Lock cam, lock crank. loosen Pump bolts and install belt so that the bolts are CENTERED. Once the cam and crank are locked and the pump gear is in the middle of its adjustment area, lock everything down. This will allow you to start. Then adjust pump timing acordingly.