To 5 speed or not

bigbird1

TDI
2002 White Automatic
I have a 2002 jetta tdi with 204k and was thinking of changing to manual 5 speed, I found one at the local yard with 280k in a 2003 gulf tdi, he said I could have everything I need for 150 , just not sure its worth it to put in such a high mile trans ???????

Last edited:

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
That's a great price. I usually drain the oil, check the fifth gear and the shift tower bearings on an undriveable one. That many miles wouldn't bother me at all on an 02J trans.

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
I just replaced my son's O2J at 307k miles. He, as a 16-17 year old, was probably hard on it, but it had the fairly common roll pin shear in the spider gear shaft...walked out and ate through the case. We replaced it with a $350 unit with 182k miles. This new O2J feels SO MUCH tighter / better....apparently the other unit was just worn out. I THINK these units are very solid till they exceed 300k miles...do some reading.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Its a deal just on the other swap parts alone - well worth the risk on the trans. Check what KCTI said and you are in business.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If the car is fairly rust free and in other wise good condition, I'd do it. That's not especially high mileage and the 02, 03 is the best of the VEs.

bigbird1

TDI
2002 White Automatic
Ok, I picked up the car and starting stripping it, Can I change the computer or do I have to do the vagcom thing. also anything else I should save on the car?

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I'm doing the manual swap soon too and can tell you that price was more then cheap! Just the CV axles alone are more then double what you paid for the whole setup... Good luck with the swap I'm so far only at having a trans and starter off a donor car lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk