RIP: [warning: crushed car pics]

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Fake?
With respects
Since when did the crushers segregate VW (wrecked) cars from the others.
:D:D:D:D
In the Phoenix area and Az in general, there are many car makers that have test tracks. There is a large car crushing outfit in south Phoenix. It is not unusual to see 50 new cars sitting in there waitng to be crushed. We had a fire in there one time and there were about 20 new Toyota pichups waiting to be crushed. I asked about them and was told that test vehicles could not be sold, so there is a possible explanation...Mark

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I do not see any wheels
Funny issue with (ALLOY) wheels ~~ $150 ~~ $200 ~~ $300 ~~ for a single wheel ~~ retail
Come to think of it I also see no tires:eek::rolleyes:;):cool:
Tires don't crush. All of the cars are stipped of wheels and drained of fluids, There is a lot of friction, so any readily flammable materials are removed. Fires in the crusher are a PITA to put out...Mark

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
still having a giggle at the entrepreneurial spirit to $crew vw a little
Not at all--VW was going to be paying for those cars no matter who owned them. It doesn't harm VW for me to buy up a few of them, nor does it aid them for me to not buy them. It might slightly affect how much they're paying (i.e., if I buy a few and don't drive them, and then turn them in later, I might get a bit more based on mileage), but no significant change there.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The EPA should have had their own version of Cash for Clunkers. Turn in any old car that fails its emissions test, you get a cleaner (but not perfect) VW TDi in "as is" condition.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I have heard they were going to be shipped and sold to country with no EPA laws?
it says clearly in the court docs that this is/was only gonna happen if they were fixed first; otherwise if they are not fixed they must be destroyed.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Environmentally concious approach, bah

The EPA should have had their own version of Cash for Clunkers. Turn in any old car that fails its emissions test, you get a cleaner (but not perfect) VW TDi in "as is" condition.
Environmentally concious approach, bah. That would make too much sense.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Once crushed, my guess is these cars would be issued some sort of COD or junked status. Anyone tracking their Gen1 buyback on Carfax or similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The source or age of these pictures hasn't been identified. If there were a mass flattening of these cars going on, surely someone would have found out.

It's pretty likely that someone has started the process of going through these cars and identifying the ones that there is no hope for, whether because of age or mileage or condition or other costly mechanical faults.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
The source or age of these pictures hasn't been identified. If there were a mass flattening of these cars going on, surely someone would have found out.

It's pretty likely that someone has started the process of going through these cars and identifying the ones that there is no hope for, whether because of age or mileage or condition or other costly mechanical faults.
I am not an expert, but it appears to have been uploaded 3 days ago from a Canadian Cell Phone using tapatalk...Mark edit: This is a line that shows up continuously in the photo properties:

"https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170310/1ff1a4a48d9bdefeee8c3d6aa150a91d.jpg"

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
I have a buddy who is a VW guy and one of his relatives works at a local (michigan) scrap yard.

Late last year apparently VWoA approached the scrap yard interested to check capacity and sign a contract to scrap 13k VWs and one of the rules of the job was no parts removal.
13,000 isn't that high a number compared to the total buyback population. Multiply that by the number of collection/storage/processing sites scattered around the country and you're still probably under 100,000, around 20-25% of the buyback total. Given that these cars date back to 2009, and many are high mileage or in various stages of wreck making retrofit & resell untenable, I'm not surprised VW would begin culling the herd immediately.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
"cdn" refers to Content Delivery Network, not "Canadian".

It means it's hosted on Tapatalk's content delivery network.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
I am not an expert, but it appears to have been uploaded 3 days ago from a Canadian Cell Phone using tapatalk...Mark edit: This is a line that shows up continuously in the photo properties:

"https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170310/1ff1a4a48d9bdefeee8c3d6aa150a91d.jpg"
"Baxter" (see license plate frame on first photo) appears to be based in Midwest (mostly Omaha).

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
"cdn" refers to Content Delivery Network, not "Canadian".
It means it's hosted on Tapatalk's content delivery network.
Thanks, told you I wasn't an expert :D...Mark It does indicate that it was uploaded from a cell phone or tablet, 3 days ago, right?...Mark

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Since we have seen reports from people who have been inspecting the cars, I have no doubt that the ones being crushed are the ones deemed to not be worth economical resale. It is possible that the early cars will never be fixed. It is certain that the early cars which have bad clutches, transmissions, destroyed interiors, trunks full of kitty litter, etc will never been repaired and resold. Volkswagen would never get their rehab costs back.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Talking to my local dealer about this when I went to test drive a new vehicle; they said they had over 400 TDI's in storage (a month ago), and it's costing the VW Mothership a small fortune while they keep taking more and more in..

not suppressed if they took the worst of em and started crushing em already just to clear out a few lots..

Rumors or not; it seems highly unlikely there is ever going to be an approved fix by the EPA for 1st Gens.. Last week there was a thread on reddit about VW crushing TDI's, this week we have pics.. quit living in denial folks.

Last edited:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
It's sickening to see these perfect vehicles to be destroyed. EPA/CARB please explain how in the world, crushing these highly efficient late model vehicles make our air and environment better?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just because they are culling some gen 1 cars already doesn't mean they will all get crushed. I don't understand why so many are so eager to jump to that conclusion.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
It's sickening to see these perfect vehicles to be destroyed. EPA/CARB please explain how in the world, crushing these highly efficient late model vehicles make our air and environment better?
That question should probably go to VW, they brought this on themselves and everyone else...Mark

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Because today is 30 business days since since they submitted the 1st Gen Fix for approval, and instead of finding news and details about the fix today; we got pix of crushed TDI's..

Just give it a few more days then you can have your hopes and dreams crushed along with these cars..

but im a pessimist.. best to plan for the worst.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Hopes and dreams? I'm keeping my car for the long haul- what happens to the turn-ins doesn't really impact me at all. Though I wouldn't mind a good supply of salvaged parts. VW and the EPA are working on their schedule, not ours.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It's sickening to see these perfect vehicles to be destroyed.
I'd be shocked if these are perfect vehicles. They might have bad HPFPs, bad transmissions, other expensive problems. We really can't tell from here. Think of how bad of condition some of the cars people have talked about turning in have been. It's not worth keeping those around for VW. They will cost more to fix than they will get back.