RIP: [warning: crushed car pics]

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Just fyi, my first two tanks in my new stop-sale '15 GSW are netting over 53 actual (not indicated) mpg. This is driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit throughout the tank. I use common-sense (not extreme hypermiling) techniques, like accelerating lightly and coasting in gear (I'm DSG, fyi, so D) to red lights and stop signs, always being mindful of other drivers. If I'm half a mile from a stop sign and there's a car behind me, I do not begin coasting like I normally would, as that would be extremely annoying to that driver. My goal is to never tick off other drivers. I go with the flow, draft off larger vehicles without dangerously tailgating, etc. No pulse and glides or wild exotic stuff. I am a very non-offensive driver, and not just in my mind like a Prius driver doing 54 mph in the center lane of the DC beltway.
+1
We're talking steady state highway driving people. None of the responses answered how it's possible for one 2.0 TDI to get 39 mpg while another TDI to get 54 mpg. I contend the 54 figure is gross exaggeration. No one can formulate that figure as possible unless driving 45 mph with a tail wind - maybe. Hopefully, in the right lane and somehow not endangering the rest of the highway. I throw the BS flag.
Here's results on my '15

I found and followed a 5th wheel camper who was trying for 70mph to the mighty Mackinaw bridge from Holland, drove around a bit, did the bridge run, hit a hotel, went to St Ignace, hotel, drove around some more, hotel, finally hitting eway and followed a minivan who was busting the wind for me @ 75mph, all the way to Grand Rapids.

I pumped in 12gallon even before i left,, still have yet probably 2 gallon to burn. Mfd says 110 miles left.

I obviously have to wait until the next fill to see what paper math is, but it's an idea if you drive with some intelligence, no matter what vehicle, you can get some impressive results. The biggest wins are having some one else break the wind, and roll down hills faster to help make the next one with momentum, not fuel.

Sorry about the blurry on one side, I need to replace my camera module. Haven't done it yet.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
+1

The biggest wins are having some one else break the wind, and roll down hills faster to help make the next one with momentum, not fuel.
I don't know...... I can't stand being in my car when someone else breaks wind. :D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
+1

The biggest wins are having some one else break the wind, and roll down hills faster to help make the next one with momentum, not fuel.
All too true:)

IMO, best "natural" (un-contrived wind breaking) real world example is a mile long train.

Notable that bicyclist have done over 140 MPH behind a blocker:rolleyes::eek::p:D