Detailing.. WARNING BIG PICS!!!!

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
I have had this Jetta since last November and the weather was finally conducive to some detailing. Two biggest flaws, besides the lovely fender rust and the cracked front clip, was some lovely yellow road paint the dealer so lovingly got on my car after the deal was signed and a nice set of 3 scratches on the drivers side rear door. Photos below.

Weapons of choice for paint removal included some QD spray and clay. These removed virtually all the yellow flecks from the lower door areas but did not work too well on the gravel guard area.

For gravel guard area I scraped with loose razor blade and attacked the remaining crud with paint thinner and green scrubbing pad. Pretty successful I would say. Note photo was taken from ground level. Yellow no longer viewable from normal vehicle viewing position. Perhaps when the car is on a hoist I will remove the rest!!!!

Next I attacked the scratches. Weapons of choice. Makita 9002C, yellow and white Edge pads, Meguiars Ultra Cut compound, Optimum finish polish, microfibre towels.

I knew complete scratch removal was impossible for top scratch. It would easily catch fingernail so it was through the clear. I could make less noticeable by feathering edges but complete removal would mean no clear left. It only took two rounds of Megs on yellow pad to remove two smaller defects and make top scratch much less noticeable. Be forewarned, with a rotary and this compound you must keep moving and keep the speed around 1000 or 1200 rpm or so. It will create lots of heat so movement is a must. I find it also dusts alot so plan on washing your car once the job is done.
Followed up with two rounds of OPT on white Edge pad. These pads are nice because there is no backing plate but rather an octaganal stud that mounts on buffer. Means you can use both sides of pad and no backing plate to scuff surface if an accident occurs. OPT works well, super long working time unlike the compound and it finishes down pretty nice. Used about 1200rpm and moved not too fast. As expected final result was complete removal of two finer defects and a smaller viewing angle for the large scratch.

I apologize it is tough to see scratches in overcast lighting but you can't do this job in the sun anyways. Paint MUST be cool to the touch. After a quick bath to remove splatter from windows and such I put on a coat of Collnite Insulator WaX on lower door areas and area I worked on to remove scratches. Of course it raining now as I type this but paint is protected and the car won't be such an eyesore now.

If anyone needs any product recommendations I would love to share. I am only an amateur but I know a hell a lot more about this subject than the mechanicals inside my TDI. I have been a car guy my whole life but diesels are new to me. I work in insurance, so i make suggestions based on my own experience. I can tell you that the majority of the items at your local crappy tire or Wally-Mart are not anywhere near the best. Worst part is the good stuff is usually priced similarly and it works way better. Only product that may not apply to is wax. Some boutique waxes are priced in the stratosphere. Can you say $10k for a small jar!!!!

Pat.

ramdmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If anyone needs any product recommendations I would love to share. I am only an amateur but I know a hell a lot more about this subject than the mechanicals inside my TDI. I have been a car guy my whole life but diesels are new to me. I work in insurance, so i make suggestions based on my own experience. I can tell you that the majority of the items at your local crappy tire or Wally-Mart are not anywhere near the best. Worst part is the good stuff is usually priced similarly and it works way better. Only product that may not apply to is wax. Some boutique waxes are priced in the stratosphere. Can you say $10k for a small jar!!!!
Pat.
Nice work Pat, definitely an improvement. Funny I know a lot about the mechanicals of our cars, but won't even attempt to wax my own car. What's worse is that I've been in the industrial/commercial painting business for most of my life working with some pretty complex technical coatings but automotive finish "massaging" has always been a mystery to me. Maybe I should just try it, not rocket science I presume.

Huge improvement on your car and you can barely see the top scratch, actually can't see it at all from the pics.

Now sit back and enjoy a well deserved beer ;)

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
good job. i love detailing my car, though with two young children it is hard to find the dedicated time to do it right.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
My issue with retail level products is all waxes have silicates in them. Try and find good professional grade wax that is pure.....Even the ones labeled "Pure carnuba wax" have crap in them. 3M products are good but pricey. Wax will void the paint warranty on PPG products....