@73,000: "Car sounds like some crazy truck..."

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Black plumes of smoke blanket on-ramps , teeth chatter almost non-stop. Going down a bumpy road is like a rolling squeak orchestra... not to mention the stains and handprints on the upholstery... and the most polished surface is the clutch pedal.

for your paycheck, which maintenance (besides regular schedule) do you do? replace suspension bushings? MAF & de-carbonize the intake?

and whats with the thick, black smoke, is this normal for a diesel vehicle of this type? some behind me have to turn on their high beams to see...

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would suspect the maf as being the cause of the smoke. Try running with it unplugged and see if you still have problems.

Clogged intakes should not be a problem with an 06 because by thing I think we had low-sulfur diesel...can't hurt to look tho and doesn't cost anything to check.

if it were a VE I would say check the timing, but it isn't.

Bushings seems to be a likely cause for the vibrations etc...also check motor mounts.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
as for the smoke, check al of the connections in your intake system, maybe one of those clips' nubs that are held in by the Circlip have worn down causing a boost leak.
and yup, check your motor mounts, dogbone mount. and I would bet that paycheck that the squeaks are your front swaybar bushings. and possibly some components of the strut assemblies. might be time to do some upgrading..

Eric B

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
there's a list, on that list is Borka, Kerma, German Autoparts among a few others that have been mentioned on the site...
im sure this will be a major impact on the environment :D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
puter said:
I would suspect the maf as being the cause of the smoke. Try running with it unplugged and see if you still have problems.

Clogged intakes should not be a problem with an 06 because by thing I think we had low-sulfur diesel...can't hurt to look tho and doesn't cost anything to check.

if it were a VE I would say check the timing, but it isn't.

Bushings seems to be a likely cause for the vibrations etc...also check motor mounts.
Usually a dead or dying MAF results in under-fueling due to the MAF under-reporting the actual amount of airflow. If this is the case, I doubt it's the cause of the smoke. OTOH, if the MAF failed electrically and such that the reported airflow is pegged at the maximum value, then it might cause a lot of smoke. Either way, unplugging the MAF will help diagnose a MAF problem if that's the cause.

It might be a boost leak....the PD hoses have been known to come off. Check all intake hoses....maybe one came un-clipped and popped off. I liked the simplicity of the older "low tech" hose clamps on the older pre-PD TDIs...never had a problem with them.

Good luck.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
From what I understand it is common to see smoke due to the maf.

I always suggest checking the maf first simply because it is by far the easiest to check. Unplug, test, if it improves it's the maf..if it doesn't then it isn't.

There have been several situations where I've suggested this and people have done it, saving time. There have also been several where it's been dismissed...and they've gone through a bunch of time/money trying other things only to find out it's been the maf. However you look at it, checking the maf first is a win :)

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
If I unplug the MAF before I ignite the car, I'll get a MIL, right? If I re-conenct it, it will go away, and I won't need a VAG to clear the codes?
I'm going to try this.
It may be a boost leak, its been quite noisy, but all my pipes seem to be connected. Could be a dirty turbo, the smoke seems less after a run on the highway - "right foot mod"

Last edited:

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I can't remember if you get a light or not. It is easily cleared at your local auto shop tho, you shouldn't need vag-com to clear it...and that's assuming it doesn't just go away on its own.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
SoaceMunky said:
Black plumes of smoke blanket on-ramps ...
and whats with the thick, black smoke, is this normal for a diesel vehicle of this type? some behind me have to turn on their high beams to see...
The only time I've had lots of exhaust smoke was when I had a boost leak. It doesn't have to be a very big leak, to reduce the air flow versus fuel and cause incomplete combustion.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
Check the Flex hoses going to the EGR cooler. I had both of them cracked one was in 2 pieces. The Parts are expensive as sin ($85 and 120 so) I repaired mine with muffler bandage (4 wraps) and a 6 inch piece of SS on the outside. I put a 3/4 copper pipe with exhaust cement inside and used 4 Stainless Steel hose clamp to hold it all together. If It fails again I will try to block off the connecter at the bottom of the EGR cooler. Major loss of boost presure sounds like the culprate to me.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
Check your air filter mine was black in just 3k miles after this happened. The Cabin air filter was also shot in just a few months

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont think its boost pressure - I normally drive like a grandma, but theres nobody with less than 6 cylinders that is able to keep up once I let it spool up.
I'm unplugging the MAF now, if the MIL doesen't go away, I'm posting an image that will burn in your memory...