99 Jetta TDI Strut Mount Movement

Green Waters

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I had my struts and mounts replaced at 265k with monroe struts/mounts on 99 jetta tdi. I since have had it in to two other service shops for exhaust and a tire repair and both indicated that they thought the mounts/struts were bad due to excessive movement in the mounts. I had the front mounts replaced again under warranty at about 278k at the same repair shop I had them done at because of concern for excessive movement and now at 281k another shop has the same concern. How much up/down movement is acceptable with these mounts? I can't see them being bad as it took me 265k to have the first set replaced. Any thoughts? I don't want to keep hearing for the next 265k that I need these replaced everytime I take it in for work.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Can you tell us how large a space there is between the top plate (retainer) and the top of the strut tower?
VW does not attach the struts directly to the strut towers like other manufacturers do. The actual strut mount just rests inside the strut tower and there is a top plate that keeps the strut assembly from falling out when the car is lifted. The strut mount is a big rubber bushing, so it does flex and allow the strut to move upward, causing the retainer plate to sit above the strut tower. This is normal, and even brand new it looks like this. Over time the rubber wears out, causing it to flex more, and at some point you do need to replace them. I don't know what the specs are for when they must be replaced.
FWIW, you should be able to install the mounts for a Jetta with a VR6. Those are heavier duty and won't flex as much.

Do any of the shops you've taken the car to do much work on VWs? I'm thinking they don't know what they are looking at. Otherwise you are getting some really crappy mounts. Maybe you should get some OEM mounts?