Horn not functioning properly

landshark0848

TDI
1999 Jetta MkIV
My horn works when I use the alarm system. The fuse is good in the car (slot 40, 20A). but when I depress the horn on the steering wheel there is no response from the vehicle.

linkpin

TDI
2000, 2002 Jetta
There are a few things it could be

The clock spring could be bad which is behind the horn/airbag.

the horn itself could be bad or a bad/corroded connection

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
On mine there's a horn relay.
I didn't know there was an additional horn for the alarm.
I have 2 horns, but they are wired together.
Do you have the Bentley manual to follow the wiring diagram to check where power is lost?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
The alarm horn is an entirely separate horn. It's not the one that blows with the steering wheel.
Ah, no. There is a hi and low tone horn behind the left front valence. Those are the only two horns in the car, and they work together.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Ah, no. There is a hi and low tone horn behind the left front valence. Those are the only two horns in the car, and they work together.
Yes, those are the steering wheel horns. The SECURITY HORN is a separate horn. Think about it. If the security horn was those two horns you are referring to. Reach under the valance an unplug the horns. Your security alarm would be easily disabled.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-VW-JETT...m2cacf77afb:m:m5klzI32_rH8LYHHOFUxT-Q&vxp=mtr

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
There are three horns in a mk4. 2 behind the valance. and the security horn in the cowell.
I have seen several horns go bad from moisture.
Pull the inner finder on one side and check for power at the horn plug.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
HOLY CRAP I had no idea. I stand corrected. I'll have to look for this security horn thing. I removed the front end of my old car to get the engine and gearbox out and never saw a third horn; where exactly is it?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed, found it in the anti-theft wire diagram.
Grounds 'LEFT REAR OF ENGINE COMPT' on G608.
Maybe in the plenum?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
HOLY CRAP I had no idea. I stand corrected. I'll have to look for this security horn thing. I removed the front end of my old car to get the engine and gearbox out and never saw a third horn; where exactly is it?
It's in the middle of the cowl cover at the base of the windshield with two wires attached to it next to the ECU. It is not shaped like a horn.
You could see it through the vent holes.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's in the middle of the cowl cover at the base of the windshield with two wires attached to it next to the ECU. It is not shaped like a horn.
You could see it through the vent holes.
So you could spray expanding foam on it to silence it? :eek:

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
So you could spray expanding foam on it to silence it? :eek:
Not really, as it does not have the conventional horn outlet.

It can be disabled with VCDS on lock, unlock, or both. Or you can just upgrade to the OEM Siren that came on the euro cars. It sounds far more pleasant.