flashing glow plug light leads to check engine light

compignition

TDI
2010 Cup Edition 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD Prevost Liberty 60 Series Detroit
During my wife's routine drive to work this morning, glow plug light started flashing which led to the check engine light setting. In a search here, I need to check the brake light switch and do a scan when I get home this afternoon. Have Vagcom. This is the first time this ever happened. We are at about 7,000 miles. Took delivery 1/14/10. Has anyone else diagnosed this specific symptom on a 2010?
Of course its under warranty, but the dealer can't see it till Monday. I am not inclined to sit around that long.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I have a good guess, but since it is under warranty, I would just bring it in on Monday. If it were mine, I would likely still drive it, but I am not suggesting that for you. I don't want the responsibility if I am wrong.

My guess, a bad connection to a glow plug or maybe even a bad glow plug.

It appears it is not your only car, so I would let the dealer do their thing. Save getting yourself dirty.

compignition

TDI
Wife did not mention any power loss. She dropped it at my work on her way in and took my jeep. So I will drive it home 13 miles at 3:00 this afternoon and see for myself. Driving from McHenry to Huntley. Dan.

Genos

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
Just had 03 in shop Monday w/flashing glow plug light, both brake light bulbs were burnt out, replaced bulbs, fixed problem.Very common problem on Mrk4&5. cheers Genos

compignition

TDI
Thanks to all first responders. Priorities when I get home are to first make sure the brake lights are right, then scan, then do Joe's glow plug ideas. Won't do to much, but it is really a stretch for me to expose it to the dealer. Been doing my own stuff 40 years but technology is eating me up.

compignition

TDI
To bring closure to this post and for future reference, here is what happened.

I stopped at the dealer on the way home from work. By the time I got there, the check engine light went out by itself. The service manager found that there was a reflash recall that I needed. So they did that reflash and the cel has stayed off. He said the ECM was too sensitve to the oxygen sensors and was too quick to set the cel light. The reflash reduces the ecm sensitivity. And he said that they had not yet needed to change any oxygen sensors after reflash, which would be the next step if needed.

So my first exposure to the dealer left me unscathed. The next time I will need to hold my breath will be for the first oil change in November.

Tech said VW stopped running the brake light electrics through the glow plug light about seven years ago. Imagine that!