507.00 oil and where to get it?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Hey all,

Looking to do my first oil change on the 2012 Golf. Dealer recommended doing the first one at 5,000 miles (on my dime, of course, so I will be doing it myself). Where is everyone getting their oil from and what brands? I used to get my oil at walmart for the ALH, but not sure they have this special oil. I also live by a pepboys too.

I guess I am not sure what to actually look for. Do these containers have 507.00 on them so I know they are the right ones?

I can get a filter from the dealer, or from my favorite vendors, never checked locally at pepboys though.

Thanks.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
First, you don't need to change the oil until 10,000 miles. Many postings about that on the forum. For the oil, try Pep Boys (saw a posting) or autozone. OR just do a google search and see what you find.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
My dealer sells it for less than $8/L.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Castrol 507.00 oil can be bought from the dealer. Mobil 1 ESP (507.00) can be found at PepBoys. Most other auto parts stores do not stock any 507.00 oils. Most of the online vendors who support this site also carry a variety of 507.00 approved oils. Check out: IDParts, ECSTuning, KermaTDI, etc. They will all ship you excellent 507.00 oils. To buy it locally you are probably stuck with the VW dealer or PepBoys.

Have Fun!

Don

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
I get mine from my dealer...they are cheapest and then they have all my oil purchases on record....then if for some reason my vw does something vwish they can't fight me on it....

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Are you choosing to do it yourself because you do not trust your dealer? I thought all VW were 3 year/36000 miles free maintenance
Did I miss something ?

Hey all,

Looking to do my first oil change on the 2012 Golf. Dealer recommended doing the first one at 5,000 miles (on my dime, of course, so I will be doing it myself). Where is everyone getting their oil from and what brands? I used to get my oil at walmart for the ALH, but not sure they have this special oil. I also live by a pepboys too.

I guess I am not sure what to actually look for. Do these containers have 507.00 on them so I know they are the right ones?

I can get a filter from the dealer, or from my favorite vendors, never checked locally at pepboys though.

Thanks.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealer suggested that I should change the oil at 5,000, but it would not be covered. Only the 10,20,30k services are covered.

That's all, really. Not much else.

Just wondering why it was suggested. Maybe more cash for the parts dept.?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Wait for 10k. Dealer is just looking to make a buck off of you.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Wait for 10k. Dealer is just looking to make a buck off of you.
Exactly. The oil that is in your car currently may have special properties to help break it in, you should NOT change it until 10K. Also, if the dealer is suggesting to change the oil every 5k, you should look for another dealer IMO, there is some proof that changing the oil more frequently than 10k can actually do more wear to the internals... I dunno, I would go by what it says in the manual which is 10k intervals.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
I ended up changing my oil at 5K simply to remove any particles that may have been trapped in the oil. I doubt this was truly necessary, but I really don't know. The oil that was drained out wasn't inspected, nor was the filter canister. That analysis would have been impractical and expensive, because the dealer did the work. It was a coupon special that cost me just under $40. The dealer gave me the empty oil bottles, so I'm pretty sure they used the right stuff. I'm skeptical that this could have caused any harm, though, since the oil that went in was the same that came out.

As I understand it, all VW engines get test run before installation. After the test run, the oil is drained and new oil put in. If that's really what happens, what I did was, perhaps, unnecessary. I'm not sure I will do an early service at 15K, because the calculus changes. I've no reason to think there would be any manufacturing residue in the engine at this point. But I have time to think, read, listen, and decide on whether the expense of an early oil change is justified...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The oil FILTER is there to handle the 'particles'.

Oil analysis is impractical and expensive, but changing the oil twice as often as the maintenance schedule calls for is not?

You guys crack me up.:eek:

Bill

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly. The oil that is in your car currently may have special properties to help break it in, you should NOT change it until 10K. Also, if the dealer is suggesting to change the oil every 5k, you should look for another dealer IMO, there is some proof that changing the oil more frequently than 10k can actually do more wear to the internals... I dunno, I would go by what it says in the manual which is 10k intervals.
Not every 5k, just the first 5k.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Outrider-

No worrires. Changing out your factory-fill most likely won't cause any harm. I changed mine out at 5,500 and sent it in for analysis. The crud that was in there showed up in the report, so I was glad to change it early to get that crud out. Who knows, maybe that crud is actually helpful to break-in a new engine. The best oil filter isn't going to keep the oil free from debris/particles.
My car is closing in on 75K and still runs great even with the 2 additional oil changes I did on top of the 10K intervals.
Someone on this forum said it best.. "drive more, worry less..."
Enjoy your car!

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Service advisors get a sales commission on services performed by car dealerships... sounds to me like this person was advising you to fatten his wallet a bit...

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Exactly but obviously you worried more since you changed your oil more often than necessary. :)
You couldn't have been more correct! LOL Coming from gasoline vehicles and "old school" train of thought, changing oil 3-5K was engrained in my car maintenance philosophy. I'll admit that going a full 10K on the same oil was difficult for me. I didn't have to go thru a 12-step program, but I wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea either. :D

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I'm sure the oil is up to handle 10K but I worry about the filter. I might go to doing my oil at 10K but popping a new filter in at 5K. I've never had a collapsed filter and have done mine myself on the 5's and have my free 30K happening next Sat at the dealer. Once I get my last "free" LOF, I'll probably do the oil every 10, filter every 5

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Chris:

Pep Boys Manchester

(860) 646-5900
205 Spencer St
Manchester, CT 06040

The price is probably $9/L now.

Chris, you might order a 6-pk of filters from id parts so you don't have to chase after routine maintenance items....assuming you intend to keep the car. You should have stuff next day from them. Good luck with it!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Amsoil is not 507.00 approved so I'd avoid it for now due to warranty concerns. (this is not a comment on the quality of Amsoil, just a fact that Amsoil does not get official VW approvals)

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is officially 507.00 approved - and at first it was CHEAP, but now $10+/liter seems to be the going rate. The cheapest stuff we have now is just under $9, so with shipping there may not be any savings to getting it online. The oil change "kits" are priced so there is a $4-5 savings for what its worth.

The AVLube deal is pretty good but shipping to me is $20, bringing the total cost back to $10/liter for local oil (if I can find it).

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
Outrider-

No worrires. Changing out your factory-fill most likely won't cause any harm. I changed mine out at 5,500 and sent it in for analysis. The crud that was in there showed up in the report, so I was glad to change it early to get that crud out. Who knows, maybe that crud is actually helpful to break-in a new engine. The best oil filter isn't going to keep the oil free from debris/particles.
My car is closing in on 75K and still runs great even with the 2 additional oil changes I did on top of the 10K intervals.
Someone on this forum said it best.. "drive more, worry less..."
Enjoy your car!
I can top that. I changed mine at 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, etc, 5K intervals all the way to 80K before I realized what an idiot I was.

So far I've come off unscathed. The imfamous PD cams looked great (at 120k) and recent oil analysis looks good.

With the 2010, lesson learned with first change at 10K. :D

zeuloa

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
Amsoil is not 507.00 approved so I'd avoid it for now due to warranty concerns. (this is not a comment on the quality of Amsoil, just a fact that Amsoil does not get official VW approvals)

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is officially 507.00 approved - and at first it was CHEAP, but now $10+/liter seems to be the going rate. The cheapest stuff we have now is just under $9, so with shipping there may not be any savings to getting it online. The oil change "kits" are priced so there is a $4-5 savings for what its worth.

The AVLube deal is pretty good but shipping to me is $20, bringing the total cost back to $10/liter for local oil (if I can find it).
Went to VW dealer today. Next door is Audi dealer owned by same group. At the VW parts dept. they had Quaker State 507.00 (they use Shell lubricants) for $8.60/L. At the Audi parts dept. they had the recommended Castrol 507.00 for $7.79.

Go figure!

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Went to VW dealer today. Next door is Audi dealer owned by same group. At the VW parts dept. they had Quaker State 507.00 (they use Shell lubricants) for $8.60/L. At the Audi parts dept. they had the recommended Castrol 507.00 for $7.79.

Go figure!
That wouldn't be in Chicago would it? The VW dealer where I bought my Jetta has an Audi store right next door too.

Blinkinbanana

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My dealer tried the "change it at 5k" line. They spun it two ways. 1. If you drive short distances 5k might be a better interval. I told them its all highway.
And 2. Until VW picked up the cost of oil changes the change interval was every 5k. So ultimately vw is trying to save money by going to 10k.

I've been changing at 10k. And will continue to do so on my TDI.

ImBroke

TDI
11 JSW TDI
Do you mean Amsoil doesn't pay them to get approval? Rumors are that some manufacturers don't give you approval without a kickback. I don't know for sure, since I don't own a manufacturing company. I do know the bottle says 507 on it. I don't have any with me, but I can look at the bottle this weekend. Not trying to start an argument here, so don't take it that way. I just didn't think Amsoil could state that they meet 507 specs without actually meeting them.