Problems shifting into 1st gear

TDI Golfer

TDI
2002 Golf GL TDI (4 door)
Every once in a while I have trouble shifting into 1st gear. Not sure what the problem is. From the neutral position I can move it to the left, but then have trouble moving it up into 1st gear. first I thought that I wasn’t pushing the clutch down all the way, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. After a couple of tries it’ll eventually let me move it up into 1st. Any ideas as to why I’m having trouble with this. It doesn’t really bother me (except of course if it’s an indication of a more serious problem), but the cars behind me usually aren’t too pleased.

Thanks!

[ April 27, 2002, 10:08: Message edited by: TDI Golfer ]

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
push in clutch
select 2nd
select 1st
go

My Cavalier had a blown 1st syncro, doing that usually helped a little bit. Still had to double clutch it sometimes, but most times that would do it. Hope it helps you.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
TDI Golfer,
If you are talking about getting into first after having been stopped for a while, tdi_veedub's advice will work. When you are stopped, in neutral, and you push in the clutch to select first, sometimes when things stop rotating, the dogs on the syncro might not be quite lined up. Going into 2nd then 1st will usually work. If not, go back to neutral, let out the clutch for a moment, push the clutch back in and try first again, easily though.
I've noticed this on every standard trans (new or old) I've driven in the past 34 years. My opinion is you don't have a problem.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
I'd imagine a common reason for this complaint is overloading the first gear synchro which would probably lead to a worn out synchro. How this happens is people trying to engage 1st at unreasonable speeds. The synchro just cannot speed up the mass of the clutch disc, input shaft, countershaft, gears, etc. to match the speed of the output shaft and eventually destroying the synchro.
If it has to be done you can manually match the different speeds by releasing the clutch in neutral, consult the tachometer and use your right foot.
I believe that shift linkage adjustment is not as likely a cause but another possibility. It is possible for the shift linkage cable to have stretched a little or the cable swaging yielded but I don't think that would cause this problem.

[ May 07, 2002, 20:01: Message edited by: RiceEater ]

TDI Golfer

TDI
2002 Golf GL TDI (4 door)
Thanks for the tips. My car is pretty new...only 2000 miles. I'd hate to think that I've done something to mess up the syncro. I’ve definitely developed habits with the standard transmission. One of them is to pop it into neutral as I coast to a stop, then sit in neural (clutch off and foot on the brake) until the light turns green. Then I try to go directly into first…..which works 75% of the time. But the other 25% of the time it helps (as recommended) to shift down into 2nd and then up to 1st.

I’m wondering if my driving technique has caused this problem? If so, what should I do differently? And also, is this something that will get worse over time?

Thanks.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
I've noticed this on every standard trans (new or old) I've driven in the past 34 years. My opinion is you don't have a problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
If you are going to shift into 1st while moving, you better learn how to double clutch / match revs so that you don't wear out that 1st gear syncro. I can honestly say that I learned the hard way....

rmorgan

Veteran Member
I’m wondering if my driving technique has caused this problem? If so, what should I do differently? And also, is this something that will get worse over time?

Check your owners manual, I beleive VW addressed this. Your driving style is ideal for a standard, downshifting while braking will wear out your clutch and transmission faster (and burn more fuel.)

Hope this helps,
Ryan

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
sometimes it is necessary to downshift.

if you have to keep the vehicle moving, then it might be necessary to downshift to 2nd. But if you know you are going to come to a complete stop, or almost a complete stop then it is not necessary to downshift at all, as discussed in a previous thread, these cars don't do engine breaking very well.