04 Jetta Sedan Trailer Hitch?

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
I'm looking for hitch recommendations. My primary purpose for hauling a Recumbent Trike and a bike. Weight of bikes is close to 100lbs. combined weight. I have no plans for a trailer. I might consider a small trailer in the future. Thanks.

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I put on a Curt hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver ($110 iirc) to haul a light trailer, basket carrier that folds up when not loaded and for bike carrier. I have had 150# on the basket on a 1600 mile trip with no issue (other than scraping on some driveway approaches) and have had 900# on small trailer with no issues short distance).

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I've got the Curt hitch on my 04 Wagon. (installed it myself, the instructions are available as a PDF online). The wagon mounting is very similar to what they used on the Mk4 Jetta sedans. No complaints for what it is: a Class 1 hitch. I've towed my utility trailer with this hitch (a beefy 5x8 galvanized with disc brakes), and also used the hitch to toss my bikes on my thule or yakima hitch mount racks (yes, I have one of each). I also have an antique Graber hitch mount rack from the early 1990's back when hitch mount racks first came out. I haven't used that one in ages, but it saw plenty of use on my Corrado back when I used to take my bike to work several days each week to ride at lunch.

Last edited: