Injector quantity deviation help please

Golfsport

TDI
2007 golf 1.9tdi
Hello all,
Mew member here looking for help. Recently purchased a 2007 1.9tdi golf sport with the BXE engine.
I bought the car knowing it had a misfire.

So I have a launch scanner not vcds sadly but it gives me most of the things I need.

Symptoms.
Cars starts fine and no excessive smoke from exhaust and engine sounds normal (no clattering etc).
At idle the engine shakes and it's obvious its misfiring, it misfires almost constantly but occasionally it smooths itself out momentarily.
Scanned ECU and have code p0301 misfire cylinder 1 detected.

If I look at injection quantity deviation I have the following readings on a warm engine at idle

Cylinder 1 = 2.47 mg/H
Cylinder 2 = -1.32 mg/H
Cylinder 3 = -0.96 mg/H
Cylinder 4 = -0.45 mg/H

So I know j have an issue on cylinder 1 as the ECU (I assume) is trying to compensate. Does this look like a faulty injector on cylinder 1 or what would you suggest.

I'm competent with tools so fire away!

Thanks
Matt

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
First thing is to actually get the real VCDS. I'd be guessing the numbers are way rich, well under 2.2. That would do exactly what you're describing. If you up the r's by just a few, does it smooth it out?

Golfsport

TDI
2007 golf 1.9tdi
First thing is to actually get the real VCDS. I'd be guessing the numbers are way rich, well under 2.2. That would do exactly what you're describing. If you up the r's by just a few, does it smooth it out?
I plan on getting vcds in the next week or so.
What do you meant by upping the R's?

Golfsport

TDI
2007 golf 1.9tdi
Check the camshaft, pump units have a tendency to wear camshafts out due to thin lobes. Number 1 usually goes first or number 4. Remove cam cover and have a look.
I remember seeing something specific about those engines had problems with them throwing number 1 con-rod a while back. Doubtful and would be a worse case scenario.
Thanks, I'll whip the cam cover off and have a look for obvious wear.
Is there a guide to installing injectors? I did plan on moving injector one to another cylinder to see if the fault migrated.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
If you step on the pedal and increase the rpm's slightly at idle.

Duke_962

TDI
2003 jetta 5spd
Make sure compression is good if the cam checks out. Otherwise could be a bad injector if compression is good. Air filter isn't brand new or look like water soaked at one point does it? If water hit it at some point it will be wrinkely looking. Since you bought it like that it's a possibility. A little boost can mask a slightly bent rod off idle

Golfsport

TDI
2007 golf 1.9tdi
Make sure compression is good if the cam checks out. Otherwise could be a bad injector if compression is good. Air filter isn't brand new or look like water soaked at one point does it? If water hit it at some point it will be wrinkely looking. Since you bought it like that it's a possibility. A little boost can mask a slightly bent rod off idle
Thanks for the tips. The misfire seems to go when the engine is revved so I'm not sure what that would mean mechanically?

Duke_962

TDI
2003 jetta 5spd
If the rod is slightly bent once you get boost into the cyl (rev it up slightly) it can make enough compression to not misfire. But as dannyboy said check the camshaft first. That’s the cheapest and hopefully the issue. If it goes down into the bottom end it gets more expensive quicker. Good luck hoping for the best. ����

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
I would check compression first as removing and re instling injectors on PD engines is a bit involving and requires replacement of one time use fasteners.