New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I'm finally a TDI owner - a 2014 JSW with 43,000 miles on the odometer, and fully optioned out. While the panoramic sunroof and navigation are really nice to have, I'm particularly enamored with the little details this car offers, such as:

- the cargo management blocks with velcro that allow you to better secure your cargo and prevent it from shifting;
- the footwell lighting that can stay illuminated as you're driving;
- the household style AC outlet in the rear of the center console; and
- the coat hooks that are positioned on the B-pillars, making it a perfect place to hang your coat while still enabling rear passengers to enter and exit the vehicle.

It's really all in the details. I'm just now reading the owners manual, cover to cover, and hope to learn about more exciting features that I can enjoy for many years and drives to come.

Wait till he finds out the fun little creature comfort tweaks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Wait till he finds out the fun little creature comfort tweaks ;)

Such as...?

I just started using the keyless entry convenience feature that enables you to lock and unlock the vehicle by touching the handle.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Such as...?

I just started using the keyless entry convenience feature that enables you to lock and unlock the vehicle by touching the handle.

Comfort open and closing windows, retaining seat heater settings for driver and passenger either 10 min or forever (whatever they were last set on). Adding esc sport instead of just traction control off.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Comfort open and closing windows, retaining seat heater settings for driver and passenger either 10 min or forever (whatever they were last set on). Adding esc sport instead of just traction control off.

I like the ability to turn on/off the footwell lighting, and vary the brightness/dimness in 5% increments. The tiniest things amuse me...

CJM_RVA

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Greetings all! Just bought my first TDI, first VW of any kind actually. 2013 Sportwagen, CPO, 64k miles. DSG w/sunroof, no nav. Tempest blue over cornsilk beige.

I didn't set out looking for a TDI specifically. I did want a wagon and I liked what I saw in features and price, so I drove one and was quite impressed. This one was a one owner North Carolina car and a very late buyback (early December '18) so it didn't sit for all that long. Looking forward to learning from the masters...

bmc1980

TDI
Greetings all! Just bought my first TDI, first VW of any kind actually. 2013 Sportwagen, CPO, 64k miles. DSG w/sunroof, no nav. Tempest blue over cornsilk beige.
I didn't set out looking for a TDI specifically. I did want a wagon and I liked what I saw in features and price, so I drove one and was quite impressed. This one was a one owner North Carolina car and a very late buyback (early December '18) so it didn't sit for all that long. Looking forward to learning from the masters...
I love that color! My 2014 is white. I'll try to post some photos of it on here.

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
Hello all! I've been a lurker on this page since the beginning of the year when I found out that I might possibly be ending up with my grandfather's VW Golf TDI. Figured now that the vehicle is in my possession that I might as well join the forum.

Currently, I'm in the Middle Tennessee area, but will be relocating to the Madison, WI area in the next few weeks for a job. The 2003 VW Golf TDI is going to become my daily to work. So I'm trying to get everything sorted out for it to make sure it's road ready when it gets up there in Wisconsin. I'm glad I browsed the Midwest section of the forum and found out there's quite a few trusted mechanics in the area, since I won't have the garage space to service my own vehicle.

This is my first VW and my first true manual. I come from driving a 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder with the 6spd SMT transmission in it (full time manual w/ computer actuated clutch). I'm glad my motorcycle has a clutch because it made the initial learning of the manual in the VW so much easier. Just had to apply the knowledge from my hand to my foot.

So here's what was gifted to me. 2003 Golf TDI GL 5spd, Reflex Silver, few hundred miles under 131k. Body damage is to driver side front fender, driver side door, and dent in lower under door panel passenger side. I'm going to be looking at replacing the driver side damage with used parts. I changed the fuel filter when I picked it up because I wasn't sure when that was last done. Luckily, he's kept files of most of the maintenance done to it along with paperwork for the wheels. One doesn't match because he bent one, I have a spare that matches the MeshX, but I have to figure out if that wheel is still good or not (because he couldn't remember if that was the good spare or one that was cracked). Also, the hatch's lift support struts are bad but I have a pair being shipped to me as I type this. Interior is cloth grey and the interior needs some TLC.

Asides from the damage repair, I've been browsing the forum about lifting it an 1" or 2" for extra clearance and adding a skid plate to the front to save the aluminum oil pan.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
New guy too but not new to VW, bought a brand new 2002 GTI that I chipped with intake/exhaust and a Weitec cup kit, currently have a 2014 Passat TSI dropped on H&R sports and 18’s and now this JSW.

I’m looking to dump the TSI, tired of the harsh/bouncy ride of the 18’s, wanting to improve fuel economy even though I don’t drive much, gas is $3.90 and to get out of the Passat payment. Looking at a total monthly savings of around $300

CakeNFace

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium TDI
New TDI owner here

Hello ALL! I bought my 2012 Jetta TDI manual about a month and a half ago and I am loving it! I am a seasoned hyper-miler and am averaging about 47 mpg over 3 tanks of gas (i drive a lot for work)! This is my first diesel car (always have wanted one). Hoping to learn how to care for it well and getting to know you all!
-Adam

I need to figure out how to add my fuelly signature!

sd3534TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta
Many of the links in this post are no longer working. :-(

Moderator Note:

Newbies, this thread is more than a decade old! It started out as a HOW TO post, but you will now find an entire HOW TO thread with links galore here: HOW TO

Since its original inception, this thread has evolved into an introduction and welcome thread. Feel free to introduce yourself here and post a picture of your car. If you have a question, feel free to browse the TDI 101 section, one of the model-specific sections, or any one of the forums on our site. :cool:

There is also a SEARCH function so you can quickly find what you're looking for - there are a number of common questions/problems that have already been discussed that you may find interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

Take some time and read through the TDIFAQ and the forums.

Consider the EGR modification:

Who has Vag-Com and where: (They are nice people, and can help with the EGR mod)

Read up on the Break-In period . This is important, and can save you many problems down the road!

How To Drive a Stick - Shifting Points

Most recommend that you DO NOT change your oil prior to 5,000 miles:
Do not change prior to 5,000
Do not change prior to 5,000

Diesel 101

Try to use Premium Diesel

Or better yet, try BIODIESEL

Can't get premium or biodiesel, consider adding an additive:

If you are experiencing "poor" mileage:

Another Poor Fuel Economy Post

Come to a GTG and meet your fellow TDI'ers, they can help you out.

Here is a picture of the TDI engine with many important components labeled:

Some general maintenance items:

GeWilli's How To Page
GeWilli's site has lots of good information including: relay 109, MAF analysis, bulb changing (harder than it sounds), any many more!!!

Link to Useful PDF's
This links to a post with a bunch of downloadable PDF files on some procedures.

More How To's

How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change

How to change the Fuel Filter

How to clean the Snowscreen
How to clean the Snowscreen

Testing Glow Plugs

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Intake Manifold Cleaning

MAF Failure Analysis

Some add-ons/modifications to consider:

Skidplate

Fumuto Valve

Ventectomy

Mufflerectomy

CCV Mod

Evry Mod

Custom Boost Gauge

How to Buy a Used TDI

Anyone else have something to add that all newbies should read up on? Are there better posts out there that I didn't include?

One last hint... scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Favorite Thread link. This will add a link to your "My Home" so you always have a quick link to it.

Good Day:
Sorry to report that many of the links in the above post are no longer working.
Thanks
Sd3534TDI

sd3534TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hello! New TDI Owner here...

Hi:
I bought a 2006 TDI Jetta with 90k and automatic for $4700.
Car is in great shape and runs well.
I have always loved Diesels and everything about them, noise and smell!

I drive about 40 miles per day 99% highway.
My first tank I got 38.8 mpg based on real calculations not the dash.

Goals:
Get 50 mpg or better.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Glad to be with fellow diesel lovers. :)

May the noise and smoke be with you!
Sd3534TDI

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
ULSD fuel is your enemy in your attempt to hit much above 40mpgUS...

Hi:
I bought a 2006 TDI Jetta with 90k and automatic for $4700.
Car is in great shape and runs well.
I have always loved Diesels and everything about them, noise and smell!

I drive about 40 miles per day 99% highway.
My first tank I got 38.8 mpg based on real calculations not the dash.

Goals:
Get 50 mpg or better.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Glad to be with fellow diesel lovers. :)

May the noise and smoke be with you!
Sd3534TDI
Just under 39mpgs is not bad.....On ULSD you are likely never going to see above the low 40s with a lot of effort, unless you could go back into time and find a supply of low sulfur diesel you will never see 50:eek:....

If you know what you are doing you can tweek the injection timing(you will have to look up how to adjust the sensors to fool the ecu into not knowing it is injecting fuel at little earlier) Also To improve mpgs on a automatic PD engine install Oversize tires(70-75 series heighht taller & narrower), keep speeds down, get into high gear & stay there at speeds above ~35mph as soon as the ecu will allow, skip gears forcing it into high gear as soon as the ecu will allow, use "N" as much as traffic allows coasting up to stop lights & stops, do not put it back into gear until right before you start moving....

Facts are that PD engines struggle to get much above high 30s to 40 mpgUS with the ULSD we have today(less energy in a gal of fuel than the LSD we had when the car was new)....with LSD in the day ~45mpgUS was a lot easier to achieve....

I have a Passat PD that on ULSD has trouble today getting much above ~35 mpgUS even with me doing what I describe, that when it was new got above 40mpgs almost every tank on LSD fuel....

guitargizmo

TDI
2012 Golf TDI

Just got a 2012 Golf TDI and loving it! My first VW and I'm already hooked. May have a lot of questions coming across at times as I am not only new to VW but new to Diesel. Glad to be a part of the family. :)

TDI
2003 Mk4 Golf
Just got a 2012 Golf TDI and loving it! My first VW and I'm already hooked. May have a lot of questions coming across at times as I am not only new to VW but new to Diesel. Glad to be a part of the family. :)

Welcome to the VW and Diesel families. Knowing this place, almost everyone will have an answer to your questions. Hope you have fun with that little Golf.

sd3534TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks much rotarykid for all the info!
I am just happy that it runs great and the fuel savings actually pays for the car payment!

vwdoc1

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH automatic, Class II hitch
Just joined this group!

Hello all,
I am a newbie member to this group but not new to VWs having worked on them since the early 70's. I have owned multiple Rabbit Diesels back in the 80's and am now on my 2nd Jetta TDI.
The first TDI ('00 Black Jetta converted to a 5-spd) was purchased not running. It was run out of fuel so it was a great purchase.
While improving on it, it was hit hard when parked but I installed another rear suspension pulled out a lot of the damage, made sure it ran well and sold it.
My second TDI ('01 Blue Jetta auto) was purchased with a bad engine. I found a donor power plant and installed it. It is running very well again.
Now I am getting used to driving an automatic while improving this TDI.
Looking for a protective skid plate.
AFN
One out of many daves
Chicago

gigaz

TDI
Golf mk3, Audi A6 V6 tdi
Hi all,

Is it just me or most of the links from the first post are dead/404?

ZWBeamer

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hi my names Zach and I just finally joined the forum after using it as a reference for multiple maintenance issues. I have a 2012 VW Jetta TDI.. not sure what that is as far as MK?. Have a couple issues now that I can’t figure out without being able to actually communicate with some knowledgeable people so I figured it was time to actually register. Anyway thanks for the info that you have all posted. Very helpful resource.

Scoobaru

TDI
Mk6 Golf
Hello all I just recently pick up a 2011 Golf and am loving every second of it. So far I've done a few QOL mods such as a RCD330 plus, a Viofo A129 dash cam, and LED lights pretty much throughout. I'm exited to really get into the mods once my warranty runs out which with how much I drive for work each day wont be long. Look forward to chatting with y'all.

riceboyler

TDI
2005 Passat B5.5
2005 Passat B5.5 TDI Sedan

I have recently joined the TDI family having purchased a 2005 Passat Sedan from my younger brother. This is my first diesel vehicle, but having just moved to Utah from Massachusetts, it made sense to move to diesel fuel (since it's about 15 cents a gallon cheaper). I've owned a turbocharged (gas) car of some kind consistently since 2002, moving from Turbo Dodges to Volvos to Saabs with a few oddballs here and there.

When I bought my Passat, it was having big issues constantly going into limp mode which I was able to track down (with the help of this forum) to a couple of bad vacuum lines. This morning I flashed a Malone Tuning Stage 2 tune on it, and it was great while the engine was cold, but as the day got warmer, it kept getting slower and slower.

I think we've tracked the issue down to the fuel delivery, so I'll either need to get the injectors rebuilt or check the fuel filter.

DmaxjonTDI

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen
hey everyone names jon got my 1st VW 14 JSW M6 this week lovin the mpg this is not my 1st diesel also have a 2015 gmc lml hope to help and get help here

Last edited:

Marvin.S

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
Hi Everyone, I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Happy to be part of the group.

I am still questioning whether TDI was a good choice or if 1.8 TSI would be a better choice? I will be happy to hear from you guys who have driven TDI for a while.

What mpg should I expect to have in the city and highways with TDI? The emission issue is fixed at the dealer by updating some exhaust parts. I got 40 mpg on my first long highway ride. Could you have the same mpg with 1.8T passat?

jessenator

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Greetings, all. Just bought a 2012 Sportwagen TDI as my new daily.

Hoping to wrench on it after a while—not so much for modding, but for maintenance. Not new to car work, just new to VWs; and by all accounts their tolerances are quite tighter than what I'm used to, so I'm going to take it easy the first couple years.

Last edited: