Pulling rear stub axle

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I need to pull the thing to change out some shims I had put in there for rear toe.

The four bolts that hold it in the two rears are easy to loosen, but the front two are impossible to get any normal wrench on without getting the abs wheel and hub etc out of the way.

How is this pulled? Is there a nut under the end cab furtherest outboard at center of hub? I think I'll need to use a slide hammer to yank the thing off to get to these bolts? Not apparent how the thing is assembled, and naturally harder to work on that it probably should be.

I found a thin metal ring floating in there too. Not sure if I knocked it loose or it was already...guessing was loose already.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you need to take the hub off

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Roger....how done? is there a nut under that outboard cover? then a slide hammer or rubber mallet to jar it off?

Im hesitant to do anything unnecessary with this thing, delicate, expensive stuff. Then a slide

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
pop off the axle hub nut cover with a screw driver, then a big socket. i can't remember the size, and it just pulls off by hand. and fwiw, new oem splash shields are pretty cheap on 1stvwparts.com. worthwhile to replace if yours are in poor shape

SoCalC

Veteran Member
splash shields look ok...being a little sarcastic I have to admit... It says 22H IWI. I think....looks like its stamped on there...dont have that of course.... 12 point...

Its not 22 mm. that would be to convenient. My 1.25 standard doesnt fit it, holding a tape to it looks like about 1.375 standard with 12 points.... my math tells me thats about 35 mm. Ring a bell before I go get or borrow a socket

SoCalC

Veteran Member
online...looks like its a 30 mm, so I measured it wrong... must be to bottom of valley not peak of nut....ignorance.... but now I have something to work with.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
30mm sounds right. i didn't have to use any pullers to take mine off. it was incredibly easy

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I have the puller ready in case. The 4th place I went to...Lowes had teh socket....ha