Replacing B4 glow plug harness

Glennbo

Veteran Member
My glow plug harness plastic is cracked. I have a new harness and looks like the old harness will need to be removed from the main engine connector with a special terminal removal tool. I did see one thread about simply cut and remove and splice. i was hoping to get a removal tool. any ideas?

This is the 2 wire harness.

Thanks

Glenn
96 Passat TDI

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Last time I tried to extract from the main harness, the connector started crumbling. That plastic gets brittle over the years!

Cut-n-splice

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
It can be done but beware, the last time I tried to swap out the pins from the connector, the pins weren't the right size ( correct VW harness per ETKA ), the blades were too wide and I had to shave them down slightly to fit into the 24 pin connector, it worked but was a hassle. With the right soldering skills and some proper heat shrink tubing, the splice method can turn out really nicely, don't cut corners with a cheap butt splice.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I used the cut-n-splice method. Solder the connections, don't crimp, and use some heavy heat shrink to cover the joints. Did this on both of our B4's several years ago, still going strong.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
I replaced mine on my 1997 Jetta and removed the connectors in the main harness. I just used a screwdriver to push the pins through and it worked very well. Just my experience.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
I wanted to do the G.P. connection "properly" but after searching a manner to disassemble the "pony tail" to replace the new G.P. harness..., I GAVE UP!

Cut, splice and use good heat shrink tubing or the better heat tape like TonyJetta mentioned, give yourself about three inches from the "ponytail" for work room. OK?

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
B4 Variant w/297K and a couple of MODS.

Glennbo

Veteran Member
Well I finally did the glow plug harness. I tried to depin it at canon plug, quickly gave up after damaging it. Ended up splicing. I am usually good at these kinds of things but was quickly depeated by crumbling delicate connector. It didnt solve my long cranking in cold weather issue.

Thanks