Question in IP timing 1997 B4 1Z

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hey gang,

I am trying to check and see if my pump is in time… A kind soul with a vagcom was able to go into basic settings and let me know that my second number is 066 and my ninth number is 118. With that information, I am supposed to go to the Bentley Manuel and find out if my pump is properly time to or not.

I cannot find where in my Bentley manual that tells me this is correct or not.

What I do know, is that with the engine running the requested and actual timing is 1.1 before top dead center… Which appears to be correct.

If someone could tell me what page, orlet me know if this information I have supplied is enough to tell if my pump is properly times or not.

Thanks,

Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
We couldnt get the current timing pattern to show up on the graph at all, let alone between the lines...and we didn't want to mess with physical adjusting the pump(it was 50 miles from my house and I didn't want to be left there stranded)

Is there a page in the blue B4 Bentley manual that these magical 2nd and 9th numbers somewhere?

Thanks,
Steve

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Did you select your engine from the pull down menu?

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
We used the 1Z/AHU info ...( but as I recall, it said it was in an Audi) anyways, there was none that said vw B4 1Z, so we used what seemed best.

JETaah

TDI
That happened to me once after I received a chip set for a tune on a 1Z 1997 Passat.
I will see if I can find the Bentley graph in my MK3 Jetta manual for those years but I believe that your stated timing will be just about perfect with the cross hairs being very close to the green line of the timing window.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
my second number is 066 and my ninth number is 118
Yep that should put the timing right at the top green line. If you really want to fine tune the timing, you should see if there is any timing adaptation done to it or if its stock value 32678. If it isn't stock put the adaptation back to stock value and adjust timing so that you can get the cold start valve duty cycle as low as possible and the timing as advanced as possible(with engine warm 80c+). The graph is a good quick way to see where mechanical timing is at but it doesn't tell the entire story. If you want to kill some time reading, look at the "TDI timing revisited" thread.

JETaah

TDI
Here is the graph for an AHU

A= field 2
B= field 9

Last edited:

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys!

So it sounds that my pump is within parameters…

Here's my issue:

the engine is a bit hard to start when cold and puts out a little bit of smoke,(yes it has brand new glow plugs). If I leave it for a week or so smokes for a few minutes, even if it's summer.

I was wondering if the pump timing was to blame for this problem. This is where I miss playing with my indirect injection motors I could set the timing with a dial indicator...
without any confusion!

Thanks again,

Steve

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Be sure that you are checking timing when the engine is up to temp (90°C).

Btw, you can still check timing with a dial indicator, VWDiesel did a YouTube video on exactly that.

Also, check injection quantity. Timing and IQ both need to be in spec.

Not sure about smoke for several minutes after starting,, but my car is in perfect specifications and it smokes on cold starts too.