SEL Fender Sound System Problem

dbs600

TDI
2017 VW Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
System overall is pretty good, but at 500 miles just now noticing something not previously heard:

Static / distortion at moderate volume on all radio bands; AM, FM and SAT.

SD Card music collection and navigation voice instructions are crystal clear. What gives?

Reduced Treble and Mid some, which helped slightly, but still intermittent, but frequent buzz.

Would have expected more from this system.

Par for the course, or something wrong? :|

Thanks.

mikester2

TDI
1982 VW Westy 1.6TD, 1996 B4 TDI (383K), 2015 NMS TDI SEL DSG (11K)
I have a 2015 with the 510 radio and have not had that problem at all.

I did have one issue where it did not put out any sound, as though it were muted, but restarting the car fixed that.

I have had a few other quirks with the unit, mainly just lag and a nav issue, but no distortion. I use it with FM/XM/SD/iPod/internal, pretty much everything but CD and AM. Overall I am still blown away by the sound quality so far so I hope yours is not a common flaw.

I had an issue with stuttering on an HD radio station, but found that was because it was picking up and losing the HD signal because I am in a fringe area. I went into setup and disabled HD. The unit doesn't properly handle HD anyway.

There is a diagnostic menu you can enter, I cannot remember the button presses now. It will show you some internal info such as received signal strength, etc.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The OP is a 2017, so likely not an RNS510 . . . not sure if any of the menus and such are accessed the same on the newer stuff . . .

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I have a similar Fender issue: AM band sounds really bad, all speech is scratchy, like blown speakers. FM and all other sources are fine.

Last edited:

dbs600

TDI
2017 VW Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
Thanks everyone.

Going to look into whether I can access the diag menu.

If you recall how to access same, please let me know.

Strange that some bands / sources work and some don't.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Not sure where to find the answer to this as google is worthless. I'm turning my 2013 Passat in to VW in 2 weeks. I'm going to want to WIPE the hard drive, nav system, phone book but can't find a way to do it. I've tried the factory reset but it just resets t he sound settings and deletes stations. So, to clear the hard drive and nav system, anyone tried that yet?

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW

Thanks. Though I had already done what they showed in the video, it doesn't wipe the songs off the hard drive. Soooo, I kind of figured it out.

You have to go into MEDIA and select the HDD
If you select the little box next to each music folder, it will let you DELETE it.
BUT (I think this is a BIG FLAW) or a bug, but you can't delete the remaining folder because the system tags it as IN USE. So, I created another folder, copied one song into it, then went back and deleted the folder with the rest of the music.

So, I turn in the car with ONE song. Highway song by Greta Van Fleet. :cool: Everything else was erased (nav, phone, contacts, stations, etc). :rolleyes:

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Nice work around. :)

Yeah, thanks. I hope (wish) someone finds an easier way to do it but I didn't want to delete each song one by one. Had like 500 songs total. So, I hope who ends up with the car likes Led Zeplin, the band/song I left on there is from a young local group from Frankenmuth Michigan. They sound like Led Zeppelin (and 3 of the 4 members are brothers)
:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSayVA_3Cc