How much would you pay? 2011 Tdi sedan

smee907

TDI
09 Jetta Sedan
Hi guys, I'm looking at a 2011 Jetta Tdi Sedan with a manual trans, alloys, and about 130k miles. It has had a timing belt and is in good shape other than a tear along a seam on the driver's seat. Its a leather interior. What would you pay for one? I'm thinking about buying it, but am not sure if I can justify spending on it. Also, should I look out for anything specific if I decide to look into it more? Thanks!

Tom

Mike02z

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2016 Challenger Hellcat
I looked at a couple recent sales at auction and they are selling around 7000 for similar mileage manuals. The low was 5500 but that was rough and on the high end one went for 7600. Dealer is likely asking 10k and likely paid around 6500

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I wouldn't buy one because of all the emission system fail built into them (2009 through 2014). The thought of possibly spending more on emission system failures than a car is worth is just absurd.

If emission system maintenance costs are many times more than the savings you would get from the VG fuel economy a TDI can deliver the financial benefit just isn't there.
There are people that will say oh ya? my 2010 or whatever has been just fine. Not much consolation to folks that have to spend most of the buy back money amount on repairs so they can get the buy back.

I would wait for at least the 2018 A7's and see what kind of repair cost history the A7's rack up before buying.

As an aside, I would take a close look at the Mazda SKYACTIV-D. Their claim is that they can control NOx emissions without the Rube Goldberg after treatment for NOx that VW and other manufacturers are currently using. They claim that SKYACTIV-D controls NOx during the combustion process not after it.:):cool:

They plan on selling them here and if SkyActive-D pans out, that is were my money will be spent.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-mazdas-skyactiv-d-technology-works-masoom-kumar

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I wouldn't buy one because of all the emission system fail built into them (2009 through 2014).
I have to assume you know about the extended warranty on all the fail points for Gen 1's...

"4 years and 6 months or 54,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, from the date and mileage of the emissions
modification."

I agree with Mike02z's assessment. If you can get a good deal, buy it. Drive more, worry less.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have to assume you know about the extended warranty on all the fail points for Gen 1's...
"4 years and 6 months or 54,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, from the date and mileage of the emissions
modification."
I agree with Mike02z's assessment. If you can get a good deal, buy it. Drive more, worry less.
When the warranty runs out, which they do all do to quickly, you are still stuck with a car that does have a lot of expensive engineering fail built into them and guess who gets to pay at mile 54,001?

I would much rather have a good product with no warranty than a fail product with a warranty and really, the 2009 through 2014 CR TDI's are fail products.

Speaking of warranties, in the 1980's GM's cars were pretty dismal and some folks would end up going to the dealers time after time after time for the same problem. The dealers would get around the lemon law by never writing up the problem with the same wording more than 2 times in a row.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't buy one because of all the emission system fail built into them (2009 through 2014). The thought of possibly spending more on emission system failures than a car is worth is just absurd.

If emission system maintenance costs are many times more than the savings you would get from the VG fuel economy a TDI can deliver the financial benefit just isn't there.
There are people that will say oh ya? my 2010 or whatever has been just fine. Not much consolation to folks that have to spend most of the buy back money amount on repairs so they can get the buy back.

I would wait for at least the 2018 A7's and see what kind of repair cost history the A7's rack up before buying.

As an aside, I would take a close look at the Mazda SKYACTIV-D. Their claim is that they can control NOx emissions without the Rube Goldberg after treatment for NOx that VW and other manufacturers are currently using. They claim that SKYACTIV-D controls NOx during the combustion process not after it.:):cool:

They plan on selling them here and if SkyActive-D pans out, that is were my money will be spent.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-mazdas-skyactiv-d-technology-works-masoom-kumar
The skyactiv d model sold here has all the same emissions bits as the tdi: DPF, SCR, urea treatment- plus an unproven track record here to boot. Where it has been available for awhile in other markets it has a reputation for severely diluting the motor oil with fuel. To the point where they had to reduce the oci to something like 5k miles so oil/fuel wouldn't start overflowing. I hope they can work out the problems, but the tdi is a known entity at least.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I did some research recently and found a lot of the same stuff. It does not look good at this point for Mazda. At least it's competition and maybe other manufacturers will step up to the plate.

It could be that with the EPA's ever tightening noose, Diesels cars here will become a thing of the past. Seriously, the EPA needs to be put on a leash and answer to the people and common sense. The newer more restrictive standards do next to nothing for actually improving air quality and add some really stupid expensive and failure prone technology to Diesels.

Let's go after the VOC emissions but include the VOC's that are released during refining, storage and transport. Diesels would easily win that fight since Diesel VOC emissions are close to non existent.