Little Pittsburgh Clan

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Just thought I would start a little Pittsburgh and surrounding area thread. You know, a place to go where everybody knows your name.
There seems to be more of us popping up. Maybe CRG can bring some of his friends to a future GTG :rolleyes:

Dave

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
As jeff explained it to me... When someone has extra features on the VW, such as a VNT17, or an 11mm Pump for example, Jeff will change the program for their setup accordingly. Or their VW might just work better with a different setup...
In my case...
When I went to see Jeff, he had just got back from Texas where his laptop crashed. So he pulled the hard drive, and pulled an RC program from it, put it in another laptop, and loaded it onto my ECU. When we were test driving, he said it seemed more than an RC2/3, so he looked at the program, and realized it was a 2+ and 3+. He didn't remember why this setup in particular was a plus+. I guess I would have to find out whose car it is on, and ask him. I think I'll ask in that texas thread...

I was thinking of having Jeff take me down to a regular 2/3. I'm still undecided on this.
In Vagcom, under the Engine Contro Module, you can see listed, under Rocketchip, 'S02' for stage 2. SP02 is listed for a plus setup.

Last edited:

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Hey guys, I think it's a good idea to keep a thread like this alive. I know there are a bunch of TDI's in the area, I see them all the time. I think they just don't know about the forum so let's spread the word.

I've been thinking about RC2. I have stock nozzles and clutch. I heard Jeff is in PA somewhere so I hope over the summer I can get it done. Like to do nozzles at the same time.

Maybe a GTG sometime if we can get the numbers up.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Pittsburgh Auto Show?

Any Pitt TDIer's going to the Auto Show later this week? I'll be there Sunday. Just curious if anyone else will be checking out the new VW models.
Sincerely, Dweisel

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
Hey guys, good to see a Pittsburgh thread. Might have to have a get together at some point again. Talk to you all later

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
PghPAtdi - thanks for the IM, I got a 99.5 2 door golf tdi rc2 with pp520's just turned 161k. I'm going to a vnt17 real soon!!! Just want to check in. So when is the gtg????

Also got a 96 Passat tdi for if anyone is looking.

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
pghPAtdi said:
Hey Dub95, This seems to be getting some response!
Let us know when you so the VNT17 swap.
Any interest in a rear swaybar???? good price for you! :)

I might be, but I got to get some other damage repaired first. I was rear ended a few weeks ago.

RichS

Veteran Member
TDI
05 VW Jetta Wagon 5sp
Why hello!!

Hello guys,
I've probably seen a few of you running on 28. Glad to see something like this. I could be extremely usefull if anyone is caught in a pinch, as far as local support.

Thanks.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Astonish. Not sure yet if I'm going or not. I also have vag-com (USB version). Do you know how to get ahold of Jeff (website, etc.)?

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
Hey Dave,

If the timing was right, I'd make the short trip (3hrs) and come over for a GTG, weekend event, or even a Guinness or two. Besides, I make a few trips to Brookline and the South Park areas each year anyway.

BTW, we missed you at this year's Spring GTG.

Mark

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
jwlionking said:
Stirer - email him at info@rocketchip.com

The trick is to be very descriptive in subject.
In the body of the email give details of your car what you are looking for, etc.
Jeff will get back to you, sometimes it takes him a little while though!!! I can tell you it is worth the wait!!!!:D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yeah,he's in Wisconsin this weekend.I went to Marysville GTG last weekend and had him install RC2/3 switchable(RC2 for now-stock clutch) and Oliver installed PP520's-well worth the money!!!!

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you guys all seem very much in the chip "know". I want to keep my stock clutch, for now, and don't have upgraded injectors, yet. What do you think is a good starting point with my plan to upgrade injections shortly thereafter? What is a good chip/injector set for some more power but not a smoking mess?

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Rocketchip will give you no or minimal smoke. I don't have any smoke- RC2+, sprint 520's. I think you might want to get injectors first. Just email Jeff, he knows his stuff...

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Great idea - a Pittsburgh area thread

I've met a few of you. Mentioned TDI club to atleast a dozen folks who had never heard of it - one at the local VW dealer last week. I do occasionaly run into metalnerd - about one time a year in the Greensburg area.

I'm at 13?k and will probably plan on an intake cleaning sometime soon. Thinking about the nozzles - still debating on if they are a wear item. I always run PS white in winter, Lucas injector cleaner in the summer. I need to replace the bearings on drivers strut again - anyone know of a better quality stock style replacement? This will be the second replacement but I really think it's them again. Swaybar bushings (replaced 40k ago) seem fine. Struts themselves(replaced one time) seem fine.

Don't know if I'd ever be able to do a GTG but I do have a 4 post lift here at home that is free from time to time. If someone wanted to do something like a skidplate install we could probably work something out. Evenings are typically better than weekends for me.

Someday I may even chase the frequent front brake squeak under light breaking - I think pghTDI is trying to acquire expertise in this area.

Anyway I'm north of Greensburg up near Apollo right off route 66. I try to check in here atleast weekly.

Looking forward to meeting more of you. I have a vag-com as well but use it for reading and clearing codes - nothing exotic - atleast not yet.

Dave

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
tdidieselbobny said:
Yeah,he's in Wisconsin this weekend.I went to Marysville GTG last weekend and had him install RC2/3 switchable(RC2 for now-stock clutch) and Oliver installed PP520's-well worth the money!!!!
That is exactly what I had done at tdifest last year in philly:D

85Porsche

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Guys - Excellent idea on starting this thread. A GTG would be great.

I drive an 04 wheat beige Jetta with a european "Jetta TDI" front license plate on my way from Delmont to Harmar everyday.

Scott