Comparison: 2012 Sonata Hybrid vs 2012 Camry Hybrid vs. 2012 Passat TDi

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Prius Three w/Solar Roof
A pretty decent road test article by Motor Trend.

I find the article pretty unbiased although the mpg numbers were very low for all of the vehicles. I guess they drove all three with a lead foot because the Camry and Passat should have been able to hit 40mpg with so much highway time. Regardless, the numbers for the Camry and Passat came out high. I like how they made the distinction between actual performance numbers like 0-60mph vs. feel of the car. Despite the Camry being much quicker than the Passat, the Passat was more fun to drive with all of the available low end torque. :)

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/s...lkswagen_passat_vr6_sel_comparison/index.html

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Interesting that the Passat TDI was also the cheapest car (as for as-tested price).

I drove one at the Orange County Auto Show last earlier in the month. One thing I really enjoyed was that even with the front seat all the way back, I could sit comfortably in the back with ample leg room (I'm 6'4"). I did the same in the Sonata Hybrid with other people driving, and was a little cramped, and that was with the driver's seat in the middle.

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting that the Passat TDI was also the cheapest car (as for as-tested price).

I drove one at the Orange County Auto Show last earlier in the month. One thing I really enjoyed was that even with the front seat all the way back, I could sit comfortably in the back with ample leg room (I'm 6'4"). I did the same in the Sonata Hybrid with other people driving, and was a little cramped, and that was with the driver's seat in the middle.
How did they compare in handling to your Jetta? I mean when your car was stock. It's so modded now that it probably feels like it is on rails compared to most cars. :)

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
They used the XLE model Camry (MSRP $27,400) instead of the base model XL (MSRP $25,900) which gets a 1mpg higher rating. At those prices though who cares. The Passat TDI SE MSRP $25,995. :)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
It will get better mileage after 15,000-20,000 if it is anything like my 2010 2.0 CR. Check out my fuelly records. I am experiencing slow increase in fuel economy in the last 5000 miles. Nearly 40mpg with 80% city driving, and when I bought it, it was getting 36mpg routinely.

No change in driving habits (still pretty aggressive). It is just getting better after 20k miles. And the new Passat is practically identical in weight to the JSW as well (at 3300 lbs, Passat TDI is only about 150 lbs more). Fuel economy should be similar.

Last edited:

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
Forced to find faults, we could only come up with the lack of an iPod/USB interface.
I have an SE w/ Nav and it has an IPOD interface in the armrest (supposedly you can buy other connectors for the various USB ports). Is that only in the SEs with Nav systems?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Yeah, nav gets the MDI. Plain SE like my 6MT only gets an analog aux jack. The RCD-510 still supports A2DP streaming and it eats SD cards and six CDs, so not much of a loss, at least for me. I use satellite, FM, or SD card 99% of the time anyway.

Melensdad

Rural N.W. Indiana, on the edge of the Lake Michig
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, red w/Thunderbunny kit
Motor Trend magazine also did a test of the same 3 cars with GASOLINE engines. The PASSAT was again the #1 choice, the Camry and the Sonata came in 2nd & 3rd respectively in that comparison as well. So either DIESEL or GAS, the Passat came out on top.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
The camry has to be one of the most boring cars I've ever driven would rather have a german car
Same for the Prius. Have heard them both described as like driving "an appliance" Have to have a car with a little soul. I most times have more fun getting there than the actual destination...

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
Same for the Prius. Have heard them both described as like driving "an appliance" Have to have a car with a little soul. I most times have more fun getting there than the actual destination...
What's funny is I have driven/owned vehicles that are faster/quicker than many people in these kinds of forums have ever even ridden in yet I find the Prius one of the most fun cars to drive that I have ever owned. Granted the pleasure increased significantly with mods but still. It's a different kind of driving experience.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Huh? There is no 170hp TDI in the N/A market.
So bring it on VW, bring in the 170hp TDI engine. This power plant really brings in significant hp increase without much detriments in fuel economy (almost no difference in FE if you look at the Euro figures). You will going to need it for product mid life update.

Reading those comparison tests, seems like there are some angry readers not happy to see VW do well. Some of the comments from pro Toyota Honda posters are plain panic, probably Toyota sales, they definitely DO NOT like to see this Passat swimming in their water. If anything, the 2012 Camry and current Accord are probably just as good as the 2012 Passat, which is made up of various VW group parts, some used in VW group product as long as 3-4 years ago. It is a new car for VW in the US market, but VW has those arsenals already in hand years ago.

Frankly I am just happy to see VW has been able to give them a few slaps on their face, a lot of the supporters in the pro Honda Toyota camp have no idea on the scale and market penetration VW product occupies in the world wide market.

Finally, I think the journalists may have come to the realization to accept VW's current US strategy, a conclusion that this strategy is a working strategy and that they don't really know a **** about selling cars. Those initial comments and bad mouthing on VW's MK VI Jetta strategy were very unfortunately, unfair and immature.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
What's funny is I have driven/owned vehicles that are faster/quicker than many people in these kinds of forums have ever even ridden in yet I find the Prius one of the most fun cars to drive that I have ever owned. Granted the pleasure increased significantly with mods but still. It's a different kind of driving experience.
The Volt is not a bad driving experience, if I were going electric/hybrid that would be my choice.

radtech83

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT White
Any other comments I'm looking at the pro's and con's between the Sonata Hybrid and the TDI Passat 6MT