Valvoline 5W-30 maxlife synthetic

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
just picked up 5 qts after seeing it lists 505.00 and 505.01 specs. too bad I already filled the crankase with Elf 0W-30 last weekend.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Ah no it doesn't!

MaxLife Synthetic is safe for new and rebuilt engines and will not void new car warranties. Recommended for engines specifying API SL/SJ, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL01/98, VW502.00/505.00, MB229.3/229.1. See owners manual for appropriate viscosity.
Very old specification compliance... Does not meet any of the new motor requirements

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Drivbiwire said:
Ah no it doesn't!

Very old specification compliance... Does not meet any of the new motor requirements
hey, "Drive by the fly wire", instead of bashing people , go and pick a qt. from walmart. It says " 505.01" too. You always jump into the opportunity to prove people wrong.

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Unless their website is wrong ?? I read the same info as Drivbiwire ? ( not compliant ) Check the container again !!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Take a picture and post it, I simply posted the specs directly OFF THE VALVOLINE WEB SITE.

No bashing just pointing out a descrepency in what you posted.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Valvoline - DuraBlend Diesel
VW Pumpe-Düse 505.01
SAE 5W-40

ACEA: B3
API: CF
MB.229.1
Ford: M2C-917A
VW: 500.00 / 505.00 (1/97) 505.01

Other options:

Valvoline - SYNPOWER XL - III
SAE 5W-30
1 ltr. Gebinde
VW 504.00/506.00/506.01/507.00

Sadly, none of those are sold at WalMart

DB

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Synpower XL - III is in the USA - I have not seen. When't to get a trans filter for a truck at Autozone and while waiting check containers and no 505.01 either, they did not even have the Quaker State. Especially Maxlife, Valoline claims their Synpower 5W40 is OK. But yes if you have a container of Valvoline if you have a digital get a pic, it has to be a misprint. I found allot of 505.00 but no .01

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Drivbiwire said:
Name 5W-30 Motor Oil
Size Quart
Part VV179
UPC 0-74130-00179-4

Nope does not say "505.01"

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=101

:eek:
DB
yep, I checked the site too cause I am sure you did :rolleyes: The bottle says 505.00 and 505.01 . i could not believe it either, i was just checking Walmart to see if the new Delvac has shown up and wanted to pick an oil for my Scirocco which is rarely started and thought Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic would be a good choice. tried to put a pic but can't find my cameras USB cable.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
One of two things will happen here. Newbie Dimitri will be offering an apology for his belligerence OR Valvoline is printing "505.01" on every product they produce. Weren't they accused of this last month :confused:

The only product VAG has approved (per May 29, 2006 list) is Valv DuraBlend 5W40...no others.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
dieseldorf said:
One of two things will happen here. Newbie Dimitri will be offering an apology for his belligerence OR Valvoline is printing "505.01" on every product they produce. Weren't they accused of this last month :confused:

The only product VAG has approved (per May 29, 2006 list) is Valv DuraBlend 5W40...no others.
I will look for that cable, excuse this "newbie" for his belligerence master
Dieseldorf

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone with a hunger for a 20W50 505.01 oil ?

No :eek: Well, guess what! Valvoline claims to have one! It's a one-off. ;) It's a one-and-only!

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf

Can you say "out of control" ? :rolleyes: The guy signing off on these on these specs sheets should _____________________ ....well, you figure it out.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
You know if in fact his Walmart is selling 505.01, GREAT! More oil choices for all of us.

Anytime I hear about a new source of oil I check out the specs along with the MSDS to see how an oil compares.

Thus far I don't see any listing under Valvoline for PD motors (505.01) other than the two I posted.

Get a picture then we can find out if in fact it's showing a 505.01 compliance statement... If it turns out that this is a typo then it will have to be addressed by Valvoline because of misapplication by consumers and possible warranty issues on the motors.

DB

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dimitri16V said:
I will look for that cable, excuse this "newbie" for his belligerence, master Dieseldorf
Hey, it's not your fault if it's printed on the label. I agree, a month or two ago Valvoline claimed to have 3 - 4 compliant 505.01 oils. Somebody is really out of control.

I don't believe the product I mentioned above is even available in the USA.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
Valvoline and 505.01

I haven't seen the 5W30 Maxlife Syntetic on the shelf, but I don't think it has 505.01 on the label. It does meet 502.00 (Gas) and 505.00 (Diesel for 2003 and older)

However: Synpower 5W40 (Synthetic - not the Blend Product) does have the 505.01 printed on the back of the bottle ( http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/IMG_0600.JPG )

The summary:
Valvoline is claiming that the Oil Meets the specification. Much like AMSOIL claims their product meets the specification. No - it has not been tested by VW, and it is not on the approved VWaG list.

Details:
Valvoline is backing it as suitable for 505.01 Think about it - Why would they submit for teting when the specification will be obsolete in a year or two? They are likely focusing on the newer specifications. The one thing that Valvoline can say is that they have had Oils certified, and that they do know what it takes to meet 505.01

I have had email with Valvoline on this, they are supposed to update the web site with the new specification sheet soon. If anyone really wants a copy of the new .pdf for the Synpower Products - email Valvoline and ask specifically for it - they will sent it to you. If enough people ask, maybe they will update thier web site. I have a copy, but don't have permissions to redistribute at this time.

If anyone has questions on using SynPower 5W40 vs. Mobile1 0W40, take a look at this data I saw over on the VWVORTEX site an analysis done on a 2.0L AEG Gas Jetta and the M1 0W40 didn't do well compared to the Valvoline 5W40 SynPower.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2115738

Note: I relize this is a gasolione engine, but the numbers don't lie.

Reference Links:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=150898

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151029

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148311

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/IMG_0600.JPG

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I see they used allot of calcium in the 5W40. It does look like good oil. I hope Valvoline will submit oil for 507. When they do I would be very happy to use a American oil. I think Valvoline can afford the testing and 507 will be around long enough to justify it. The TBN was very high as the ash, that is not good for a fixed interval oil, but more a extended.

I just looked at the test and I am not a big Mobil fan but the test is bias. The additives in the older Mobil oil would not do as well as the newer additive package in the Valvoline. The test needs to be conducted with Mobil's latest oils if we are to consider the test fair.

Last edited:

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
valvoline 505.00

Drivbiwire said:
Take a picture and post it, I simply posted the specs directly OFF THE VALVOLINE WEB SITE.

No bashing just pointing out a descrepency in what you posted.

DB
i was in autozone today and it did say vw 505.00 on the valvoline bottle. :D

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
tdijerry said:
i was in autozone today and it did say vw 505.00 on the valvoline bottle. :D
check the pic. i will run this oil in my next oil change since I put lots of miles on my PD

Last edited:

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Forgive my ignorance, but if the 5W30 is 505.01 approved, would you be so kind as to point me to a list published by VAG that mentions it? It is entirely possible that I have missed such a list, and I am now very curious.

I agree that it would be nice to see a 507.00 oil from a local (read north american) manufacturer, maybe valvoline will come through for one?

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
SUNRG said:
IIRC - the 5w-30 is officially VW505.01 approved. the 5w-40 will also list 505.01, uses the same additive chemistry as the 5w-30, but was not submitted to VAG for 505.01 approval.
YDRC (You don't recall correctly) :)

The 5w-30 is a special product, "Synpower MST", which is not 505.01 approved but is in the VWAG formal approval process. (The data sheet says "505.01 pending".) It's not the same as regular Synpower 5W-30. It's currently available in Europe, but it's not clear whether, when, or how it will be available in the USA.

Valvoline does have other Euro-only products that are 505.01 approved, and 507.00 approved as well.

The Synpower 5W-40 sold in the USA does not have VWAG approval, but some of the packages seem to have a 505.01 notation on them, and Valvoline insists that it's okay for 505.01 applications.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
TIWIRR (this is what i recalled reading) ;)

from Valvoline:
The current Synpower 5W40 is not approved against the VW 505.01 specification. It uses VW 505.01 capable chemistry, similar to the chemistry used in our Synpower MST 5W-30 that we are progressing an official VW 505.01 approval on, and the 5W40 meets all the physical and chemical characteristics required for the VW 505.01 specification. We feel based on the engine test data and the Physical/Chemical characteristics it has VW 505.01 performance and we fully back its use in applications calling for a VW 505.01 approved product.
my above post has been deleted due to inaccurate content

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
checked another Walmart, all the 5W-30 had only 505.00 listed. BUT the 10W-30 had included 505.01 :eek: There was a change on the labels on some point to include the new specs because another MB spec was added too

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
A bump and a comment: I agree with dieseldorf that Valvoline/Ashland Oil appears to be "out of control" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. See post #24 by SUNRG for what appears to be their strategy.

I would recommend that folks avoid all Valvoline synthetic products, since there is no way to know what specs, if any, that they actually meet. This would also apply to non-VW and non-Audi vehicles as well.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Its kind of like an obsession for some.

TornadoRed said:
" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. .
This is why I stick with using a VW certified ONLY

When an oil company puts "meets specifications ***.**"
there is no check and balance unless VW, MB, etc. certify it.

Sad part is, people insist on using this stuff, and actaully go out of their way to get it. Its kind of like an obsession for some.

I take the sure and easy route. Go to Wally or AutoZone and buy the Certified oil.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
probably don't care if the oil is made from milk and honey, as long as it passes

I would assume a manufacturer such as VW or MB states what the oil needs to do under certain parameters. They probably don't care if the oil is made from milk and honey, as long as it passes their test criteria.

Then it is up to a oil vendor to produce an oil to pass those tests.

For an oil company to copy some one else ingredients and say it "meets specifications" is not good enough for me.

As we may have experienced in following a food recipe, using a certain brand ingredient can make or break the end result. Some times other ingredients can be used achieve the same result. Either way, the taste test must be performed.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
TornadoRed said:
A bump and a comment: I agree with dieseldorf that Valvoline/Ashland Oil appears to be "out of control" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. See post #24 by SUNRG for what appears to be their strategy.

I would recommend that folks avoid all Valvoline synthetic products, since there is no way to know what specs, if any, that they actually meet. This would also apply to non-VW and non-Audi vehicles as well.
FWIW - i have nothing but my gut to go with on this, but i think Valvoline knows every last detail of all VW specs, as they have numerous VW approved oils, and my gut says that every oil Valvoline's putting OEM specs on is legitimately formulated to those specifications.

when was the last time anyone's seen a bad Valvoline UOA? i personally have seen some very good ones...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
SUNRG said:
FWIW - i have nothing but my gut to go with on this, but i think Valvoline knows every last detail of all VW specs, as they have numerous VW approved oils, and my gut says that every oil Valvoline's putting OEM specs on is legitimately formulated to those specifications.

when was the last time anyone's seen a bad Valvoline UOA? i personally have seen some very good ones...
My gut says not to trust Valvoline very far at all. Their DuraBlend 5w40 sold in Europe meets the 505.01, but it's not sold here.

As for their other products, I suppose the Premium Blue Extreme synthetic 5w40 might be okay, CI-4 or CI-4 Plus and all.

If I had a PD engine, I wouldn't use Valvoline -- too many other good producs out there.

[Disclaimer: I once worked for Ashland Oil, and I own shares in the company. It doesn't mean I like their products.]

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
valvoline

I want to tread lightly as this is only my second post so here goes:

I dug out an old Valvoline Synpower 5w40 and on the back it says
VW502/505Approved

( I've been using this - been getting it at Pep Boys for 18 mos - since I got my 01 tdi Jetta in Mar 05 )

I picked up a fresh batch this past weekend and the new bottle now says
Meets Performance of
VW 502/505/505.01

IMHO the new bottles do not say VW approved but are only certified by Valvoline, that said I guess that I've been doing OK since my 01 only needs the 505 spec - I'll save a couple bottles with different labels just in case though.